Any 80s Kids Here?

MoxieMinmo

I saw video not too long ago where a dude drank a bottle of "vintage" clear Pepsi. It was yellow and had chunks in it. I think the corn syrup was trying to reform kernels. Needless to say it didn't go well at all.

Eww gross 

• 2 weeks later...

^^ chunks? :P

I was born '79. Too young to really remember most of the '80s. but I loved all the cartoons of the late 80s early 90s.

I don't have many of my toys I had as a kid, but I DO still have my My Little Ponies. and my "glow friends."

..the toys that I miss most are my Land Before Time puppet/figures from Pizza Hut. (also, I had a lot of fun with my Dino Riders.)

I think my mother gave away all my toys when I lived in Boston. Bitch.

Anyone else remember grand games with potentially lethal lawn darts? Luckily, I never saw anyone get hurt. They were fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was a preteen and teen during the 80s and i confess I've been having a bit of a 80s revival lately. 

I was never big into a lot of the pop culture that people get nostalgic about, but I was very much into the music. I was obsessed with music in the 80s, especially punk and post-punk music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of music i loved back then, especially early REM and the Smiths.

I also just watch River's Edge for the first time in a very long time, which was one of my fav movies from that time. I had a best friend then (who it turned out was asexual like me--we just didn't know it yet!) who idolized Keanu Reeves, long before anyone knew who Keanu Reeves was, and we had to watch River's Edge about 6-7 times, on VHS, in his bedroom with our other friends and my best friend's older brother whining about us hogging the bedroom, eating Domino's pizza and having my best friend tell me how much "cooler" Keanu was than me. LOL. 

I think I'm going to watch Sid and Nancy again next--that was another one of my favorite movies from that time. 

lilgroundhog

By time I started school I could actually say that Levar Burton just pretended to be Geordi LaForge on Star Trek: Next Generation, because he also did Reading Rainbow.  It definitely helped me to understand the different between fiction and reality.  Other than that, I don't remember much from the late 80's, early 90's.  Well, there was the amazingness of Mr. Rogers.   

sunnytimes36

I was born in 1980 and I still love all 80s stuff, especially the music and movies. The 80s was such a great era 😁. 

• 1 month later...

I was a bit withdrawn as a kid (in the 80's) so a lot of stuff went over my head... but there's some pop culture stuff that makes me tear up when I think of it... The Last Unicorn movie... the HBO intro that came on before the Feature Film... You Can't Do That On Television, Danger Mouse, Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea... watched lots of odd cartoons on Nickelodeon.  Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around... look at my pinwheel and see what I found!  I had a Sega Master System, my next door neighbor had Nintendo and another kid in the neighborhood had Atari... Labyrinth and those creepy stairs.  :)  My mom threw out all my Star Wars action figures that I had in a case shaped like Darth Vader's head.

KayleeBear
On 22/05/2017 at 8:28 AM, Mob1148 said:

I was a bit withdrawn as a kid (in the 80's) so a lot of stuff went over my head... but there's some pop culture stuff that makes me tear up when I think of it... The Last Unicorn movie... the HBO intro that came on before the Feature Film... You Can't Do That On Television, Danger Mouse, Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea... watched lots of odd cartoons on Nickelodeon.  Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around... look at my pinwheel and see what I found!  I had a Sega Master System, my next door neighbor had Nintendo and another kid in the neighborhood had Atari... Labyrinth and those creepy stairs.  :)  My mom threw out all my Star Wars action figures that I had in a case shaped like Darth Vader's head.

I absolutely loved You can't do that on television and Danger Mouse. I would race home from school to see them everyday.

I was born in 76 and I agree we had the best cartoons! Trying to remember their names. There was transformers, he man, Voltron, inspector gadget, Astro boy, Roger ramjet, danger mouse, mask just to name a few. Good memories. 😃

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
On 2017-6-6 at 3:15 AM, Johnny76 said:

I was born in 76 and I agree we had the best cartoons! Trying to remember their names. There was transformers, he man, Voltron, inspector gadget, Astro boy, Roger ramjet, danger mouse, mask just to name a few. Good memories. 😃

Astro boy! Hahah! I hated it! :P

Anyone liked them? :D

I was always worried for the bad girls :ph34r: I was like OMG, please run fast! Don't let them caught you!! OMG don't do this, they are going to see you!! :lol:

o-JEM-AND-THE-HOLOGRAMS-facebook.jpg

On 6/6/2017 at 3:15 AM, Johnny76 said:

Gummy Bears! Gargoyles! Fraggle Rock! (Okay, not a cartoon, but still awesome sauce.)

• 2 months later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Although I was born long before the 80s, I loved the cheery films, especially 'The secret of my success' and the music on the soundtrack of it 'walking on sunshine'. Then there was 'Crocodile Dundee'...myself and a friend decided to recreate the last scene of that in a Piccadilly tube station, needless to say it didn't work nearly as well as the New York subway!

