How to design an asexual character?

shadowstrategist

shadowstrategist
Hey!

I’m a grad student working on a thesis about character design, specifically with characters on the asexual spectrum. So an open question!

How would you design a character if the only requirement was that they were ace? (for consistency, I’m going for modern day, no superpowers)?

Edit: I'm looking into if there's any bias or trends in how a character is designed (such as making the character an outcast because ace is often invisible), especially compared to how ace characters are usually represented in media.

Their description can be as detailed as you want, or if anyone wants specifics here’s a basic laundry list.

Role they would have in a story: Hero/villain/love interest/ etc.

Appearance

Height

Weight

Physique

Hair

Skin/Ethnicity

Weapons/accessories

Clothes/Fashion

Personality

Attitude (Cocky, shy, flirty, etc)

Motivations

Weaknesses/flaws

Strengths

Fears

What makes them mad

What makes them happy

Job if they have one

Skills

Even the most basic design info helps!

EmotionalAndroid

Hi there!

I roleplay a lot and make up new characters for almost every roleplay. Every single RP character I have ever had, including those I had before I knew about asexuality, has been asexual. Therefore, I do not have a particular set of attributes he/she must have. Being asexual is just a very small, insignificant factor in their overall identity. After all, I feel that we are the same as everyone else, we just don't care about certain things. Other attributes, personalities traits, appearances, etc are not tied to the orientation.

If it would be helpful, I'd be happy to post some info about some of my past characters, especially those whose orientation is a bit more significant to their identity.

nerdperson777

I don't see the asexual as a villain. There have already been stories where people misinterpret asexuality as celibacy and the villain became evil because they weren't loved or something.

Age, not too young. People could say they're not old enough to know.

Gender, it could be either.

Average height and weight, everything should be normal about them. We don't need to emphasize their asexuality in their appearance. Although, a purple scarf might be nice. :P Something small. I'm not very fashionable so a regular shirt and pants is my own opinion. But if there's a scarf, maybe also a jacket.

Personality can be cocky. Motivated by other ideas, maybe hobbies. Might be weak to something random like idk, peanut butter. Best in extrovert situations because no sex on the mind? Might fear something normal, like spiders. Misuse of the term asexual makes them mad. Friends make them happy.

Could be a mechanic (idk I'm just thinking random stuff) who really tries to make customers happy. Good at finding concrete details.

I could be biased just because I'm inclined on the gender spectrum.

Honestly, I don't really understand how they'd differ particularly from any other character of any other orientation, end of the day.

I mean, when it comes to characters, one single aspect doesn't dominate them necessarily. And what does dominate their characterisation depends on their society and experiences.Maybe you'll have an abrasive character who's ace, maybe you'll have a timid one who's ace. Just as you might have someone abrasive or timid in any other orientation.

For sake of argument however, I basically got to AVEN because a character I was writing rather literally just 'happened to be' asexual. Homoromantic, specifically...but, due to her species (that I made up) being Reptilian and biologically non-sexual outside of the species mating season (as in, mating season is the only time they ever can do it), it just isn't an issue for them.

So far as it goes for myself, a character is just a name that you observe and follow around, get a feel for. They have a tendency to surprise you when given free reign. My mentioned character above was not expected to even have orientation come up, seeing as she was more focussed on much more pressing matters in the world. Was more a glimpse into the private places than anything else.

Apologies if not making much sense.

Curious Decay

gender-agender

age-24

role-villain

height-5"10

physique-slim

weight-140lb

hair-mid back length black or white

skin/eth-pale/white

weapons-.45 stainless 1911 and a knife

cloths-skinny jeans, black button up shirt, black sneakers, black or dark purple trench coat, skull necklace, stud earings

attitude-quite and calculating but also playful at times. likes to observe others, manipulate the situation, while at the same time only likes to interact directly on occasion.

motivations-to pass the time and gather information for informations sake

weakness/flaws-is often lonely, has difficulty relating to others, and instead of hating others directs the hatred to himself "self loathing"

strengths-is usualy cool and calm, can analyze a situation and has no problem killing people if they find it nessisary to do so

fears-the isolation and self loathing will never end

causes them anger-having to interact with people they don't want to interact with

makes them happy-sweets

job-librarian

skills-manipulation, and analysis

sooo, yeah...that seems about right as an idea, hope it helps, lol

I'm thinking genderless is a big key to making a player clearly asexual. Look at my avatar for example - obvious female character, and that female body and female clothing sexualizes her.

