Transphobia-related statistics

An1

Claims of trans women having the highest murder rates are present. Trans women are also said to be the most likely to be victims of physical harrasment (violance). Yet according to a few sources, non binary trans people are said to be most likely prone to such stigmatization, including unemployment. It is also said that assaults against trans women of color are least likely to gain coverage. That claim is pretty strange to me, because out of several related news video topics regarding several actual trans people (covering assault cases or not) I've only seen one that is non binary (Sasha Fleischmenn), who has been set on fire (yet eventually recovered).

There isn't necessarily a correlation between what happens and what is represented in the media, unfortunately :( It's possible the statistic that says that trans women of colour have the lowest chance of getting media coverage was done in a study that either didn't know about non-binary genders, or didn't have any data for non-binary people. It must be hard to get data for non-binary people, we don't exactly get recognised or wide acceptance...

I know of only one study about discrimination against non-binary individuals, written in 2008. It's very difficult to get information since mainstream culture still doesn't acknowledge non-binary individuals, and they're almost always misgendered in the press so as to make them nigh invisible. Although statistics are difficult to get, you can get a rough idea of who gets targeted the most with transphobic discrimination and attacks by thinking like transphobic people.

Sasha Fleischmenn was not set on fire on the bus because they're non-binary. They were set on fire because, to someone on that bus who probably had no idea what non-binary gender is, they looked like a male person wearing a skirt. That's the sort of thing that gets you in trouble: being visibly trans or gender-nonconforming, especially if you're read as "really male" and doubly especially if you're also of a racial, ethnic, or religious minority or are poor or are a sex worker or are taken to be one (which, unfortunately, is almost automatic for black trans women in the US, which is a lot of why they in particular face so much violence). Non-binary individuals are far more likely to face transphobic discrimination and violence than other non-binary individuals if they're of other minorities, AMAB, poor, or visibly transgender or gender-nonconforming, so their experiences can vary wildly.

Some groups are more under threat than others, but almost all trans people face some level of transphobia, possibly including discrimination in the workplace, discrimination by medical professionals both within transition and outside transition, discrimination by LGBT+ groups, misgendering by others in life and the media, religiously-based discrimination, abuse by governmental employees acting both inside and outside the law, government-enforced sterilization, street harassment, sexualized violence, and murder.

Claims or anecdotes are not statistics, so they can't be quoted as proof of anything. Until the incidence of crimes or discrimination against non-binary people because they are non-binary is compared to crimes against binary people, there won't be any statistics.

I know of only one study about discrimination against non-binary individuals, written in 2008. It's very difficult to get information since mainstream culture still doesn't acknowledge non-binary individuals, and they're almost always misgendered in the press so as to make them nigh invisible. Although statistics are difficult to get, you can get a rough idea of who gets targeted the most with transphobic discrimination and attacks by thinking like transphobic people.

Sasha Fleischmenn was not set on fire on the bus because they're non-binary. They were set on fire because, to someone on that bus who probably had no idea what non-binary gender is, they looked like a male person wearing a skirt. That's the sort of thing that gets you in trouble: being visibly trans or gender-nonconforming, especially if you're read as "really male" and doubly especially if you're also of a racial, ethnic, or religious minority or are poor or are a sex worker or are taken to be one (which, unfortunately, is almost automatic for black trans women in the US, which is a lot of why they in particular face so much violence). Non-binary individuals are far more likely to face transphobic discrimination and violence than other non-binary individuals if they're of other minorities, AMAB, poor, or visibly transgender or gender-nonconforming, so their experiences can vary wildly.

Some groups are more under threat than others, but almost all trans people face some level of transphobia, possibly including discrimination in the workplace, discrimination by medical professionals both within transition and outside transition, discrimination by LGBT+ groups, misgendering by others in life and the media, religiously-based discrimination, abuse by governmental employees acting both inside and outside the law, government-enforced sterilization, street harassment, sexualized violence, and murder.

Interesting. According to one survey, non binary trans people were more likely to engage in illegal work activities(drug trafficking, prostitution) than their binary trans counterparts.

There isn't necessarily a correlation between what happens and what is represented in the media, unfortunately :( It's possible the statistic that says that trans women of colour have the lowest chance of getting media coverage was done in a study that either didn't know about non-binary genders, or didn't have any data for non-binary people. It must be hard to get data for non-binary people, we don't exactly get recognised or wide acceptance...

Why do you think that there is lack of recognition with non binary trans people within the mainstream?
According to one survey, non binary trans people were more likely to engage in illegal work activities(drug trafficking, prostitution) than their binary trans counterparts.

That's a surprising result! I have no idea why that would be the case. Do you have a link to this survey?

According to one survey, non binary trans people were more likely to engage in illegal work activities(drug trafficking, prostitution) than their binary trans counterparts.

That's a surprising result! I have no idea why that would be the case. Do you have a link to this survey?

http://www.thetaskforce.org/static_html/downloads/release_materials/agendernotlistedhere.pdf

Page 22

littlepersonparadox

Why do you think that there is lack of recognition with non binary trans people within the mainstream?

As a non-binary myself id have to say within mainstream media they like to do baby steps. Like really tiney baby steps. Not wrong - its a method to progress I suppose but having binary model still around gives them something to work off of even if its an altered model because they dont' have to drop everything at once and start from scratch. Its highly irrtating though since a study up in canada. (I don't have a link this is states copy pasted to me via email from steph who go ahold of the survey) said 80% of people believe that there are 2 genders and 2 genders only. There was also high instances of people admitting they have or would consider beating up a trans person. Again this violence would most likely be aimed at those who don't appear cis easily. I wouldn't be surprised if ethnic or other minorities were at higher odds.

Also i think more or less there is some focus on hostility towards trans women becasue everyone whos transphobic seemes to hop on the "Man in a dress" narrative. I suppose becasue as a society were used to seeing females dressing more masculine and still being female. Where as men being in a dress regardless of gender identity is taboo to start with. It makes for a strong opening argument for them to play on something as a society is more "Forbidden"

Archived