calling all tom boys!

amyandamy

Before I realised I was asexual (aged about 20) I just assumed I was a tom boy. I'm age 38 now and I'm still the most 'bloke-like' woman ever! I don't feel like I'm 'trapped in a man's body' or anything as complex as that, I just think I'd be good at being a man. I don't do ANY girl stuff - makeup, clothes, nails, hair, handbags, shoes, shopping, perfume - the whole 'woman' scene is a total mystery.

It sure makes getting ready easier and cheaper though!

Let's here your best tom-boy stories

IceHurricane

I'm pretty much the same way as you. I even prefer to wear cologne over perfume, and I when I was younger, I used to wash my hair with my brother's shampoo because I thought it smelled better than mine. :ph34r: I haven't worn a dress/skirt since my grade 8 graduation, and that makes my parents sad but oh well sucks for them. I just find it so much easier dressing like a guy, and girl clothes are so uncomfortable to me! At least with guy clothes, you can actually breathe and I just find baggy clothes more 'me' than anything else.

scarletlatitude

That is why I call myself androgynous. I don't mind being female. I don't mind being male. I choose which gender to be when I wake up in the morning. :P Usually the answer is male.

I just went on an international trip with a group that I didn't really know. Looking around at the other females made me realize how androgynous I am. I dressed more masculine than most of the males, and more proper than most of the females.

I do wear makeup sometimes. It makes me look less dead. :P I have really pale skin and dark eye areas. In the summer months I don't even bother.

I only fix my hair because I have to. It's a curly mess otherwise. Sometimes I straighten it when I really can't stand it anymore, because it will hold the straightness for a long time.

Who the hell decided that females need so many shoes? I have like 4 pairs. And handbags? Really, it's just a sack for carrying crap. You don't need 900 of them.

Androgynous? I've not heard of that - I'll look it up. I've never owned a hairdryer - or straighteners. I get my hair cut for £5 at the barbers with the men -

I hate shopping for clothes too, so I just don't bother - I wear black trousers and a shirt every day at work the same - like a man!

....and don't get me onto shoes!!!!! What's with the shoes???? Who needs all those shoes?

I used to be "girly" but that didn't really stick (that probably won't stop mom from somehow trying though). There's also this tv trope known as the ladette that I relate to as well to a certain degree.

...Seriously, I don't think I need that many shoes! Just give me some black tennis shoes and we'll call it a day.

IceHurricane

I've been wearing the same DC shoes for over 3 years. They're not falling apart, so they're still good to me. I do have a pair of flip flops though (that I got from the mens section as well) Those are the only 2 shoes I own. (Other than the 2nd pair of DCs I have that are too big for me so I don't wear)

I can't believe how much some women spend on products - I've just got 3 things - toothpaste, deodorant and shampoo. The shampoo does hair and body in one easy bottle, and the deodorant is more for the sake of my work colleagues - I don't really bother at the weekends

I consider myself a tomboy though I still have this part of me that needs to straighten the hair :D , I know how girly it sounds and that's why I avoid to say it. My mother always complained of me cause she wanted me to wear jewelry and skirts and feminine shoes, heels, but I was interested only in sneakers, I also never understood whats with all the rings and necklaces thing, to wear gold, I was neh. The thing is that despite all this I am still considered very feminine, maybe because of my features, I talked with the girls and we were planning on dressing like boys, have short hair and while they said they'd really look like boys they told me that for me it's impossible. Other time I was talking with this friend who said that for graduation she'd probably wear a tuxedo, I was excited that I would want that too and she said to me that she sees me in a dress, I was "really now?all of you people?".

HomeBirdJen

Hello fellow tom-boys! I'm in the process of becoming more comfortable with the masculine side of myself. I am cis-female, but my make up is minimal, clothes and accessories also. I have to wear uniform at work, and out of work I'm usually in jogging pants and a t shirt, bra or no bra depending on the weather/my mood/time of day/month/how tired I am!!! I prefer mens clothing ranges to ladies as they never seem to have rhinestones studded all over them. My hair is short and I do straighten it but because this is how I like it to look. I know plenty of cis-males who straighten their hair too! I wish someone would open a chain of high street clothing stores in the UK that were gender-neutral.

I've have an on/off relationship with bras too - I'm small chested so technically only need one if I'm running. I rarely wear them at weekends and would gladly never wear one again. But it feels wrong somehow to go bra-less at work :unsure:

I do own a dress - bought and worn for a wedding, but I felt absolutely ridiculous in it

I do have one 'girly' vice though ...... shaving - I love a smooth leg!

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of tomboyish too... I dress rather "unisex",I usually wear men's shirts because women's shirts often doesn't come in my size anyways and men's shirts are much more comfy and usually better manufactured. I always preferred to wear minimal make-up but a few months ago I decided to give it a try and stopped wearing make-up. At first I was afraid I will miss it but that wasn't the case. I felt free! I'm not into jewellery either. A wristwatch is enough for me. (I wear unisex watches or men's watches since women's watches are way too small and too glittery.)

