Varying orientation - anyone else?

Little sister

Little sister

I am an adult, not having any identity crisis. I'm surely asexual. BUT, my romantic orientation keeps changing every now and then. It's ok to me, so there's not a problem. I'm just curious if someone else is experiencing the same. And I don't mean being confused and lost, but just feeling different occasionally.

I usually consider myself a panromantic ace. Yet sometimes I feel women much more attractive. Sometimes men in some way, except that I never fancy a naked male body. A female body may be beautiful. Sometimes I may see some very attractive androgyne /trans -person. Usually I'm not repulsed of sex. I don't really desire or need it, but it can be ok sometimes to be touched. Sometimes I think it would be nice as a technical or psychological performance.

Sometimes I find all people romantically and sexually unattractive. Some may be beautiful, and I could give a hug with all clothes on, but the idea of touching one's skin is quite yucky. I'm sometimes repulsed by sex. Those times I feel very much aromantic.

I find that there's some seasonal changes in this, but it's not always the case. In my country the winter is long, cold and dark, so it's more likely the time of aromantic and sex-repulsed thoughts. (The winter time makes me also tired...) The summer is quite the opposite, and I might even feel a bit flirty! ;) Sometimes it just comes out of the blue, that I'm feeling different again. But as I said, it's not a problem. Actually it's enriching, makes my life a bit more interesting!

Aesthetic attraction is not romantic attraction and thus that fluctuating does not mean your romantic orientation is fluctuating. Aesthetic attraction is when you have a fixation on someone because of their looks and or mannerisms; having a pull to look at them. And it's different from finding someone aesthetically pleasing which has no fixation and may be just recognizing what others would call good looks. A romantic orientation isn't about finding people romantically unattractive, it's about being capable of romantic attraction. But if you feel you're going between romantic and aromantic, then there is the term Aroflux. Aromantic can mean incapable of romantic attraction or being capable but not desiring a romantic relationship. It has nothing to do with an unattractive perspective. People naturally go through dry spells with romantic attraction.

Little sister

Well, I expressed myself badly... I meant feeling someone attractive in a way that I could think of a relationship, but sometimes very much feeling the opposite, not wanting a relationship of any kind (feeling it's a disgusting idea). This all is theoretical, because I'm actually married.... So I'm not getting far enough to even think of any real relationship with anyone (else). But if I was single, sometimes I would want a companion of some kind, and sometimes certainly not. But yes, I do have aesthetic attraction too.

kiaroskuro

But if you feel you're going between romantic and aromantic, then there is the term Aroflux. Aromantic can mean incapable of romantic attraction or being capable but not desiring a romantic relationship. It has nothing to do with an unattractive perspective. People naturally go through dry spells with romantic attraction.

Until now it never occurred to me that I might actually be aroflux - I've heard this term before, but never really cared to look up its meaning. I know you wrote this for Little sister, but thanks, Star Bit! This was quite eye-opening.

I meant feeling someone attractive in a way that I could think of a relationship, but sometimes very much feeling the opposite, not wanting a relationship of any kind (feeling it's a disgusting idea).

This is something I can definitely relate to, by the way.

I find that there's some seasonal changes in this, but it's not always the case. In my country the winter is long, cold and dark, so it's more likely the time of aromantic and sex-repulsed thoughts. (The winter time makes me also tired...) The summer is quite the opposite, and I might even feel a bit flirty! ;)

Are you affected by the seasons in any other ways?

Hmm I think alot of people of the north feel like that. During the winter time its all gray and boring, people are snotty and grumpy and during spring and summer people are happy and outgoing and everything ^_^ .

INVISIBLENINJAH

I'm aroflux and so far the seasons don't cause any fluctuation, though I live in texas so it doesn't get too cold here.

Sometimes I'm wtfromantic (aka quoiromantic) which means I can't tell the difference

Archived