What's the difference between polygender/pangender and genderfluid?

Light02

I'm thinking about using one of those labels for myself but I'm not sure what the difference is. Also, I feel like I've heard the term pangender more than polygender but apparently it's the same thing but some people consider the term pangender to be appropriative.

It's possible to be both pan/polygender and genderfluid.

Pangender means you feel like all genders - possibly all at once, possibly by moving between them.

Polygender is very similar to pangender, but acknowledges that there are genders you aren't - often referring culturally-specific genders. Some cultures, like the Bugis in Indonesia, have genders that do not exist in, say, Germany, and so a German person might consider claiming to be "all genders" to be cultural appropriation since it can be taken as a claim that they're also genders specific to the Bugis and other non-western cultures they aren't a part of. Besides that acknowledgement, it is about the same thing as pangender.

Genderfluid people's gender is not fixed, and moves between two or more genders either through slow, gradual changes or sudden shifts. A genderfluid person who moves between all genders (or all non-culturally specific ones) may identify as both genderfluid and pangender or polygender. Other genderfluid people might move between only some genders - male and agender, for example.

So if you'd say you feel like all genders within your culture, either all at once or sometimes one and then another, you could say you're pangender or polygender, and if your gender isn't fixed you could say you're genderfluid.

It's possible to be both pan/polygender and genderfluid.

Pangender means you feel like all genders - possibly all at once, possibly by moving between them.

Polygender is very similar to pangender, but acknowledges that there are genders you aren't - often referring culturally-specific genders. Some cultures, like the Bugis in Indonesia, have genders that do not exist in, say, Germany, and so a German person might consider claiming to be "all genders" to be cultural appropriation since it can be taken as a claim that they're also genders specific to the Bugis and other non-western cultures they aren't a part of. Besides that acknowledgement, it is about the same thing as pangender.

Genderfluid people's gender is not fixed, and moves between two or more genders either through slow, gradual changes or sudden shifts. A genderfluid person who moves between all genders (or all non-culturally specific ones) may identify as both genderfluid and pangender or polygender. Other genderfluid people might move between only some genders - male and agender, for example.

So if you'd say you feel like all genders within your culture, either all at once or sometimes one and then another, you could say you're pangender or polygender, and if your gender isn't fixed you could say you're genderfluid.

Let me see if I got this straight - so, a pan/polygender person is someone who feels all genders at the same time or moves between all of them and a genderfluid is someone who does not feel all genders at the same time and only moves between all of them or some of them? Is that right?

How about this:

Pan/polygender: Is all the genders!

Genderfluid: Gender changes!

Pan/polygender AND Genderfluid: Gender changes, and goes between all the genders!

Pan/polygender NOT Genderfluid: Is all the genders all at once!

How about this:

Pan/polygender: Is all the genders!

Genderfluid: Gender changes!

Pan/polygender AND Genderfluid: Gender changes, and goes between all the genders!

Pan/polygender NOT Genderfluid: Is all the genders all at once!

Ok, got it. Thank you so much!

Archived