How is this even a question? People are so much more than their sexual orientation. Its like asking for a gay character or a trans character. Isn't AVEN about trying to demonstrate that we are people like everybody else and that we don't wear all black and plan swattings. I've conversed with so many different people on this site, some I loved, some I loathed. Asexual is just not a thing to build a character around IMO

Crystalkinz

Role they would have in a story: Hero/villain/love interest/ etc. Hero

Appearance

Height: 5"4

Weight: 128 lbs.

Physique: Slightly curvy, cuddly-looking Cx

Hair: Brown with blue highlights, soft curls. Down to about shoulder-blade area.

Skin/Ethnicity: Olive skin

Weapons/accessories: Black ring on right middle finger

Clothes/Fashion: Loves baggy shirts with skinny jeans/leggings. Likes to wear darker colours. Wears belts, beanies. Running shoes. Doesn't wear jewelry, loves to have painted nails.

Personality

Attitude (Cocky, shy, flirty, etc) Quiet, laid-back, but super approachable. Bright personality, very likable. A big talker (in small groups), likes attention but doesn't like huge crowds. Enjoys being away from people sometimes but usually pretty social. Friendly, and absolutely loves hedgehogs.

Motivations: Wants to become a composer (classical music) and uses her piano and cello skills as her muse and a way of coping with anything.

Weaknesses/flaws: Not a good public speaker, afraid to share her work because she is afraid to be judged. Doesn't know how to deal with her boyfriend as she's afraid for how their relationship will progress (he doesn't know she's ace).

Strengths: Is a very good musician and artist, very intelligent.

Fears: Her boyfriend breaking up with her because she's ace, heights.

What makes them mad: People who don't take the time to understand LGBTQIA+ people but make comments about it anyway. Animal abuse.

What makes them happy: Cuddles, hedgehogs, baking, music.

Job if they have one: Volunteers at a wildlife sanctuary.

Skills: Music, art, baking/cooking.

Basically an ace character doesn't have to be any different from a regular character in most ways. It's really the storyline that will be affected by the orientation, not the character themselves. For example, her fear is created only because of the storyline. As a character alone, she's pretty normal.

I'm thinking genderless is a big key to making a player clearly asexual. Look at my avatar for example - obvious female character, and that female body and female clothing sexualizes her.

That is really ignorant. plenty of agendered people are allosexual and they would consider this post hatred against their gender and sexuality. I wear female clothing and everybody knows I am female bodied and I am not sexy at all. SO ugh to your sexist transphobic remarks.

Marshmallow Tree

How is this even a question? People are so much more than their sexual orientation. Its like asking for a gay character or a trans character. Isn't AVEN about trying to demonstrate that we are people like everybody else and that we don't wear all black and plan swattings. I've conversed with so many different people on this site, some I loved, some I loathed. Asexual is just not a thing to build a character around IMO

I don't think it's about that. People aren't debating whether asexuals are just like everyone else (to which I hope everyone understands that we are). They said it's for a thesis. To be fair, I think when people design an asexual character they may write then differently to a straight/gay etc character because of the way the world reacts around them/because they want to project a part of themselves in them. For instance, asexuals aren't as visible as the others, so they may tend to have a bias of making asexual characters an outcast. Being reasonable, people have preferences of the way they write certain characters and this is just exploring that, just like the bias if they had to write a hero/villain or an adopted character/biological parented child etc etc.

If I understood well, the question is more about how asexuals can be perceived as so in a story/as a character.

I would say male, no particular age, approachable and friendly, yet straight-forward (as opposed to flirty or sexy ect.), and having one or several very very close friend that never turn into romance. As for the role in the story, I wouldn't say hero, but rather a "good" character that the hero-s know reliable.

Man, now I want to write a novel with an asexual person as first character...

shadowstrategist

I don't think it's about that. People aren't debating whether asexuals are just like everyone else (to which I hope everyone understands that we are). They said it's for a thesis. To be fair, I think when people design an asexual character they may write then differently to a straight/gay etc character because of the way the world reacts around them/because they want to project a part of themselves in them. For instance, asexuals aren't as visible as the others, so they may tend to have a bias of making asexual characters an outcast. Being reasonable, people have preferences of the way they write certain characters and this is just exploring that, just like the bias if they had to write a hero/villain or an adopted character/biological parented child etc etc.