@HomeBirdJen: Your avatar is so cute! :wub: Is it your bird?

Guest Jigger77

It's the make-up thing I can't get over. I have worn it in the past for major events (ie. weddings, interviews) just to smooth out the complexion a bit. But there's the natural look...trying to look like you're not wearing make-up...and then there's the, I don't even know what to call it. Spackle and cake? It reaches a point where you don't look human anymore. How is that attractive?

I'm a solid T-shirt and jeans girl. Can't stand prints. If I wear anything with patterns, it's got to be something geometrical like stripes, not abstract (unless I'm purposely trying to be obnoxious). Pastels are the anti-Christ. Good thing that my complexion doesn't tolerate them...I look like I'm suffering from an illness when I put something on with that color scheme. Clothing (and life for that matter) should be simple. If it's not comfortable, why wear it?

Oh, don't get me started on make up. Some women apply so much they look like their faces are fake. And their eyebrows - plucked all thin and then drawn on with black pen. And fake nails.......urgh - I hate them

HomeBirdJen

@ixi - Yes, he *was* my bird; the late great Jimmy Stickybeak the Second! He passed away a few years ago. I have been toying with the idea of putting a picture of my actual face as my avatar on here but still a bit nervous to do so. May wait until my hair is properly cut & coloured next week - another supposedly "girly" vice!

@amyandamy - WHAT is the deal with eyebrows?!?!?!?!?! Some people get them threaded - what does that even MEAN?! Are people plaiting/braiding eyebrows now??? Ooh I get what you mean about shaving though - did my legs today too! Although only the bottom half shin area, haha!

@Jigger77 - I could not agree MORE with what you said! :D

I've only just discovered this thread and I already love it!

I identify as genderqueer (agender or non-binary or what have you), but my gender expression is decidedly androgynous. In the past few years I've experimented with masculine and feminine clothing, and both 'extremes' felt wrong. I can't describe how happy I am now that I found my 'true self' and my style!

Don't know if I fit the tomboy stereotype, but almost all of my favourite female characters in literature and movies are tomboys :wub:

Kiaroskuro - welcome to the tomboy thread - you're in good company. It looks like we all have some girly vices to share :-)

I constantly got confused with a boy when I was a kid - and looking back at pictures I can see why! I look like a nine year old boy in my senior school graduation photo.

homebirdjen - some of the eyebrows I see look dreadful - very severe with precision-straight lines. And those really really really long eyelashes - all clumped together with mascara.

So Kiaroscuro..........let's nominate our favourite women in film and literature to see if there's a tomboy connection

I give you 'Shirley Valentine' (British film)

Thanks for the special welcome, amyandamy! I do feel quite at home in this thread ...I just don't get so-called girly things.

So Kiaroscuro..........let's nominate our favourite women in film and literature to see if there's a tomboy connection

I give you 'Shirley Valentine' (British film)

Oh, great idea! Here's an incomplete list of my favourites, for a start:

Idgie Threadgoode (Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café)

Jo March (Little Women)

Darlene Conner (Roseanne)

Juno

Maggie O'Connell (Northern Exposure)

Pippi Longstocking

Do cartoons count? Because I have to nominate Peppermint Patty (;

Never heard of Shirley Valentine, I'll have to check it out.

I've not heard of all those films so I'll try and check them out. Always looking for good suggestions for movie night. Fried Green tomatoes at the wistlestop café is one of the best films ever - top pick!

Clarice Starling (Jodie foster - Silence of the lambs)

Erin Brockovich

Thelma and Louise

I'm so going to have to watch Fried Green Tomatoes tonight now -

I can totally relate to this! I really had to watch it a few weeks ago, too.

It's such a gem of a film.

I'm a bit of a tom boy and generally relate to the men (mostly the older guys) much better than women. I like sports and have a technical job that involves computers (petroleum geologist). I feel like my brain works more like a man's brain as I'm extremely logically. I'm ok with being a woman though and have all the curves (bras are a must for me) that go with it. But I don't wear make-up (expect maybe on a super special occasion), have short hair, and don't wear many skirts/dresses. Can't stand perfume (or cologne). I leave my eye brows natural, but I'm lucky they are rather tame and look good without fuss. For work I do dress in nice trousers, sweaters, and modest heels as the office environment sort of demands it. And don't ask me to talk about kids or babies and other things women are supposed to be interested in.

My big girlie vice is shoes though. For some reason I absolutely love shoes and have a bunch of them. They are generally practical, comfy shoes though. Several of them are outdoor type shoes. I also have acrylic nails, but that's to keep me from bitting them. I prefer the fake nail (do french, so no color) look over my mangled, chewed nails. It's cleaner and more professional looking.

One trend I don't understand is the fake eye lashes. I really don't know what those are about and I think they look dumb. Do women really thing guys are going to like them just because they have fake eye lashes? Seems rather silly to me...

Hi Gio-Amy, great to hear your story.

My personal loath is seeing little girls dressed as women - and unfortunately it's becoming increasing the norm. Little girls getting their hair and makeup done :( - I realise many little girls want to dress as tiny princesses, but I wonder in practice how much of a choice they have? It seems to give out entirely the wrong message and must limit the choices they can ultimately have in life.

