Worried

Randomchaos

Ok so I haven't told my parents I'm ace... And am not planing to lol. But I had a nightmare last night that they found out that I was visiting this site. So I know it's really bothering me. I only open the tab in private browsing, and I keep the tablet facing away from the door. So technically it would be impossible for them to see. Normally if I were stressing this much about something I would just stop. But haven is the only place for me to talk with people who won't tell me "well you aren't really asexual, you'r just confused." or lecture the crap out'a me. This might belong in a different forum... If it does i'm sorry :)

Though I guess I could make the question "How would you cope with the stress?" or something like that.

Cause my parents would freak if they found me on this site.

I am also keeping my asexuality from my parents. I tend to browse AVEN from my phone, and if I use the computer I do so via incognito mode. I've gotten quite bold with browsing, even to the point where I'm sat two meters away from my mam. I don't worry because no one could tell what this site is about from a glance. The writing on my phone is small and my brightness is kept low to increase battery life. It takes barely a second for me to get off Internet, and there is no way they could see in that time.

RaisedByHippies98

If it bothers you enough that you get paranoid about them finding out on a regular basis, maybe dont go on this site when they are home, or go out with your laptop to a coffee shop or somewhere. But not coming out involves secrecy to do what u dont want others to know youre doing based on who u are, so focus on being as honest as you can in all other situations with them

stanACEberatheon

Don't be too worried by what your parents would think, because it's not like you are committing a crime by being who you are. ;)

In years to come, you'll move out into your own place and you won't need to worry about how open minded or how accepting your parents are. If you like this site for its support and information, then continue to use it and to hell with what your parents think.

• 2 weeks later...
whocaresthough

If they do find out, you can always lie and say that you were doing a school report. I wouldn't, but some have, and it works.

ObsessedWithAnime

Honestly, I think they probably aren't interested enough to try to read all of the forums over your shoulder. I feel like that would take a lot of effort.... Also the forums are text heavy, so even if they got a glimpse they might only be able to make out a few words at most. Maybe avoid topics that would be a bit more awkward if they see it, such as forms with words like "masturbate, sex, etc." Also, if you aren't even in the same room as them I doubt they'll find out anything. Also I don't know how many parents would take away their child's laptop or whatever to thoroughly investigate their web history... If you really wanted you could even clear your history if you think that would make you feel safer about it?

RoseGarden

I'm sorry that this is something that you have to hide. I just recently came out to my mother and she was very understanding. I hope you continue finding comfort in connecting with the community here. And try not to worry over much about them finding out. It sounds to me like you're being pretty smart with your computers privacy settings and unless you come right out and tell them, their not very likely to find out. And if they do, they do. You shouldn't be ashamed of who you are. There's noting wrong with you! And sometimes, people can surprise you. But you know your parents best, and if you don't want to tell them, you don't have to. As long as YOU are okay with yourself, that's all that really matters.

chicken_legs

I know how you feel, coming out to the family can be scary (and sometimes can make things worse). Just delete your browsing history every time you log off! You don't have to tell anyone about your sexuality until you feel 100% safe doing so.