Sorry if the question's confusing anyone! I'm looking into if there's any bias or trends in how a character is designed (similar to what Marshmallow said with making the character an outcast), especially compared to how ace characters are usually represented in media.

shadowstrategist

Hi there!

I roleplay a lot and make up new characters for almost every roleplay. Every single RP character I have ever had, including those I had before I knew about asexuality, has been asexual. Therefore, I do not have a particular set of attributes he/she must have. Being asexual is just a very small, insignificant factor in their overall identity. After all, I feel that we are the same as everyone else, we just don't care about certain things. Other attributes, personalities traits, appearances, etc are not tied to the orientation.

If it would be helpful, I'd be happy to post some info about some of my past characters, especially those whose orientation is a bit more significant to their identity.

That'd be awesome!

EmotionalAndroid

I chose this character to share because his asexuality is slightly more relevant than it is in my other characters, due to his repulsion. Again, all my characters are asexual, but it rarely is relevant. I design them just like I would any other character. Because I am a repulsed aro ace myself, I actually never think about relationships much so that just naturally shows up in my characters. It’s not really a conscious decision on my part. I think with this guy, though, I gave him my sense of repulsion because I want to give an otherwise ideal character one of my own less-than-positive characteristics.

Role they would have in a story: The main character? I’unno.

Appearance

Height: 5’8”

Weight: Not sure of the exact number.

Physique: Slightly slimmer than average

Hair: Wavy and dark chestnut in color. Depending on when I use this character, he either has it in a short military mohawk, or in a side-parted old-fashioned style (Think 1940’s men’s haircuts)

Skin/Ethnicity: Caucasian, but has a decent tan

Weapons/accessories: He usually carries an Ace of Spades card around in his wallet, just for giggles. It is sort of a subtle pride thing, although he enjoys the confusion it causes and the mystery that it creates about him. He wears a black ring on the middle finger of his right hand, and a plain silver band on his pinky.

Clothes/Fashion: I usually see him in a jumpsuit for either of his jobs, or in a collared shirt and tie and slacks.

Personality

Attitude: He’s a very confident man, cocky at times, cynical and incredibly sarcastic. He’s also a real goofball and enjoys joking about and good-natured jibing.

Motivations: He just wants to live life and enjoy all the memories he creates. Like anybody, he just wants to be happy. To him, happiness is having friends and being successful at his work.

Weaknesses/flaws: He is a repulsed ace and cannot stand things sexual in nature. He often becomes physically ill from such things and has to leave the room to cope. People are often surprised by this reaction from him, since he outwardly appears to be a very commanding of his emotions.

Strengths: Confident as heck and generally doesn’t take things personally

Fears: Losing his best friend. Secretly, he fears being alone.

What makes them mad: People being condescending and treating him like a child.

What makes them happy: Goofing off with his best friend

Job if they have one: In my RPs, he is usually a mechanic or a soldier.

Skills: Fixing things, being witty, a dry sense of humor

Your O.C. can be anything you make them to be. They can look and act like a regular person because they are. Asexual doesn't define the whole character, it's just a part of them. So just make them like a regular character - but like make sure that when that certain topic pops up they seem disgusted or something by it.

Add some purple in there too lol

Aces come in every single shape and size and gender-type soooo to sit here and give you height and weight etc. of what an ace "looks like" is sort of....strange. I am definitely aro ace but I am definitely not androgynous. You can tell I'm female from 100 yards away. (I don't dress "sexy" though".)

Just make sure that if they have a certain level of attraction, for example, they can appreciate beauty, that's where it stops. Sex would probably in fact not ever even be in their minds...ever!...because that's just not a place where they are, unless society brings up the subject.

I think it could be "interesting" to focus on how the character expresses its own asexuality...

Because like the rest of the world, we're all different: some don't think about it at all and don't get the point, others have thought about it and realised they aren't interested. Some are curious but haven't tried, some have tried and it didn't change anything for them. Some would be okay with doing it under certain circumstances and for others it's just a big no-no. Some think it's disgusting and others just don't care, etc..

