Ten Years Ago

Member4445

Member4445

If you're in the UK, you will probably already know about this because it has been all over television all day.

For those of you who don't know (or don't remember):

Mohammad Khan, Shehzad Tamweer, Germaine Lindsay and Hasib Hussain detonated a series of bombs around London in the name of Al-Queda (who claimed responsibility). At 8.49am on this day 10 years ago, Tanweer, Khan and Lindsay set off the bombs they were carrying at the Aldgate, Edgware Road and Russell Square Underground Stations. At 9.47am, Hussain caused the explosion on a public double decker bus in Tavistock Square.

52 civilians were killed in the terrorist attack with more than 700 injured, not to mention the psychological effect of the uninjured and those effected. All 4 terrorists were killed. 26 people died at Russell Square, 6 at Aldgate, 7 at Edgware Road and 13 at Tavistock Square. It was the worst attack in the UK.

Since then, 50 attempted attacks have been prevented.

It had been hoped that this would be an end to it all, that after 9/11 and 7/7, things could only get better. But still they have just worstened with the growing threat of ISIS. This has been particularly evident with the recent attacks in Tunisia, France and Kuwait.

May those who died never be forgotten, those who have and are suffering find peace and may an end to these conflicts swiftly be found.

Skycaptain

Thank you for your eloquent expression of thoughts many AVENistes hold

scarletlatitude

I remember this. It was so sad. 10 years ago I was but a petty teenager. (Nothing against you teenagers. That's just how I was.) I remember feeling so mad. I love the UK. How dare they attack my UK? It was like they attacked my brother. I hope too that those people involved have found/will find some kind of peace.

Hopefully the sacrifices made (I will not say them, to not derail the thread) and that soon will be made, have made it much less unlikely that these things will happen again.

There wasn't any mysterious about either attack.

I guess it is a mystery that people want to do such things, or perhaps she meant that they didn't see them coming? All I know is that both were tragedies.

I guess it is a mystery that people want to do such things, or perhaps she meant that they didn't see them coming? All I know is that both were tragedies.

Tragedies, yes, but not a mystery anymore that people want to do such things. We have had Al-Qaeda, Boro Haram, Hamas, the Islamic Brotherhood, several other terrorist varieties, and now Daesh to make it plain that they do.

ChineseGirl

There wasn't any mysterious about either attack.

there are tons of mysteries about that attack...

I spent over 2 months in London in the early 70s, lodged near to Russell Square Tube station (we could hear and feel the trains running till late at night) and walked passed the BMA building every week on our way from Euston Station.

Archived