Could I be demisexual instead of ace?

I know no one can really decide this for me, and these thoughts do not decide it either, but I thought I'd give it a try! Maybe if someone has similar ideas/feelings as me they could help. :P Basically, I've noticed that in theory, I'd be okay with doing the deed (ugh that phrase) with my idea of a "soul mate". I've thought for a while I might be demisexual instead because to me, it was the idea of knowing them completely because they're someone I've made up in my head that was "perfect" for me. I hope this makes sense. ):

Sure. I know many demis here have experienced attraction which is how they discovered they're demi rather than "ace" but I'm always open minded to possibilities, thus I go by "aromantic asexual until proven otherwise".

Perissodactyla

Sometimes I think of demisexuality as like a mycelial network of fibers growing underground that under the right conditions of temperature, moisture and soil quality, suddenly produce a mushroom. Most of the existence of the mycelium is sort of asexual, but occasionally in a special case(s), (demi)sexuality occurs. :)

Sometimes I think of demisexuality as like a mycelial network of fibers growing underground that under the right conditions of temperature, moisture and soil quality, suddenly produce a mushroom. Most of the existence of the mycelium is sort of asexual, but occasionally in a special case(s), (demi)sexuality occurs. :)

I might be a fungus....thanks for that analogy. :P

Lost247365
I know no one can really decide this for me, and these thoughts do not decide it either, but I thought I'd give it a try! Maybe if someone has similar ideas/feelings as me they could help. :P Basically, I've noticed that in theory, I'd be okay with doing the deed (ugh that phrase) with my idea of a "soul mate". I've thought for a while I might be demisexual instead because to me, it was the idea of knowing them completely because they're someone I've made up in my head that was "perfect" for me. I hope this makes sense. ):

Well, a person being "okay in theory" does not really disqualify a person from being asexual. Nor does actually having sex with someone, especially if it was to please them or "knowing them completely."

Depending on how you define asexuality, you must either experience sexual attraction, or sexual desire, and/or both.

*I realize the following sounds sarcastic, but I do not intend it as such. Please read the following paragraphs with the tone of someone considering a philosophical point which is what I am trying to do*

But yeah, it is entirely possible you could be a demi-sexual. Similarly, a heterosexual may one day discover they are actually bi-sexual when they meet the right person of the same gender. It is also possible that your orientation could change on you.

It is also possible you are simply a butterfly dreaming that you are a human and could wake up any second now.

Point being, nobody can be completely sure of anything**. Therefore, I think it is best to just identify oneself with regards to the here and now. I have never experienced sexual desire, so I identify as an asexual. If I ever meet a person who is able to change that, I will change my identity to demi-sexual.

But for now, I am asexual. Ultimately you should do what you feel is right for you. If that means identifying as a demi, then by all means identify as a demi. Do what is right for you. But you seem to be here asking for our opinions and mine is that nothing you are describing strikes me as a demi, and that you should continue to identify as you feel you are in the here and now.

**This includes being certain that nobody can be certain of anything :P

FlowerSpirituality

Lost,

What about those who uses sexual intercourse in place of masturbation because they don't want to do it themselves?

Lost247365

It is my understanding that Even if they do that, they will still be asexual so long as they do not experience sexual attraction/desire.

whocaresthough

I'm wondering the same, but rather romantically.