Is there a difference between gay marriage and same-sex marriage?

ScottishLass

So as we all know by now, it's now legal in the US to marry someone of the same sex as yourself. But most websites are calling this news the legalisation of "gay marriage". I personally think there is a difference between gay marriage and same sex marriage, for example, two gay women who married would be entering a gay marriage, but if two asexual women were to marry, I'd call this same sex marriage as to me it's not "gay" in the same sense, the common conception of "gay" is homosexual. Am I right to be irritated that it's being reported as gay marriage being legalised and not same sex marriage?

allrightalready

they are the same thing. shoot from talking to most people i have known who are or have been married all marriages end up being asexual so sex is not the issue. what has been legalized is marriage between two persons of the same birth phenotype assignment (mouthful eh?) so same sex or gay marriage are both fine

Grumpy Alien

I agree. Gay marriage is kind of a stupid term. I mean... What if they're bisexual and pansexual or some other combo? But they do refer to the same thing - two people of the same sex.

Someone could have changed the written gender on their birth certificate that says they're male or female and married the same gender...?

WünderBâhr

legalized.png

This encapsulates the majority of how I feel about it, altogether. There may come a time where no distinctions need to be made. Certainly, it can seem technically inaccurate if considering gay to be separate from the queer identity that many within the asexuality community use, but is it absolutely necessary to detail the particulars at this juncture?

I feel it also goes by interpretation. So, while it can be frustrating, I also don't see it as frustrating as others might.

Here in the US, there is no gay marriage, or same-sex marriage.

Thanks to SCotUS there is only marriage now! 8)

Edit: Poster above beat me!

Here in the US, there is no gay marriage, or same-sex marriage.

Thanks to SCotUS there is only marriage now! 8)

The only good thing about this is that peple are more likely to understand me immediately when I say that I'm anti-marriage, instead of assuming I'm only specifically against gay marriage. :p

I personally don't see a problem with calling the marriage of two asexuals a "gay marriage", because (at least the way I interpret it) the word gay here is just being used to distinguish the homo-romantic behavior of the two people getting married, and doesn't necessarily have to refer to the sexual orientations of the people involved.

I do kind of see a slight difference between gay marriage and same-sex marriage because of the difference between sex and gender, but it doesn't particularly bother me. I think the main point here is that everyone who wants to get married has the opportunity to, regardless of sex, gender, orientation. Now there isn't as much of a need to distinguish between gay/same-sex marriage, because any marriage between two legal adults is valid. :)

Personally I prefer the term equal marriage....or just marriage. Although we have equal marriage in the UK I thinkt that the government now needs to legalise civil partnerships for everyone as well. Some people do not want to get married but do want to have the official reconigition for their relationships that come with civil partnerships.

gayasanaro

Same-sex = their genitals match

A couple with a gay cis man and gay trans man, or gay cis woman and gay trans woman, is gay marriage but not same sex...even before the SCOTUS decision it would have been legal.

whocaresthough

I was also a little saddened that it's been tagged as gay marriage. Though, I honestly shouldn't, since I don't expect to get married anyway.

ObsessedWithAnime

List of people who are in a "straight relationship" and could marry:

• cis man and cis woman
  • transman and transwoman
  • bisexual/pansexual cis man and cis woman
  • bisexual/pansexual cis woman and cis man

List of people who are in a "gay relationship" (and can now marry):

• cis woman and cis woman
  • cis man and cis man
  • transman and cis man (or transman)
  • transwoman and cis woman (or transwoman)

See so people in the queer community who could have been attracted to and dated someone of the same sex but didn't could have ended up in a "gay relationship" but ended up in a "straight relationship" because it was still a male and female even if one of the members of the relationship was queer.

I personally refer to myself as "gay" or "queer" and so do some of my other queer friends because it's quick, easy, and to the point instead of having to say the long complicated identity for a joke or in the middle of the discussion, etc. So I don't really have a problem with it besides the fact that I'm guessing most of the reporters aren't queer in any way and aren't using it as a cute affectionate term like my friends are and that makes it a little uncomfortable.

Honestly I feel like it comes down to the fact that asexuals don't have enough visibility or awareness so no one would even thnk that asexuals wouldn't be a part of the two groups...

• 2 weeks later...

And of course, people that identify as "straight" might be married to someone of the same sex, for whatever reason; and people that identify as "gay" might be married to someone of another sex, for whatever reason; and people that identify as "ace" might be married to someone of the same or other sex... the possibilities are endless.

If two asexual men have sex with each other, is that gay sex, or ace sex?

What if two straight men have sex with each other? Is that gay sex, or straight sex?

etc.

What if two straight men have sex with each other? Is that gay sex, or straight sex?

I'd surely call that gay sex in both these scenarios. It's about the anatomy involved, not about the orientation of the people.

Autumn Season

I'd surely call that gay sex in both these scenarios. It's about the anatomy involved, not about the orientation of the people.

Yeah... let's not make things too complicated. This reminds me of what Skulls said in the Topic Sexuals - Initial Attraction Thoughts?.

Give it another year and there will be terms for Asexual sex... instead of "sex" it'll be "snix", and if you have snix you're Asexual. You can tell you're having snix because you just "know" you feel different from sexuals.

Just you wait.

I think the main point here is that everyone who wants to get married has the opportunity to, regardless of sex, gender, orientation. Now there isn't as much of a need to distinguish between gay/same-sex marriage, because any marriage between two legal adults is valid. :)

...unless one of them is currently married to a different person. AFAIK polygamy is not legal in the US.

I think the main point here is that everyone who wants to get married has the opportunity to, regardless of sex, gender, orientation. Now there isn't as much of a need to distinguish between gay/same-sex marriage, because any marriage between two legal adults is valid. :)

...unless one of them is currently married to a different person. AFAIK polygamy is not legal in the US.

For now. It was a natural and expectable thing to have this follow the SCOTUS ruling, and I'm not surprised it started happening immediately afterwards. :)

(And my stance on it is, unsurprisingly, the exact same as with gay marriage.)

Same sex-marriage is just more formal than gay-marriage. So in a legal context, you cannot call it gay-marriage, is to informal and it may have negative connotations for some groups of people. Is a matter of language in use.