Any 80s Kids Here?

MoxieMinmo

Anyone born between '75-'85 want to wax nostalgic? We had all the best! Star Wars, Saturday morning cartoons, the best toy lines fashion...well, maybe not fashion. But really, I'm looking to make some acquaintances that remember all that good stuff. Do any of you still have anything from your childhood? What are your fave 80s movies/toys/shows? What do you miss the most? Tell me things!

Hmm, I don't fall between your numbers, but yes I would totally wax nostalgic with you.

It started with Thundercats, but I remember I loved Silverhawks!

I am not what I would call a collector, but I still have part of my Castle Greyskull. Lol

Also a few of comic books.

Superman, The Blues Brothers, Xanadu, and Rocky.

I remember loving the fantasy movies in the 80's: Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja, The Sword and The Sorcerer, Beast Master, and Excalibur. Also enjoyed Willow.

Life Force was a great movie.

Can't forget how much I loved Ghostbusters.

That all I can access for now.

Have a beautiful night.

Butterfly Belle

I loved Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony, Muppet Babies. I've still got all my Cabbage Patch dolls and my My Little Pony's. I started collecting some of the newer Ponies when they came out like 10 years or so ago now while they still looked nice. Now they are just skinny weird coloured ponies.

I was born in '88 so I wasn't a kid IN the 80's, but I was an 80's kid because of my older brothers (born in '79 and '81). So I grew up with all of their influences, their toys, their cartoons, everything, and I loved them just as much. I even appreciate them more now. Muppet Babies (YES, I had a muppet babies keyboard that I absolutely loved), Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony, Jem and the Holograms, Popples (? I think that's what they're called. We had a lot of them.), and Puffalumps (my current collection is huge because I still love them)...the list goes on! :P

My Random Memories

TV : flash, auto man, street hawk, night rider, the wonder years, Vicki the robot, Remington steele, Oshin ( popularvJapanese drama in Nepal), doogie howser md, xena, etc.

Archies - jughead was my favorite

Chicken Soup book series, Filmfare/stardust magazines

Cartoon - smurfs, heman, superman, teenage mutant ninja turtles, barbapappa, Ghostbusters

prince 1&2, mario, windows 95 :)

Brick game, Nintendo, Barbie, hello kitty stuff

How writing letters were "in" thing... to the parents or pen palling

Collection: stamp, foreign currencies, photos of celebrities

Classic audio and video cassettes :)

Chinese movies dubbed in English like Lucky seven, shaolin soccer, etc.

And finally wwf cards :D

I don't have anything from my childhood because either my parents or I myself gave them away to others.

I loved the wonder years and watched it during holidays.

What is up with this so-called new Jem and the Holograms movie that has no magic, no Synergy, no cutting edge fashion, and a whiny, teenage Jem with no self-confidence? It's like they decided to remake the Cheetah Girls, but then call it "Jem and the Holograms" instead. In fact, I heard that the script was written for a different movie, and then they did just that -- decided to call it Jem instead.

No, no, just a huge pile of no. I would love to see a GOOD Jem movie that was true to Jem. But this? No.

I also don't fall within your age parameters, I'm a bit older. I remember the Izod polo shirts with the collar turned up, boat shoes, acid wash jeans, the mullet, leg warmers, big hair bands like, a The Scorpions, Bon Jovi and Twisted Sister. Also, bands like Devo and Duran Duran. I liked all Jean-Claude Van Damme movies, The Original Star Wars trilogy, Star Trek the Next Gen. Video Game Arcades, 8 track tapes, and music cassette tapes. I remember the beginning of MTV. Ahhh this all brings back a lot of fond memories.

Me, but I'm kinda at a loss here. I was outside of a lot of popular culture as a kid, and the things I do remember, I don't really miss. I mean, things others would relate to. I definitely have memories of things very specific to my childhood and my family, but they're not anything I'd have in common with other people, really.

I'm in the same situation. I was born in '82, but I don't really have any nostalgic memories. I was always lost in my own little world.

Random Memories of 75-85

Commander Tom - Buffalo and Southern Ontario know who I'm talking about

Cartoon Playhouse -Sat & Sun 6 am to 7 am on CTFO Channel 9 Toronto

The Great Space Coaster

Read Along on TVO

Read All About It - TVO

Vic 20 - C 64

He- Man & She Ra

Mr. Dress Up

Watching a B&W 13 inch TV with bunny ears and that hoop for the UHF channels and still getting snow on the screen

MJ before he got all weird

Pop in glass bottles

Best childhood movies ever Smokey and the Bandit and Cannon Ball Run had to rent them everytime the family rented a VCR for the weekend,

POPPLES. OH YEAH.

