A possible new symbol?

JohnDoe1995

JohnDoe1995

I'm demisexual & I've been looking for a demisexual/gray-A symbol I could use/wear.

The problem is that there are very few gray-a symbols out there. I've been searching online & in the different topics here, & though many ideas came up, most were deemed not good enough. I was about to give up when I saw this:

"Ace Visibility Day

On May 8,2015 the Ace Community will be posting photos and graphics of Ace cards to correspond with their orientations. The delegations are as follows:

Ace of Hearts: Alloromantic Asexual - experiences romantic attraction regularly toward one or more genders. This includes orientations such as heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic, polyromantic, and panromantic.

Ace of Spades: Aromantic Asexual - does not experience romantic attraction toward any gender.

Ace of Diamonds: Demiromantic/Demisexual & Grey-aromantic/Grey-Asexual- Experiences romantic and/or sexual attraction only if a strong emotional bond is established. OR Experiences romantic/sexual attraction rarely, not strongly enough to act on, only under specific circumstances, or fluctuates between periods of experiencing attraction and not experiencing it.

Ace of Clubs: Questioning/Unsure of Orientation - Aware they fall on the aromantic and/or asexual spectrum, but not sure where.

Please spread the word on this and if youre participating, be sure to tag your photos: #AceDay."

The concept of the heart & the spade are clear to all of us. The club can be a good symbol for questioning aces as it looks like a mix of the heart & the spade symbols, & the diamond can represent the gray-A/demi community.

What do you think? Would you use the ace of diamonds as a symbol of your gray-asexuality?

Sage Raven Domino

With regard to grey-aromanticism - definitely yes, I don't wanna change the display name :lol:

I've been 'accused' of grey-asexuality as well. (In fact, my attitude to oral and manual stimulation is still undefined.)

• 1 month later...

I am kind of confused about the ace of spades thing. can only aromantic asexuals use it? Because alot of the times it is used as a symbol for all types of asexuals.

Most pride shirts I have seen for asexuals have it on them.

(not to mention there is this totally bad ass asexual pride shirt with a dragon in the shape of a spade on it. but I am not aromantic and I want to get it and this totally throws that plan out the window now lol)

MisterKrister

I am kind of confused about the ace of spades thing. can only aromantic asexuals use it? Because alot of the times it is used as a symbol for all types of asexuals.

(not to mention there is this totally bad ass asexual pride shirt with a dragon in the shape of a spade on it. but I am not aromantic and I want to get it and this totally throws that plan out the window now lol)

I don't think there are any strict rules to follow when it come to use of symbols. If you feel like the symbol represent you in some way and/or you want to show support to the group that uses the symbol, then you should carry it with pride. And for the shirt, nobody can tell you what kind of clothes you should put on, so use what you think look cool.

scarletlatitude

I don't like this.... I LOVE IT. All the aces!!!

Oh my gosh having a shirt with all of the cards on it would be such a great way to show ace pride. I likes it lots and lots. (Plus the school I used to work for had the mascot "Aces" so I'm already halfway there... maybe I'm just more excited to be able to use those shirts in a new way. :P )

I don't think there are any strict rules to follow when it come to use of symbols. If you feel like the symbol represent you in some way and/or you want to show support to the group that uses the symbol, then you should carry it with pride. And for the shirt, nobody can tell you what kind of clothes you should put on, so use what you think look cool.

I agree -- I don't think it's meant to be a polarizing thing. It's just taking the symbol "aces" and giving each of the major groups its own card. But you could choose whichever you want.

What do you think? Would you use the ace of diamonds as a symbol of your gray-asexuality?

I don't identify as grey-ace, so I may not be best placed to answer this, but: a symbol should mean something, either to you or to other people. The ace of diamonds is not widely recognised as a grey-ace symbol, even within the asexual community (neither you nor I knew of it, for example), so if you're wearing it to proclaim your grey-aceness to other people, it won't work. If you want a symbol that means something to you personally, obviously you can choose whatever you like!

MisterKrister

Now i'm just thinking about a t-shirt with all the different aces on them. And if you could choose witch card you should have in front, so it can match with the one you identify most with. Man, I want it :-D :-D

The spade is sometimes used for all of asexuality. An upside-down spade in the ace colours is also a thing.

Just because a symbol isn't widely used doesn't mean we can't give it visibility.

I don't like this.... I LOVE IT. All the aces!!!

Oh my gosh having a shirt with all of the cards on it would be such a great way to show ace pride. I likes it lots and lots. (Plus the school I used to work for had the mascot "Aces" so I'm already halfway there... maybe I'm just more excited to be able to use those shirts in a new way. :P )

you can get a shirt with all the ace symbols in dragons https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/202935-aces-of-dragons

the artist has shirts for most sexuality's and genders (its an ongoing project)

but because the artist is asexual we got more options :D

Archived