Anthracite_Impreza

I've always felt more like a boy than a girl. When other little girls were pushing around prams with dolls in them I put my toy cars and sharks in mine ;) The Barbie dolls people bought me ended up in various gruesome deaths, one in a shark, one a crocodile, several became the victims of evil killer cars and trucks, one was impaled by a Stegosaurus and one ended up in the microwave (that one got me in trouble... and cost a microwave... :redface:). Eventually people stopped buying me Barbies. I was forced to wear dresses and hated it, until one day I got the balls to cut one up with scissors and put it in the bin as a "sign". My dad was secretly thrilled I think cos it meant he got to buy me Lego and a train set (loved that thing), and didn't have to learn how to girl. Good times, good times...

Nowadays I think I'm even more of a lad, and I've even been called "one of the lads" before which was like the best compliment ever :wub: I'm into mechanics and cars (duh), trains, trucks, planes, motorbikes, model collecting, dinosaurs, exploring woods, geology, fossil hunting and am massively into car modification, especially the Japanese tuning scene which is very male dominated. The only "girly" things I think I have is my love of cute, furry things and stuffed teddies. Never had so much as a handbag or tried any make-up, it just... well it feels like cross-dressing, and not in the pantomime way!

Autumn Sunrise

I'm a bit of a tom boy and generally relate to the men (mostly the older guys) much better than women. I like sports and have a technical job that involves computers (petroleum geologist). I feel like my brain works more like a man's brain as I'm extremely logically. I'm ok with being a woman though and have all the curves (bras are a must for me) that go with it. But I don't wear make-up (expect maybe on a super special occasion), have short hair, and don't wear many skirts/dresses. Can't stand perfume (or cologne). I leave my eye brows natural, but I'm lucky they are rather tame and look good without fuss. For work I do dress in nice trousers, sweaters, and modest heels as the office environment sort of demands it. And don't ask me to talk about kids or babies and other things women are supposed to be interested in.

My big girlie vice is shoes though. For some reason I absolutely love shoes and have a bunch of them. They are generally practical, comfy shoes though. Several of them are outdoor type shoes. I also have acrylic nails, but that's to keep me from bitting them. I prefer the fake nail (do french, so no color) look over my mangled, chewed nails. It's cleaner and more professional looking.

One trend I don't understand is the fake eye lashes. I really don't know what those are about and I think they look dumb. Do women really thing guys are going to like them just because they have fake eye lashes? Seems rather silly to me...

I can relate to a lot of this! I loved geology and maths, and ended up teaching both in high school. Although I was supposed to dress fairly formally at work I almost always wore pants with a jacket and flat shoes. I wore my hair short (it was easier to look after, although I must admit that now I have it long.) I also had to "suffer" a bra - wish I could have managed without one :( Mostly I got away with minimal make-up, and still do :)

I must admit, I do like perfume - for special occasions - but I'm very fussy about what I choose because some brands make me feel ill. I guess I just have expensive tastes :lol:

Fake eye lashes . . . what the??? I simply couldn't be bothered!

Hi Gio-Amy, great to hear your story.

My personal loath is seeing little girls dressed as women - and unfortunately it's becoming increasing the norm. Little girls getting their hair and makeup done :( - I realise many little girls want to dress as tiny princesses, but I wonder in practice how much of a choice they have? It seems to give out entirely the wrong message and must limit the choices they can ultimately have in life.

I totally agree, amyandamy - I've always been disgusted by this, and I feel that in most cases it's something initiated by ambitious mothers, even if the child does learn to enjoy the adulation. It seems unnatural and unhealthy to me :huh:

Autumn Sunrise, I didn't know you were a tomboy!!!

Anyway, I don't consider myself to be a tomboy. I am what I am, just me! So like me or don't, it doesn't bother me, because I won't change for anybody, but myself.

I don't wear any makeup because my eyes and skin are very sensitive to everything. I do get my eyebrows threaded because I like how they look and no they are not pencil thin, they are full and naturally dark brown. I have naturally straight hair that my hair stylist cuts in a nice feminine style. It does need to be styled though. I wear comfortable sketchers without laces. Yes, unfortunately, I have multiple pairs of shoes. Women's clothes are often ugly in style, color and patterns. I shop carefully and have found women's Columbia button down, short sleeved shirts that come in different colors. I also found women's golf shirts that are very comfortable. I do wear women's jeans, I love how they fit. But since I don't carry a purse ( I would immediately lose it), I have had a tailor make me deeper front pockets, so I can carry all my necessities.

For health reasons, undergarments are very important to me. I wear very comfortable underwear that does not ride up when wearing them. They are called Tomboyx. They have different styles and are made specifically for women. I love them and will never wear anything else again. They are a little expensive, but are worth it to me.

I am an aro ace, but find men aesthetically attractive. I find nothing wrong with my appearance and in fact, I feel confident about myself and love how I look. The most important thing is to feel comfortable with who you are, because you have to live with yourself.

Archived