Apart from that, we're like everyone else so they can be of any gender, any age, any (a)romantic orientation, anything. There's no "asexual model".

LeftyGreenMario

If it's a children's kind of fiction, it's pretty much a given that the character is an asexual! In more adult fiction, you could perhaps design the character as a bit more extreme asexual just to get the point across. Don't overdo it! I mean, have them indifferent, disgusted, or distant when the topic of sex shows up. Or have them not laugh at all at sexual jokes or innuendos; a puzzled or an irritated facial expression. But subtle is the key here, and don't stereotype the person. It's only in these kinds of situations where the asexuality shows.

I would just look at any lead character in most films or books and remove the sexual attraction. I would personally like to see more stories where the lead character is aro-ace. I'm not sure why romance and sex are so prominent in stories, especially when there are usually more pressing issues for the characters to face XD

Aces come in all shapes and sizes. some are introvert, some are extrovert.

This probably hasn't been very helpful for your thesis. Unless you get a lot of people saying "there are no common characteristics" - in which case you will have a very interesting thesis to write ;)

LeftyGreenMario

I would just look at any lead character in most films or books and remove the sexual attraction. I would personally like to see more stories where the lead character is aro-ace. I'm not sure why romance and sex are so prominent in stories, especially when there are usually more pressing issues for the characters to face XD

Probably because the authors themselves are more likely to be sexual and romantic! :P

shadowstrategist

This probably hasn't been very helpful for your thesis. Unless you get a lot of people saying "there are no common characteristics" - in which case you will have a very interesting thesis to write ;)

This has actually been very helpful! None of the other people in my class seem to really understand what ace is, so they're all expecting something along the lines of a socially awkward Sherlock type of character in baggy clothes, like there's a certain way an ace character is XD...so now I have plenty of comments refuting that opinion :D

For instance, asexuals aren't as visible as the others, so they may tend to have a bias of making asexual characters an outcast.

If asexuals are not visible outwardly as being asexual, then why would the character be an outcast? Outcasts are usually those who are SEEN as being different.

Since there isn't really an "asexual character", recommendations are just subjective to the person recommending the character. A 56-year-old man wearing a business suit is just as asexual IRL as a 19-year-old female wearing jeans and a baggy shirt.

The writer should just choose whatever physical/mental/emotional attributes of a character they want, and then assign that character to be asexual in the thesis.

EverHopeful

What an interesting topic, Shadowstrategist! If I'm honest, I would have assumed that a specifically designated ace character would be constructed in the Sherlock model - brilliant, distant, egotistical etc. The variety of characters submitted is a pleasant surprise! I wonder what the results would be though if you asked a group of sexuals to design an ace character ...? I suspect that the submissions would be far more stereotypical of what an ace would be 'expected' to look like or act.

I once actually tried to write a homoromantic regency novel (think Pride and Prejudice, only with Lizzy Bennett ending up with Georgiana Darcy as opposed to Fitzwilliam). I never got past the third chapter, but I was rather fond of the protagonists. One was a rather shy, artistic woc based on Dido Elizabeth Belle. I always envisioned her as dark skinned, pretty, and short (rather like a shorter version of Samira Wiley). She was going to have a romantic friendship with an outspoken proto-feminist bluestocking - a very enthusiastic girl, but a bit scatty (I think I based her appearance on Maggie Gylenhall). They were going to set up home together by the coast and write and illustrate a book together...or something. It was a while ago, lol.

LeftyGreenMario

What an interesting topic, Shadowstrategist! If I'm honest, I would have assumed that a specifically designated ace character would be constructed in the Sherlock model - brilliant, distant, egotistical etc. The variety of characters submitted is a pleasant surprise! I wonder what the results would be though if you asked a group of sexuals to design an ace character ...? I suspect that the submissions would be far more stereotypical of what an ace would be expected to like or act.

I'd actually kind of like to see the results. Although perhaps outside this forum, since, you know, it's AVEN.

Probably because the authors themselves are more likely to be sexual and romantic! :P

Yeah but, why such an emphasis!?

Running away from zombies? That girl looks hot!

War in space? Kissing couple.

Slave in a future corporate government? Unrequited love.