• 9 months later...

i remember my mom & i traveled an hour by bus to go see E.T.

We missed the beginning so when it was over we just stayed & watched the whole movie again.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Spirit of '76 here.   Dang I'm old.   We had the best.  Except that hair..... what were we thinking?   

I'mTheDecoy

Born in 84, the year of Ghostbusters and Gremlins. Always felt like anyone who got to experience the 80s or early 90s (or the late 70s) as a kid got the best experience because you got to see technology develop - it's not alien to you as it could be for older generations but you appreciate it more than younger generations, because it wasn't always a given. 

so at work, I spend a large portion of my day with a person born in 68 and a person born in 97. The younger one keeps getting shocked by how old I was when he was still a little baby, for example when discussing world events or movie releases. And so the old one has started referring to us as if we are the same generation, 'in our day' sort of thing. I'm not that old! Okay, I still can't believe anyone born in the 90s is legally allowed to work - and now people born this century are walking around as if they are grown ups and not clearly still babies.... Basically everyone I work with is significantly older or younger than me. Which probably means everyone from our generation is doing something more interesting with their lives.

Strange But Not a Stranger

Born in 1980. 😎

I was obsessed with He-Man. I had almost all the action figures, or whatever you call these in English. Ghostbusters also. I remember there were two Ghostbusters. One I think was just a cartoon, while the other is of course the one with the movies. I loved both. (Found it, thank you Google)

Also MASK, Knight Rider, Airwolf, Transformers. I was such a girly girl. 🤣

I saw someone mention Popples. My cousin had one, and we used to play football (soccer if you like) with it in his parents' living room. Ahem. I don't know if his parents were that happy about it, but we had lots of fun.

Also, the first time I played Super Mario at a friend's house during lunch time. I loved it, and I remember persuading my parents to get a NES as well.

Many memories, most of them good.

Nice thread!

I'mTheDecoy
36 minutes ago, Fifi123 said:

I was obsessed with He-Man. I had almost all the action figures, or whatever you call these in English.

Yeah 'action figure' is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
RakshaTheCat

81 here, and, hmm, that makes me child of cold war. From Eastern Bloc, too 😈

I hatched in '84 but I don't remember much of my childhood to give specifics.

Do Biker Mice From Mars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Captain Planet, Johnny Quest, and Where in The World is Carmen Sandiego count? Also I loved Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball. Power Rangers too! Oh man! 

All I can remember in terms of music is Kriss Kross and MC Hammer.

I loved my hightops with the thick lace showlaces... wearing two layers of socks so both colors would match my outfit, and oh yeah... those leggings with the connected stirrup things... anyone?

🙃

On 7/4/2018 at 11:28 AM, I'mTheDecoy said:

Always felt like anyone who got to experience the 80s or early 90s (or the late 70s) as a kid got the best experience because you got to see technology develop - it's not alien to you as it could be for older generations but you appreciate it more than younger generations, because it wasn't always a given.

I can relate to this statement.

I remember some of the cartoons from the '80s (though, being born in '81, I may have watched some of them in early '90s) such as Captain Planet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc.

I was born in 1981 and I grew up in Poland :) and I totally agree about the joy of seeing technology developing. I had an old little Atari first, which I bought with my Holy Communion money, with games on cassettes, actual cassettes! Then my cousin beat me and got Commodore Amiga with some awesome games. Then I had my first IBM PC with an amber & black two-colour monitor and I played Prince of Persia on it :D I remember learning HTML a bit later (definitely 90s) like it was some obscure hermetic knowledge and making my first web page that looked horrible and had annoying music playing in the background... 

I remember watching old anime Yattaman, with Italian dubbing AND Polish person reading translated dialogues on top of it :D Sailor Moon was great too! 

I really liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I had a crush on... Shredder * hides * (it's because of his super cool outfit!)... I also loved Knight Rider series and had a mini-crush on... the awesome KITT car *hides even further * :D I also watched too much MacGyver back then... and had a notebook full of cut-out pics of Richard Dean Anderson (that was early 90s actually, I was 11-ish). 

I had the coolest pair of lycra leggings with some tropical holiday themed pattern - palm trees, parrots, surfers and my friends used to borrow them for school discos :) 

80s were great, and early 90s too!  

RakshaTheCat
On 7/23/2018 at 2:06 AM, InariYana said:

I remember watching old anime Yattaman, with Italian dubbing AND Polish person reading translated dialogues on top of it :D Sailor Moon was great too! 

I really liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I had a crush on... Shredder * hides * (it's because of his super cool outfit!)...

Your crush is understandable. I had mine on Miss Doronjo from Yattaman, and that was despite her being not really my type visually... Intelligent, passionate female leader, and a villain for annoying 'heroes', instant crush!  :twisted:

Witam ziomkę 😉

Archived