1. 1. Have you ever heard of Linux?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What system do you use?

• Linux
    • Windows
    • Mac
    • Other
  3. 3. Have you ever tried a computer working on Linux?

• Yes, it seems pretty cool
    • Yes, but I don't like it much
    • I've never seen what it's like
  4. 4. Why don't you use it?

• I already use it
    • I can't get bothered to change my system
    • What's the point?
    • I'm afraid to have to learn how to work with it
    • My work/uni/school uses another system and the compatibility would be too complicated
    • I never heard about it
    • I prefer the system I use
  5. 5. If you use Linux, which sub-system?

• Don't use Linux
    • Ubuntu
    • Mandriva
    • Mint
    • Other
  6. 6. How old are you?

• I prefer not saying
    • Under 15
    • 16 - 19
    • 20 - 25
    • 26 - 34
    • 35 - 48
    • 49 - 62
    • 63 +

This poll is closed to new votes

If you have questions about it, ask and I'll try to answer all in the comments.

I personally use Linux Mint. I believe the system is as good but free (so, better), and that most people don't use it because they don't know it exists/what it is. So I made this to know if my ideas are true ^_^

I personally use Linux Mint.

*High five*

But I'll be switching to Red Hat soon, because that's what my uni recommends ;)

Bad_Mr_Tree

I primarily use Mac OS X, next OS I use is Debian on my server and desktop.

*High five*

That's awesome! I've heard of it but never seen it though... It's good that unis encourage people to use opensource :)

I used to use Ubuntu, circa 2007. The learning curve was a bit too much for me at the time. It was interesting, and I could have gotten very good at using it if I'd stuck with it.

I couldn't go back, though; I use a lot of art software and tools that are only compatible with Mac & Windows.

I use Windows and Linux. Windows on my "performance computer", because it's still the OS with high compatibility with almost anything strictly computer related (work has Windows so compatibility is definitely an issue), being the "default" OS. To run video games, I stay with Windows. But I also have Linux (Mint) on a very lame notebook. (The kind that goes "[internet navigator of choice] has crashed" if you open more than 2 tabs.) It works a little better with Linux because it's a lot less cluttered than Windows, but I wouldn't use it if I didn't have an option to also use Windows.

I use the Mint notebook everytime I'm messing with my Android/CM tablet though. Android being based on Linux, it's not a surprise that the compatibility is better.

In the past I also used Ubuntu, and/as it was the OS my Uni used.

I have never heard of Linux before, and I use Windows.

*High five*

That's awesome! I've heard of it but never seen it though... It's good that unis encourage people to use opensource :)

What else did you expect? Why wouldn't a uni support a movement that it has essentially started? :P

Although drawing on traditions and philosophies among members of the 1970s hacker culture and academia, Richard Stallman formally founded the movement in 1983 by launching the GNU Project.

The GNU Project is a free software, mass collaboration project, announced on 27 September 1983, by Richard Stallman at MIT.

Skycaptain

I use Windows, simply because all my IT has come with it preinstalled

There's just no point for me in running anything other than the operating system it came with (Windows 7).

Windows (Microsoft) has a monopoly over the market because they pay for it. When you buy a pc, you pay Windows, and don't have the choice. That's what annoys me, because Linux has been made by a community and it is constantly improved. It is completely free and open source. I understand that sound mixers or photoshop users who don't like GIMP for instant prefer Windows, but Linux is as good for most pc users. I actually prefer it now I got used to it ^_^

I have never heard of Linux before, and I use Windows.

It's just another way of running your pc. It's free and works as well, but is not well known simply because Microsoft are rich and own the market. That's why I spread the word, because I am in favor of such smaller systems inside of communities.

Perissodactyla

I use both Linux and Windows. Sometimes I install distros of Linux just for fun.

Currently I use Tails which is built on Debian: https://tails.boum.org/

One can easily install it on a USB stick, a DVD or SD card.

Then if your machine is running Windows or Mac, at the time of boot, you can choose to load Tails Linux instead.

It's easy and it's getting faster. :)

But you cannot use Tails to connect to aven.

*High five*

What else did you expect? Why wouldn't a uni support a movement that it has essentially started? :P

Although drawing on traditions and philosophies among members of the 1970s hacker culture and academia, Richard Stallman formally founded the movement in 1983 by launching the GNU Project.

The GNU Project is a free software, mass collaboration project, announced on 27 September 1983, by Richard Stallman at MIT.

Yes, I agree that it's logic, not all unis do. My uni uses Windows! <_< It is from the unis that it must start, they are the source of such 'anti-system' movements.

Indiana Joe

Although my preferred OS remains FreeBSD I'm on Linux (Mint) these days, for the first time this century. UIs have come a long way since Slackware 3.

Needs multioption in 2nd question

Are there other OS?