This has actually been very helpful! None of the other people in my class seem to really understand what ace is, so they're all expecting something along the lines of a socially awkward Sherlock type of character in baggy clothes, like there's a certain way an ace character is XD...so now I have plenty of comments refuting that opinion :D

Yay!

UncommonNonsense

Here's one. Based more or less physically on yours truly. But the mental/emotional/personality traits are a mix of many people I know and not really on me beyond the gender identification and the introverted nature.

Bio-gender: Female.

Identifies: Gender-Neutral with a slight bias towards masculine.

Height: 5'5"

Build: Curvy and plush. Strong.

Eye colour: Blue/Grey, changes with mood and lighting. Wears glasses. Almost never wears contact lenses.

Hair colour: Auburn/Red. Usually a little messy because she doesn't care all that much about appearance/surface issues and loves to drive around with all the windows down.

Personality type: Introvert, though generally friendly and welcoming to 1:1 interactions, dislikes crowds and meeting a lot of new people at once. Quiet and rather retiring unless she is very comfortable, then her comedic sarcasm and quirky word-play come out. Creative and likes to write stories. A bit too trusting and naive at times, but never when she's at work. Willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. Likes animals a lot but ambivalent about kids. Doesn't like noise and chaos. Smiles easily and often, but frowns without realizing it when she concentrates. Often a little anxious, but her unconventional job has made her good at hiding anything that might be perceived as fear/weakness when in intense situations and when at work. She seems to have two distinct personalities.. the 'off duty' version: easygoing, a bit anxious, a little shy, a bit socially awkward, smiley, and open, and the 'at work' version: tough, demanding, louder, forceful, resilient, suspicious, hard. This is required, since she works as a prison guard and co-teaches the prison's creative writing course and all the grammar/lit courses for inmates studying for their GED. She has helped quite a few inmates pursue publication of their short stories, poetry, and novels but has never submitted anything of her own for potential publication, since she views her own stories as private, personal worlds. Doesn't socialize with many of her coworkers. Tries to keep her home/social life and her work life very separate.

Interests: She's fascinated with psychology, neurology, and atypical personality development. She holds this interest mostly because of the prison inmates she deals with every day, but also because of her own differences, which she is still trying to fully comprehend. Over the time she's been researching, she has wondered if many different diagnoses might be applied to her, like Hypo-active Sexual Desire, Asperger's, PTSD, Gender Identity Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, etc. None of these has fit her completely except asexuality, and this sometimes frustrates her and sometimes relieves her, depending on how self-accepting she's feeling at the time. She loves writing stories, and many of these are long, involved, epic, and complex. She loves her pets, a goofy grey kitten and an ancient beagle/spaniel cross. She likes playing arcade-style games on her Ipad and her PC. She finds forensic sciences interesting and watches a lot of legal/forensic shows/documentaries. She also likes mysteries, horror movies and stories, and authors who feature a lot of originality and clever word-play in their books, like Terry Pratchett and Tom Robbins. She reads a lot.

Home Life: She did have a short-term common-law relationship in her mid-20's that lasted only three years before her and her common-law husband's vastly differing sexual drives spelled the end of the relationship. Due to her age and the lack of good information on less-common sexual orientations when she was young, she didn't learn about asexuality until the very end stages of the relationship, when the couples' therapist the pair visited to work on the relationship finally suggested that this may be the cause for her complete disinterest and moderate revulsion toward sex. Previously, she had allowed her partner to nag, coerce, whine, or bully her into sexual activity, which led her to feel resentful and disgusted towards him, and her attempts to put him off and avoid his unwanted sexual pressure led him to resent and feel angry and aggressive towards her. When the relationship became untenable for them both, they parted, she moved out, and they have never even spoken since she left, despite still living in the same small city and often seeing each other around when out doing errands. She doesn't hold a grudge or feel upset anymore, but just has nothing she feels she needs to say to him. He still resents and hates her and has tried to make trouble for her with friends, neighbours, and at work. She has been single ever since their relationship ended. Possible story arc here re: the ex-partner maliciously outing her to friends/coworkers/neighbours due to his inability to come to terms with her lack of desire for him and their break-up and the reactions of people she is forced to deal with while the local rumour mill buzzes and churns.

