Black ring/LGBTQIA Diversity Group

Sleeping Elf

Sleeping Elf

I am considering wearing a black ring, does anyone else wear one and do you wear it all the time? Has anyone else ever asked you about it?

They are setting up a LGBTQIA network group at my workplace am going to go along and probably stand in the corner and listen. Can't imagine myself standing up and declaring my asexuality! But I feel I should go along at least. Just feel a bit self conscious. Anyone else have a group like this at work?

I have a black ring and I wear it all the time. Personally, I like the stainless steel ones bc I find them comfortable. My friends have asked me about my ring. They know I'm asexual but they don't know the meaning of the ring. They usually just want to know the writing on it. The Lord's prayer is on it because I found one and I thought that was cool and I'm Catholic.

I'm 13, so I don't go to work, but the high school I'm going to in a couple months has a Gay-Straight Alliance and according to my hs friend and judging by the info in my older brother's yearbook, it seems to be a pretty nice club. I plan on joining it when school starts.

Charcoal face paint

I have one and I only take it off for 2 classes where the teachers where like I'm not okay with you not being hetero (I'm joking, only one of them was like that), I wear it in the shower and sleep in it and everything which is probably really weird but I have a lot of jewllery that I wear all the time so I dunno (I've got an anklet that I haven't taken off in over a year). Mine is a normal ring that I have to paint with black nail varnish every once in a while because I haven't seen any fully black rings in shops and my fingers are weird so I don't order rings online.

I've only been asked once about it because everyone is so used to all my jewllery that they don't notice it. I was asked by my textiles teacher who would make me take it off every lesson and then as I was walking out the door at the end of the lesson I'd put it on again in a way that wasn't exactly discrete, she was just like one day "you're very attached to this ring aren't you, is it a family heirloom?" and then she picked it up off the desk and started touching it. Inside I was like bitch get your hands off my ring! but outside I tried to explain what it was and she just looked at me like I'm a freak and was like "I have no idea what that is" at which point I went bright red and started muttering incoherent explanations and she walked away.

I think it's good to wear it and to try and promote/raise awareness of asexuality to others because I know I had a really hard time struggling with my sexuality, if I'd have know it was a thing sooner then it would've saved me years of distress.

stonehengegirl

I wear one all the time. Mine is tungsten carbide which I like because it's light and I have metal allergies.

No one's ever asked me about it but I've only been wearing it a month.

Sleeping Elf

Charcoal - your story is exactly why we need more awareness of asexuality in education and media. I wish there had been a place like AVEN when I was younger. I'm sorry your teachers are so narrow minded and judgemental sad that they aren't more aware of what affect the things they say have.

Karmynn - people at work are friendly so I'm hopeful that there will be a good atmosphere at the meeting.

Stonehengegirl - I think mines made of the same material I ordered it online so hope it fits!

I used to wear a ring, but I'm not used to wearing rings so it got uncomfortable and boring lol.

That asexual guy

About standing in the corner at the meeting. I'm always apt to do that so I can observe. However, don't get to the point that people there assume you're gay because you haven't said otherwise. That happened to me once. When I finally told someone I was asexual it caused a bit of confusion.

Sleeping Elf

Thanks Earl Grey, good point. But the way they have set the meeting up is that everyone is welcome including Allies and they made a point of saying that in the invitation so no one will assume anything about anyone I hope. I'm certainly not out at work don't know how people would react if I said I was asexual most people probably wouldn't know what it means. Although I assume that those more involved in the LGBTQIA meeting would.

I recently bought a black titanium ring and I wear it all the time. Nobody has asked me about it - I've only been wearing it for about a month. I have been asked about my asexual flag pin that I occasionally wear. It was among friends, and both people seemed to be understanding and accepting once I explained what asexuality was.

Autumn Sunrise

I wear a black ring 24/7, and have done pretty much as long as I've had it - around 6 months. No one has asked me about it though - I wonder if people are more reticent about asking such questions of older people? :D I have to admit I haven't quite worked out what I'd say if someone did ask; I suppose it might depend on who was asking.

As far as I can tell, LGBTQIA support groups aren't usual in Australian workplaces - has anyone else from Oz come across a group like this?

Indiana Joe

I can't wear my ring all the time. I measured my left-hand finger for the order and my right one turned out to be a size larger. :wacko:

As much as I have worn it, though, and as conspicuous as it is even my family hasn't commented. Bit odd since I don't think anyone's ever seen me wear a ring before.

I might be having regular dealings with the local Pride center very soon. Let's see if they pick up on it.

Hi. I'm slow to joining this, sorry... But, I wear a black ring all the time, but it has got a Celtic design on it in silver. When speaking to a councillor a while ago and when I was not ready to announce my asexuality she suggested it as a kind of totum. If ever a felt uncomfortable in a situation I could turn it or in a way it was a reminder for me without shouting it out to the world!! Nobody has ever asked me about it, but I'd be happy to talk about it I'd they did. :D :D

DigitalBookDust

I've got a black ring and wear it 24/7. I gladly tell someone what it stands for, should they comment on it. I've never seen anyone else wearing one in my area. I'd love to meet other aces.