I'll add an "other" option :)

Are there other OS?

I use Android, Lubuntu which are both Linux. My main OS is Windows.

Are there other OS?

I use Android, Lubuntu which are both Linux. My main OS is Windows.

Oh sorry, you said "multioption" and I understood like, "other" option.

(how do I delete your double post?)

The Ace Otaku

I use windows on all of my desktops and laptops however I use Linux on all of my developers PC's and my Raspberry pi

I use Windows mostly because

* I play a lot of games

* I am .Net developer

* I use a lot of tools for windows only

* It is very reliable system for me

* I like it

I used Linux multiple times on university and I just didn't like it much. Especially 'command line distributions'.

Ubuntu is not that bad, but still I like Windows more. I don't see any reason to change it but I'm glad that there are options :)

I primarily use windows, but I have been on computers that use linux in the past, and I do quite like it. The main reason I don't use linux for my personal laptop is that can't be bothered to make the switch after using windows for so long, especially when windows works fine for me as well.

My old laptop had both Windows and Linux installed, but it crapped out earlier this year and needs to be replaced. I use Mint myself but have used Ubuntu before too.

I now use a Chromebook that doesn't have enough space for a Linux partition. =/

There's just no point for me in running anything other than the operating system it came with (Windows 7).

Windows (Microsoft) has a monopoly over the market because they pay for it. When you buy a pc, you pay Windows, and don't have the choice. That's what annoys me, because Linux has been made by a community and it is constantly improved. It is completely free and open source. I understand that sound mixers or photoshop users who don't like GIMP for instant prefer Windows, but Linux is as good for most pc users. I actually prefer it now I got used to it ^_^

I don't like any market monopoly, but while I'm ethically annoyed at this, it's also the reason I am personally reluctant (and understand other people being reluctant) to change the OS unless the computer is broken/so outdated it cannot handle Windows anymore. I paid for it, and uninstalling Windows out of spite seems a bit stupid, I mean, the company got its money, it doesn't really care if you will be using the product or not.

I think Linux is going to be more important economically in the coming years though, with the decline of the personal computer vs smartphones and tablets. There are still Windows phones and tablets, but the company didn't make the transition as gracefully as Apple did, and Linux finally became truly mainstream.

I primarily use windows, but I got an extra computer (for free) that had nothing on it so I installed Linux (Ubuntu) :)

Took quite a bit to get it up & running right, but once that was done I like it. (doesn't get allot of use)

One thing that would be nice if they'd made it so you could network/share files with windows.

Ace Gamers Network and it's official services run on Ubuntu. I've actually been using a few variants of Linux for years although not as much as I am now.

I've had Debian on an old laptop for a while now. It's pretty simple and easily customizable, and runs faster than Windows did.

chair jockey

I've been messing around with Linux for several years. It won't run recent games or certain types of embedded clients, but for nearly everything I need it's perfectly sufficient and doesn't require payment or registration. Also, while not completely transparent in the guts of its operation, it's far closer to transparent than Windows is.

What bothers me is the recent proprietarization and commercialization of Linux. Mint is essentially a proprietary distribution that you can't modify at all without a chroot hack of the install .iso, while several distributions such as Red Hat and SUSE are outright commercial. I've also had issues with people insisting that I pay huge amounts of money for books on how to use Linux, which is something I find inappropriately greedy and ridiculous.

My parents are both current or former sys admins, and I grew up with a Unix server in the house and several Linux systems, so I have known about Linux just as long as I've known about DOS (and longer than Windows, 'cause, well, Windows didn't exist yet). For a long time I kept up using one or two of our computers, which ran Slackware; currently, I'm planning on changing my desktop computer over to Ubuntu on my next upgrade, now that Linux gaming (gaming being the prime function of my desktop computer) is easier.

I have a Mac laptop, and my desktop currently runs Windows 7. I've never actually liked Windows, it has just always been the easiest thing for gaming, and I'm quickly growing unable to stand current and future iterations of it, so I probably won't be using it at all much longer save when I must. As far as the Mac goes, it works well for what I use my laptop for, but I wouldn't want it on my desktop -- too restrictive. Better in some ways than Windows, worse than others.

I'm still running Windows 7 on my main computer and expect to keep a Windows 7 partition on the next machine I build but I've been messing around with Mint in anticipation of Windows 7 end-of-support. Also, I have an ancient netbook that used to run XP but since extended support for XP ended last year and it's too weak to run 7 I want something else that it can handle.

• 7 months later...

I have a light Windows preference given a choice. I'm doing OK with Mint on an underpowered 10" notebook though. - I was told about connectivity / compatibility issues but this machine does what I need it to do.

I might run a file server / backup desktop on Linux some day. - My only reason to ever try a Mac would be acquiring photo equipment not supported by any other OS.

Archived