She lives in a small, very old former farmhouse in the middle of a suburb that grew up around it. Though the house is well cared for, it's age means that it often requires costly repairs and upgrades, which causes her worry and stress. She shares the home with her elderly, frail father who is going through age-related cognitive decline due to dementia and small strokes. She invited him to come live with her after her mother's death from cancer five years earlier. Her father doesn't have any idea she's asexual. She hasn't tried to tell him, knowing he won't understand and will just forget anyway. He frequently pressures her to resume dating and tells her often that he wants to see her happily married before he dies. This bothers her, but she says nothing.

Because of her father's dementia-induced unpredictability, the next-door neighbour's teenaged son comes over to stay with him, watch him, and care for him whenever she is at work, unless the boy is in school. He is paid for this, but not a lot. The woman helps tutor the boy as part of the trade agreement between them, since the boy is severely dyslexic but very bright and wants to get grades that are good enough to get a scholarship to college once he graduates high school. She and the neighbour kid are friends despite being of differing generations. The boy doesn't know she's asexual and privately suspects she's a lesbian, due to her rather masculine way of dressing and her lack of 'girly' mannerisms and interests. When the neighbour kid is in school, she has to pay for a home-care support worker to tend to her father and keep him safe from his own unpredictable habits, which costs quite a lot and adds even more stress. Possible story arc here is a concern about whether the home care PSW is stealing or abusing her father when she's at work.

She has three friends at work, of varying levels of closeness. One is her supervisor and mentor, a 50-something former air-force Sergeant who is rather protective toward her and other female guards and sometimes treats her a little like a daughter. He doesn't really understand her and is often after her to date, marry, settle down, and have a family "before her biological clock stops". He's more old-fashioned but isn't malicious or hateful.. he just doesn't get it. He's married and isn't after the woman himself, but often tries to set her up with male relatives, other prison guards, friends, etc. She's tried to explain before that she isn't interested, but he really just doesn't get it. Frequent aspects of the story revolve around this lack of understanding despite their fairly close friendship.

Another friend is a fellow prison guard with whom she shares the majority of her shifts. This friend is torn between knowing she's asexual and coming to realize that he is developing feelings for her that he isn't sure she'll ever reciprocate. He has never asked her whether she'd ever want a relationship again, even if that relationship did not include sex. He feels unable to approach her about this, so he plays the role of best friend and tries never to pressure her, with varying success. Story arc potential here as he tries to pussyfoot around her, not realizing he needn't be. She'd be amenable to a non-sexual platonic domestic partnership, but doesn't even realize he's interested. Frequent missed opportunities, misunderstandings, and gaffes ensue.

Her last friend/acquaintance at work is a woman who is four years younger. They don't know each other nearly as well but are friendly. This woman works as a guard and teaches visual art, photography, illustration, and computer-aided drafting to inmates. She's a hobby-artist who really is very talented but hasn't got the time that making art her full-time career would require. She also really likes teaching the subjects she loves to the prisoners. While this friend is single and interested in women, she has not yet made a play for the asexual woman, despite not knowing she's asexual and suspecting that she's a lesbian as well. The reason for this is that she's usually more attracted to women who are considered more conventionally attractive, ie: taller, much thinner, etc. However, the more she sees of the asexual woman, the more convinced she is that the woman is a lesbian and begins to pressure her to come out of the closet as a lesbian. The asexual character doesn't know how to handle this. She jumps to the conclusion that the lesbian woman is interested in a sexual relationship with her, which makes her feel horrible.

There are a few enemies at work and in town as well. One of these is the pastor at the local holy roller church that her ex-partner attends. Her ex went to this uber-right-wing blowhard and ranted about how his ex-partner was an unnatural cocktease who hated men and was likely a lesbian. Because of this, the pastor has really started becoming very hateful towards non-heterosexuals of all types in their community, especially the asexual woman. This has led some of his easily-led flock to vandalizing the homes, cars, and businesses known to be owned by gay, lesbian, transsexual, asexual people, including the asexual woman. As time passes, threats of physical violence start to emerge. Frequent story arc revolves around the effects within the community, the response of the police and others in the community, and the effects this has on the people who have been targeted. The half-dozen or so brainless louts who are actively being led into hate crimes via their religious 'leader' are also enemies, but are more of an add-on to the pastor character rather than developed characters themselves.

