Paganism---Tree Lore

Gallantrv2427

Gallantrv2427

I finallly ordered my wand...it's cedar. I've always felt a strong connection to cedar for its strength and resilience. Trees of various kinds are held up to certain esteem in many pagan paths.

I'm curious what wand woods other people choose, and certain beliefs people have regarding trees. :)

Regarding trees? They are great for fire..

Regarding trees... Being raised Muslim, we were told that even standing under the shade of a tree was a sin XD.

I don't really like the religion or any in terms of following them but I love finding out about other religions because they all have something to teach me in the way they are respectful to each other (most of the time).

So with that in mind: what are paths and do trees hold certain gods or...? I'm so curious and it'd be good to find out from someone who actually belongs to the religion.

Congrats for getting your wand; it sounds like a big commitment.

Thanks,

Badger.

andreas1033

Why do you think hollywood is called hollywood?

You can never be too sure what others know, that the majority do not.

What you are doing is called a familiar.

Anthracite_Impreza

What do you actually do with the wand? Is it ceremonial or actually used for something? Obviously not a Pagan, but I do love forests, particularly oaks (though that may just be because they make acorns and Jays love acorns and I love Jays :D).

Regarding trees... Being raised Muslim, we were told that even standing under the shade of a tree was a sin XD.

I don't even understand this .__.

@Anthracite_Impreza I don't either XD. We were told that the devil hides in shadows... They believe it so I can't judge.

@andreas1033 I know that knowing the view of one person does not automatically mean I have the view of all people in that religion. I just enjoy finding things out from people who have an actual experience. Sorry if I came off as generalising things; I hate doing that.

andreas1033

What do you actually do with the wand? Is it ceremonial or actually used for something? Obviously not a Pagan, but I do love forests, particularly oaks (though that may just be because they make acorns and Jays love acorns and I love Jays :D).

Its called a familiar, if you want to understand it, read up what a familiar is. I am sure there must be people whom have written on such things.

andreas1033

@andreas1033 I know that knowing the view of one person does not automatically mean I have the view of all people in that religion. I just enjoy finding things out from people who have an actual experience. Sorry if I came off as generalising things; I hate doing that.

Like i said, why is hollywood called hollywood?

The idea behind what op is talking about is called a familiar.

My wand is willow because that is the tree I grew up loving. Willows were a huge part of my childhood as our property was covered in them. I wouldn't have a wand that is not willow, however I hardly ever use mine anymore. Satanic rituals are performed with a sword or ceremonial knife. My knife rocks!!!! Ritual is so psychologically healthy, I do quite a few but I do them very differently then I used to do. A cedar wand sounds dreamy, is it aromatic?

@andreas ah, thanks. Just looked it up. It makes sense now XD. I really didn't get what you were saying there.

Qutenkuddly

In Wicca,a wand is a tool used to direct energy. Different types of wood have what are known as correspondences; they are believed to represent a number of different qualities.

Gallantrv2427

In Wicca,a wand is a tool used to direct energy. Different types of wood have what are known as correspondences; they are believed to represent a number of different qualities.

Yes. This ^^

Though, I'm curious about the concept of it being a familiar. I always understood a familiar as a living entity or spirit, not a tool or companion instrument such as a wand or cup.

Gallantrv2427

My wand is willow because that is the tree I grew up loving. Willows were a huge part of my childhood as our property was covered in them. I wouldn't have a wand that is not willow, however I hardly ever use mine anymore. Satanic rituals are performed with a sword or ceremonial knife. My knife rocks!!!! Ritual is so psychologically healthy, I do quite a few but I do them very differently then I used to do. A cedar wand sounds dreamy, is it aromatic?

See that makes sense to me! I have a fondness for cedar the same way you do for willow. I had been looking a while to find someone who could make one out of cedar that I liked. I do not practice Satanism, but I agree that ritual is an important part of developing a healthy spirit. Even in the mundane, like coffee in the morning!

Gallantrv2427

" So with that in mind: what are paths and do trees hold certain gods or...? I'm so curious and it'd be good to find out from someone who actually belongs to the religion."

I'd be bold enough to suggest that almost all faith traditions have some sort of tree that they assign symbolic or spiritual meaning towards. Cedar, Oak, Elm, and Holly are pretty common.. The two pagan traditions I am exploring are Celtic and Norse; Celtics (according to some texts) are very tree-centered, and include the cedar as the tree of life or arbovitae, and the Norse hold the Oak (Thors tee) and Ash (The tree that holds up the 9 realms) to high esteem.

Qutenkuddly

Yes. This ^^

Though, I'm curious about the concept of it being a familiar. I always understood a familiar as a living entity or spirit, not a tool or companion instrument such as a wand or cup.

So am I. Been involved in Wicca for over 20 years and I've never heard of a tool being referred to as a familiar. That's usually reserved for critters, corporeal or otherwise. I've heard about specific tools having a personality, though.

Gallantrv2427

Yes. This ^^

So am I. Been involved in Wicca for over 20 years and I've never heard of a tool being referred to as a familiar. That's usually reserved for critters, corporeal or otherwise. I've heard about specific tools having a personality, though.

Yeah, exactly. Personality or energy sure; in the same way that musicians have a "bond" with their instruments...but they aren't legit friends or advice givers. Not being critical, just curious. I guess other traditions could see things differently.

Qutenkuddly

Now that I'm back at a computer, this thread has been moved from Intersectionality to Off-A.

Qutenkuddly,

Intersectionality Moderator

• 3 weeks later...

I thought paganism was a recognized religion, as is wiccan. Why off-a and not intersectionality?

Its called a familiar, if you want to understand it, read up what a familiar is. I am sure there must be people whom have written on such things.

A familiar? I mostly know wands as tools for ritual work. Are you a pagan?

Edit: I see Qutenkuddly addressed this too. Oh, and congrats on your wand Gallantrv2427. :)

Qutenkuddly

I thought paganism was a recognized religion, as is wiccan. Why off-a and not intersectionality?

Paganism is in Intersectionality, like other religious community groups. Threads like this one, however, are not so much community specific. The Tarot thread, for example, involves more than just pagans.

Paganism is in Intersectionality, like other religious community groups. Threads like this one, however, are not so much community specific. The Tarot thread, for example, involves more than just pagans.

Thanks, Qute.

Archived