Anthracite_Impreza

I stumbled across this VERY cool, carbon fiber ring on Kickstarter last night. Might have to back it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2032033024/carbon-6-forged-carbon-fiber-and-luminescent-rings

I don't wear jewellery, but if someone were to give me a carbon fibre ring I so would .__.

nerdperson777

I stumbled across this VERY cool, carbon fiber ring on Kickstarter last night. Might have to back it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2032033024/carbon-6-forged-carbon-fiber-and-luminescent-rings

I don't wear jewellery, but if someone were to give me a carbon fibre ring I so would .__.

Yeah, I'm not much of an accessories person either. I guess I just don't really feel like I need something extra attached to myself. The ring would need to be cleaned because things get stuck in there, and then my hands wouldn't be clean. Other people can do it but it's not for me.

i don't wear jewelry either so i keep mine black ring on my keychain :Drings are itchy :P

Skycaptain

A black ring is the only personal ornamentation I wear, or have ever worn. Just shows that I have found myself at last, yay :D :)

I wear one. A friend only asked about it after I'd come out, so I guess nobody else has asked because they know me and realise I wouldn't wear a ring unless it's to show my orientation or something like that. Well, this is the stiff upper lip country. I fit right in.

• 4 weeks later...

I wear a simple, thin black ring 24/7. It's not really to advertise my asexuality to anyone else as I rarely leave the house anyway, but to remind myself that I'm no longer confused about what I am and that there are others like me.

Autumn Sunrise

Pretty much the reason I wear mine :)

Definitely, it's for me. I wouldn't hesitate to explain it, though, if someone asked.

I've worn a wedding band for about 8 years. It was originally a deterrent to people approaching me on the streets when I lived in France (yes that actually happened) but then I just got used to it and it often becomes a topic of conversation. I guess people are shocked that someone like me could be married. :rolleyes:

Sometimes when I take it off to sleep I get anxiety in the middle of the night and find that I'm wearing it in the morning. Seems pretty messed up, but I guess I retrained my subconscious or something. I wore a thumb ring for awhile, but it got uncomfortable and then eventually quite warped because I'm warmer than I expect?

I did however recently purchase a black ring and I guess I'll see how much I like wearing it. I doubt it will garner any commentary other than "that's cool how it glows in the dark" or something similar. I'll be shocked if anyone attributes it to asexuality.

Regarding diversity groups, I've chaired some committees and student organizations for it but never been a participating member. I've always recognized my beliefs and contributions as being important for the conversation, but not ultimately considered or necessary. I'm very matter-of-fact so the most I would see as talking about asexuality is simply stating what it is, and urging people to accept it and educate themselves.

• 1 month later...
Pirate Prince/ess

The summer of 2012 I was wearing a mood ring and when the plastic cracked, I peeled it off to find a solid black base coat on a silver ring. I thought it was qool so continued to wear it. A week later while assisting at a presentation about supporting LGBTQIA+ high school students, one of the college staff asked if I was wearing it on my right middle finger because I was asexual. That's the first I heard about an asexual ring. Imagine my surprise that, unknowingly, I was wearing the ring correctly. Made my day! (And I continue to wear it to this day...)

I am considering wearing a black ring, does anyone else wear one and do you wear it all the time? Has anyone else ever asked you about it?

They are setting up a LGBTQIA network group at my workplace am going to go along and probably stand in the corner and listen. Can't imagine myself standing up and declaring my asexuality! But I feel I should go along at least. Just feel a bit self conscious. Anyone else have a group like this at work?

I wear a black ring at work and everywhere. Oh how I wish they would set up an official LGBT affinity group at work. I think I would be front and center of that !

• 1 month later...

I wear one all the time. Mine is tungsten carbide which I like because it's light and I have metal allergies.

No one's ever asked me about it but I've only been wearing it a month.

Kind of a stupid question... but what kind of store did you buy it at? I've looked at a couple places and didn't see anything, mostly they just had more traditional stuff.

012 Amazon sell them, and probably other online stores do. Jewellers tend to sell Hematite bands for setting into rings

I wear this black silicone ring most of the time. It's really comfortable and it was cheap. You get 5 rings, 2 of which will probably fit. I have never had someone mention my ring to me, much the less know what it means. Never met another ACE "in the wild" except of course, at a meetup.

Thanks Skycaptain and truckbike. I need to try it on but that gives me an idea of what I may be able to find.

That's funny about never seeing another ace "in the wild" as I've started looking lately too, at least for a ring on anyone, and haven't seen any. Although tonight I was at a meeting where a guy was wearing a black ring on his right ring finger and then a traditional wedding ring on his left ring finger. I don't know what that means, probably something weird like "swinger" lol

Archived