Another enemy is a former prison inmate, now free after serving his time. While he was a prisoner, he had tried to flirt with the asexual woman in an attempt to build a romantic relationship with her that he could exploit. When she didn't respond, he couldn't deal with the perceived slight to his manhood. He's been free for 8 months, but is still trying to 'get back at her' for turning him down. He's recently began trying to find out where she lives and where she hangs out.

The last 'enemy' is her former partner's elderly mother, who lives in the same neighbourhood, three houses down. This old woman makes up fake rumours about the asexual woman and spreads them around. While she is more of a nuisance than an enemy, her nastiness is still disheartening since it's right on the asexual woman's 'home turf'. Some of the neighbours have seen through the old woman's nasty stories and actively defend their asexual neighbour, others have fallen for the ugly rumours and actively exclude the woman and her father from neighbourhood events.

Incidental characters include two of her father's friends/drinking buddies who still visit despite their old buddy's failing mental state and try to help the old man and his daughter, the family of the teenaged boy who comes over to tend to the old man (mother, father, younger sister), other neighbours, friends of both the asexual woman and her ex that have known them since their couple-hood, various townsfolk, other prison staff and inmates, and people who run and staff the various businesses in the city.

So, that's it.. Main character, secondary characters, incidental characters, antagonists, and a few story arcs.. see, it really isn't that tough to design an Ace character. Feel free to use this if you want. Change it if you wish to. I'm no writer, so I daresay there are lots of elements that could be improved in what I've done here.

We're just like everyone else, in fiction and in real life.. We're all ages, races, incomes, educational levels, systems of belief and unbelief, genders, identities, personality types, and interests. So if you want to create a good Ace character, just start with creating a good character! For most of us, our asexuality is part of us, but not the whole of us. It's there like our eye colour, height, ethnicity, or age.. just one facet of the complex system that makes each one of us unique and interesting. The fact that we're asexual often ends up being less important to us than those people who don't understand think it ought to be.

Marshmallow Tree

For instance, asexuals aren't as visible as the others, so they may tend to have a bias of making asexual characters an outcast.

If asexuals are not visible outwardly as being asexual, then why would the character be an outcast? Outcasts are usually those who are SEEN as being different.

Since there isn't really an "asexual character", recommendations are just subjective to the person recommending the character. A 56-year-old man wearing a business suit is just as asexual IRL as a 19-year-old female wearing jeans and a baggy shirt.

The writer should just choose whatever physical/mental/emotional attributes of a character they want, and then assign that character to be asexual in the thesis.

Because they would be alienated for their sexuality, obviously. Don't tell me I have to go into detail how asexuals feel like outcasts because they cannot feel the way the mass majority of society feels about sex and its effects on AVEN itself.

Look at what they're writing. They want to see the BIAS. Do you tend to write asexuals as X? Or Y? That's the question. You've missed their study's point. Like I said:

People aren't debating whether asexuals are just like everyone else (to which I hope everyone understands that we are). They said it's for a thesis.

Honestly, really ANY character can be asexual. Create a character. Boom, they're asexual. That's that. That's how you do it. Same with gay characters. Make a characters. They're gay. There you go.

I also don't see a point in making a character for you on the spot. /:
What kind of idea for this thesis is that anyway? I don't really see the point.
You might want to look into fictional characters on the web instead who happen to be asexual instead. There are plenty of webcomics that feature asexual characters. I'm sure you can unearth some original fiction too! The thing is, this should work better for you with already established stories.

Sir_Lord_Brit

As with all characters, my first step is to make them human first (even if they're not actually human), then worry about the other stuff. I want my characters to be interesting, I want them to contribute something to the story. If their asexualty has some relevant contribution to the story, then make their asexuality a thing. If it doesn't, then it's part of their character, but not necessarily part of the story. Maybe they reject love interests, maybe they beat the female secret agent who uses seduction to get what she needs because they're asexual, maybe they can negotiate with the sirens who are luring their crew onto the rocks because the song doesn't affect them and the sirens are actually asexual as well. Make sure that every trait you give your characters contributes to the narrative in some way or helps build your understanding of the character so you can write or play them more convincingly. Otherwise its just unnecessary at best and tokenism at worst.