Am I just a late bloomer?

Hi, my name's Mia and I'm 13. I've reccently become curious about my sexuality, and I stumbled upon the term asexual. I was so happy when I found out what it meant, and that there were others like me. And I know we're on a continuum, and that one day I may become allosexual, but I really feel asexual right now. Do you think this will change? I do experience other forms of attraction such as sensual and aesthetic, but could I still be a late bloomer, or so to speak?

I'm curious as to how many asexuals who discover their orientation at a young age have a different one when they are older. But in the meantime, I hope it's okay for me to identify as a aromatic asexual and to use this site. :)

Elluna Hellen

Hello. Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As you are only thirteen, it could go either way with your (a)sexuality. If you feel like for the moment identifying as an aromantic asexual is right for you and it helps you, nobody here will try to stop you, though! I thought I was a late bloomer for ten years or so after I figured out I didn't get crushes on people. I thought it would just happen some day, until I was 23 and then decided 'to heck with that' :). Then again I'm 24 now so when I was 13 I don't think asexuailty was nearly as easy to find out about as it is now (haha i feel old now). I doubt that would have made much of a difference in the thought process though because i did find out what asexuality is a few years before I started identifying as an aromantic asexual, so yeah :)

Seriously though, if you want to use this site and identify as aro/ace, do it. But do keep an open mind and don't be ashamed to acknowledge a change if and when it does happen. Also, even if it does change, you will always be welcome here as an ally! :)

Many asexuals knew they were different in junior high, but the orientation late bloomer end mark is typically 15, so you do have the possibility of being a late bloomer.

Welcome to AVEN! If you think you might be a late bloomer, then you might be. I know I identified as asexual a few years after 13, but I never even considered being a late bloomer (though my mom still thinks I am five years later). Regardless, your identity is not fixed. It changes as you grow and change. So if you later learn you are sexual, then there's no shame in previously identifying as asexual. I hope you have a good time here and talking to everyone can help you learn more about yourself and your identity. :cake:

I wish I had found out about asexuality as early as you have... that would have made me feel a lot better. I didn't realize I was an aromantic asexual until about a year ago. Anyways, welcome to the hAVEN! Late bloomer or not, we're here to support you, so don't be afraid to open up. I've personally learned a lot about myself here and I hope you find your answers too! :)

Sure, you might change from asexual to allosexual when you're older - and then later you might change back from allosexual to asexual. And an allosexual person might become asexual when they're older, and a homosexual person might become bisexual, and so on. Someone's sexual and romantic identity can change regardless of how old they are. Anything can happen to anybody. Just feel free to be who you are, and when the future comes, feel free to be who you are then too.

My gosh, knowing all about asexuality and aromanticism and sensual and aesthetic attraction at 13 years old! I'm so glad that you were able to learn about this stuff so early. I've always been aro/ace but I didn't know there were words for it - I just thought there was something wrong with me until I found this site when I was 18. Good for you!!

Welcome to AVEN! :cake::cake::cake:

I thought i was a late bloomer for years too untill i found out about my sexuality a few months ago and im 34 so i dont think you are too old or too young to decide on your sexuality, I wish i had found out about this earlier because i didnt even know there was such a thing as asexuality when i was 13 nobody really talked about that subject at that time also there was no internet to figure things out so im happy for you that you are able to find out about this at such a young age.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement! :)