How about......

Spectre/Ex/Machina

Spectre/Ex/Machina

Instead of (cupio/demi/grey:sexual) or (blank)sexual

we just say Cupio or Grey or Demi or Sapio or Lith or Apothi......

There has been so much debate over these words and displeasure with the "sexual" suffix, why not eliminate it?

After all Lesbians don't say Lipsticksexual, they say Lipstick Lesbian and Gays don't say Bearsexual they say Bear.

It's all about identifying the type/flavor of Ace you are just like other orientations do.

So idk, nix the suffix and keep the terms, eh? What do ya say?

Because the romantic orientation is a thing too even if the outside world hasn't recognized it yet?

The displeasure isn't with the -sexual suffix from what I have seen; it's with those terms being used as sexual orientations.

Spectre/Ex/Machina

Because the romantic orientation is a thing too even if the outside world hasn't recognized it yet?

The displeasure isn't with the -sexual suffix from what I have seen; it's with those terms being used as sexual orientations.

Isnt is seen as an orientation due to the -sexual suffix? That is what Ive seen causing issue with most at least.

Isnt is seen as an orientation due to the -sexual suffix? That is what Ive seen causing issue with most at least.

The suffix is used to discern it from being associated with the romantic spectrum, because all of those things you mentioned can apply to that spectrum as well (I'm a demiromantic)

Spectre/Ex/Machina

The suffix is used to discern it from being associated with the romantic spectrum, because all of those things you mentioned can apply to that spectrum as well (I'm a demiromantic)

Im just brainstorming. I do see your point though which why I want to have this conversation. There is so much back and forth with this topic and perhaps this can be a place to come to a consensus.

I can see your point, but like Philip said, there's other orientation suffixes as well. For example, I'm cupiosexual, but not cupioromantic. Saying I'm cupio, while would be a wonderful way a) shortening it, and b) finding a middle ground between those of us who like the terms and those who don't, it will also cause issues between those who mean it in one area verses those who mean it in a different one. Although perhaps there's a way to add it? Cupio asexual? Gray biromantic? Lith heterosensual? It will make some people's labels longer, and for some nothing would really change. Although for some it might start to get a bit repetitive. Apothi and cupio both fall under the A label (e.i. asexual, aromantic, etc), so saying "apothi asexual" is just repeating, since apothisexual is a subset of asexual. It would like saying "an asexual sex-repulsed asexual."

Spectre/Ex/Machina

I can see your point, but like Philip said, there's other orientation suffixes as well. For example, I'm cupiosexual, but not cupioromantic. Saying I'm cupio, while would be a wonderful way a) shortening it, and b) finding a middle ground between those of us who like the terms and those who don't, it will also cause issues between those who mean it in one area verses those who mean it in a different one. Although perhaps there's a way to add it? Cupio asexual? Gray biromantic? Lith heterosensual? It will make some people's labels longer, and for some nothing would really change. Although for some it might start to get a bit repetitive. Apothi and cupio both fall under the A label (e.i. asexual, aromantic, etc), so saying "apothi asexual" is just repeating, since apothisexual is a subset of asexual. It would like saying "an asexual sex-repulsed asexual."

That was one of the things considered. IDK this is difficult, the convo just keeps popping up and Im trying to work something up here.

Suggestions? lol.......

JohnDoe1995

The words "sexual" & "romantic" are necessary because that's the main idea here - a person's sexual/romantic orientation/identity. Dropping these words can cause confusion (like previous replies stated).

One of the reasons the LGBT+ community & the straight community don't "bother" to use the "sexual" suffix is that most of them aren't aware that a person's sexuality & romanticism aren't necessarily the same. They assume a gay person is both homosexual & homoromantic, so for them, the suffixes aren't relevant.

The LGBT+ community do have short terms, but also long ones: homosexual/gay, bisexual/bi, (heterosexual/straight for straight people), etc. & same goes for us. Asexual/ace, aromantic/aro, demisexual/demi, gray-asexual/gray-A/grace, etc. (Works for romanticism as well). Any person can use which version of the term he/she wants.

To clear something up, the examples you gave aren't really relevant because they aren't related to sexual identity, but to personality or appearance:

Lipstick lesbian - a lesbian who exhibits more feminine characteristics.

Bear - a gay man with masculine features, mostly hairy & heavily built (fat/chubby/muscular).

These terms & similar ones don't have the "sexual" suffix as they don't identify someone's sexuality, unlike burstsexual (an ace person who only feel random bursts of sexual attraction/desire.), for example.

Finaly, the main debate about the "sexual" suffix is wether the terms under the gray area are considered as sexual orientations or not, as they don't specify the gender(s) the person is attracted to. In my experience, a good way to end the debate is to refer to the gray-A terms as sexual identities instead of orientations, just like transgender is a gender-based identity & not an orientation.

Spectre/Ex/Machina

So a new category "Sexual Identity" should be noted as something different from "Sexual Orientation"?... Interesting, I shall consider this.

Also, I mentioned Lipstick Lez and Gay Bear to draw comparrison, you know like here are some flavor of Lez and Gay and there are also flavors of A. Sort of thing.

That's a way to look at it. I could see it being a "Sexual Identity." Although personally, I see the labels as ways for people to better understand themselves and others. As long as it does that job, I don't really care where the labels are placed under.

Spectre/Ex/Machina

Anybody else wanna pitch in here?

Archived