I'm almost 30, help me figure myself out... Maybe?

prairiemama

Help me out, because I'm sick of not really "knowing".

I fall under the asexual umbrella, pretty much.

I'm a woman, been married to my husband for 10 years. He's the only person I've been with.

I do not consider myself straight, however. This I know.

I feel some attraction to both male and female. But nothing major. "Oh he's cute" "Oh she's cute"..

Not sure I'd ever be in a female relationship though, if I was to start dating again. I have no experience with this, so it's also just a "not knowing" kind of thing.

I don't enjoy sex as a general rule (it's not my husband, this has taken me a long time to decipher, since he's the only person I've been with. I truly just don't like sex. This is how I've felt my whole life. I had no desire as a teen. I didn't start dating until I literally met my husband, we developed a strong emotional bond. I adore him, he is my soul mate).

I don't think about sex if ever. But when I've thought about it, I generally think "yeah I'd have sex with a woman". No questions asked there really. To me it's exactly the same level as having sex with a man. But when I consider a romantic relationship with a woman? Not sure if I would. This is where I considered demisexuality into play, because I NEED that emotional connection to form any sort of remote sexual bond with someone. I know demi falls under the asexual umbrella.

So... what? I think I'm even more confused than before I started writing this.

Maybe I'll never know. Maybe I'll never truly identify with anything.

Akira Jumps

Hello and welcome to AVEN, prairiemama!

Sounds to me that several different types of attraction are at play here.

Aesthetic attraction: It sounds as if you are attracted to both males and females. But this is the same as saying 'Oh, that painting is pretty.' There is no sexual or romantic attraction/urges along with it.

Romantic attraction: It sounds as if you are heteroromantic. If you can't imagine dating a girl, that probably means you can only feel romantically inclined towards males.

Sexual attraction: As you said, demisexual. You need a strong emotional bond beforehand. This, from what you said, can probably be applied to both males and females. Or something of a bi-demisexual.

You may also have a lower libido in that you do not crave/need/want sex. From what you've said, that would be my guess.

And again, welcome to AVEN! :)

prairiemama

Thanks for the warm welcome!! :)

Definitely a low libido as of late, but I attribute that more so to postpartum. It's more than my usual though.

When I read this 3 part series, I identified with 99% of it. It "clicked". I also sent it to my husband right away! Hahaha.

http://www.asexualityarchive.com/possible-signs-of-asexuality-part-1-about-you/

But it feels like something is *missing*, which is the weird part.

I know, labels are just labels. But it would help for me to find my little section to fall into and feel part of, instead of this weird floating aimless feeling.