Acebook?

Ehyn

Anyone have good experiences with this site? I can't sign up just yet (18 in September and I'm not fond of lying about my age especially to people who are potential partners haha) but I'm looking into it once I do hit 18. I'm feeling a bit bleak lately about my chances at ever finding romance so I guess I'm trying to cheer myself up with the idea that there's dating sites with thousands of people just like me. :blush:

I had an Acebook profile for a little bit. While it wasn't what I was personally looking for I never had any bad experiences with it. The people were really friendly and open to conversations. There are different forums for different interests and things like that. I would recommend it if that is something that you want to do.

Didn't work especially well for me but mostly because I narrowed my search to be for homoromantic asexual women with in plus or minus 10 years of my age (54) and living within 100 miles of me. With that limitation I maybe met 2 or 3 online but did not connect with them at all. There just isn't a big pool of folks for me to meet on ACEbook.

I also just don't do well with meeting folks this way. I prefer to get to know folks first via some common interest other than finding a relationship. I don't like the whole vibe of dating to examine if I want to be with this person. I prefer to go the other way and get to know the person to decide if I would date them. I guess it might have worked better on ACEbook if I had gotten involved in the forums first and if I liked someone in the forums, ask if they wanted to communicate off line rather than just do searches and cold send messages to likely people.

At this point I seem to be happily in a phase of being hunky dory being single and not worrying about "finding" the one! So I'm not really using ACEbook at all.

Cathy

I have a profile and I actually like that site a lot. Everyone one there is really kind and open. I'd definitely suggest giving it a shot. The main problem with it is there isn't a lot of close by people for me. You have an advantage if you life in or extremely close to a big city like LA or otherwise. At least you can meet friends and like minded people to potentially meet up.

Frigid Pink

I've had both pleasant and unpleasant experiences on Acebook. I've made both romantic and friendly connections from there. Distance was the main issue for me as well as a very small pool of compatible people to date in my area. I met my current romantic partner on OKC.

You all give me good expectations for it then! And I actually do live near LA, so I guess that's also a plus for me. OKC is also accepting of asexuals or do you have to actually write it to everyone?

I have a profile there and am fairly new, but it seems like distance would be an issue for me as well. The nearest people were over eight hours away :C So far everyone has been kind, though it doesn't seem like there is much interaction going on there. Not sure if I'm just using the site wrong (how?) or just not being proactive about meeting people enough, but it is a small community so it might be a good place to start that's not so intimidating.

Generally, people are very kind and will respond to your messages. But keep in mind that Acebook is a very slow moving site. It is FULL of abandoned and inactive profiles (including my own... sorry!). You might see someone who seems like they'd be a blast to talk to, but then you notice they haven't logged on since November 2013...

You have the best shot at finding/meeting up with someone if you live in a large metropolitan area (mostly LA, NYC, London). Even then it's a bit of a long shot, but there's no harm in trying.

It's pretty neat, I've met good friends (and romance although that didn't work for unrelated reasons :mellow: ) my only beef is that most people I met lived really far, but I guess it does depend where you're from...

You do have to be pro-active and go up and talk to people because you probably won't get much interaction just by your presence, you'll just get spam (which is taken care of quickly by the staff)... I'd say it's worth a shot, my experience with OKCupid was basically never getting any answer to any of my message and that never happened on Acebook

I've had some good conversations on it but that's been about it. I'm not into long distance relationships, and as people have already said, distance is a problem.

Frigid Pink

OKC is also accepting of asexuals or do you have to actually write it to everyone?

OKC now allows you to choose "asexual" as your sexual orientation. At the time I was on OKC, "asexual" wasn't an available option, therefore, I made statements about my sexual preferences and the type of relationship I wanted in my profile. I think it's very important to make those preferences clear in the profile section in order to potentially weed out incompatible people.

WheelCuddle

I used acebook to find people and then found them on okcupid, so far it is working for me.

Archived