I still have my 80+ collection of My Little Ponies, and most of them are in pristine condition. I have the boxed DVD set of The Real Ghostbusters, and also the Star Wars trilogy.

Oh, i could go on and on! Garfield when he was a psychopath and not so "nice", He-Man, She-Ra, PBS, Watership Down.

Voltron (I have all 5 boxed sets of that too...LOL), Transformers, (obviously I love anything animated), TMNT, GI Joe, Jem, gosh...lol

I was born a tad earlier and a teen at that time. - Toys I kept: remains of my RC stuff.

StarWars haunted me quite a while. - An elementary school buddy had a spin off board game which we played long before I watched the movies later.

I have kept the cassettes on which I recorded music but don't know if they are still any good..- Walkman was very hip back then... Gaming was done on Nintendos or Atari . owning a c64 would have been cool.

Hmm, I don't fall between your numbers, but yes I would totally wax nostalgic with you.

It started with Thundercats, but I remember I loved Silverhawks!

I am not what I would call a collector, but I still have part of my Castle Greyskull. Lol

Also a few of comic books.

Superman, The Blues Brothers, Xanadu, and Rocky.

I remember loving the fantasy movies in the 80's: Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja, The Sword and The Sorcerer, Beast Master, and Excalibur. Also enjoyed Willow.

Life Force was a great movie.

Can't forget how much I loved Ghostbusters.

That all I can access for now.

Have a beautiful night.

Ooh! I loved all those fantasy movies too! I wanted to BE Grace Jones from Conan the Destroyer! And I still want ferrets because of Beast Master! I also loved Legend, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal too~ I was a big fantasy nerd and always had unicorns and pegasi on something of mine. Ghostbusters is a work of art, full stop.

I loved Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony, Muppet Babies. I've still got all my Cabbage Patch dolls and my My Little Pony's. I started collecting some of the newer Ponies when they came out like 10 years or so ago now while they still looked nice. Now they are just skinny weird coloured ponies.

I never liked Cabbage Patch dolls (I hate children) but Muppet Babies and My Little Pony? Hell yeah! I only have ONE of the original ponies that I found at a thrift store. I have a lot of the later ones you mentioned that I also thrifted. I also have one Fashion Star Filly from my childhood and two more I thrifted. I agree the newest gen is nowhere near as cute as the old one. With those big bug eyes.

I was born in '88 so I wasn't a kid IN the 80's, but I was an 80's kid because of my older brothers (born in '79 and '81). So I grew up with all of their influences, their toys, their cartoons, everything, and I loved them just as much. I even appreciate them more now. Muppet Babies (YES, I had a muppet babies keyboard that I absolutely loved), Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony, Jem and the Holograms, Popples (? I think that's what they're called. We had a lot of them.), and Puffalumps (my current collection is huge because I still love them)...the list goes on! :P

I loved Popples and Puffalumps both! I had a lot of Popples but only one Puffalump (the lilac kitty). Sadly I lost almost all of my childhood toys to various disasters and yard sales. So, I do a lot of thrift shopping to try and rebuild my collection.

What is up with this so-called new Jem and the Holograms movie that has no magic, no Synergy, no cutting edge fashion, and a whiny, teenage Jem with no self-confidence? It's like they decided to remake the Cheetah Girls, but then call it "Jem and the Holograms" instead. In fact, I heard that the script was written for a different movie, and then they did just that -- decided to call it Jem instead.

No, no, just a huge pile of no. I would love to see a GOOD Jem movie that was true to Jem. But this? No.

The so called 'Jem' movie looks downright awful! How can you have a Jem and the Holograms movie with no Synergy?! You know, the one that supplies holograms?! And no Misfits?! And Eric Raymond is a woman?! I loved Eric Raymond! He was such a jerk! And don't even get me started on Juliette Lewis! I cannot stand even looking at her! Thanks but I'll just watch the original series and read the comics.

I still have my 80+ collection of My Little Ponies, and most of them are in pristine condition. I have the boxed DVD set of The Real Ghostbusters, and also the Star Wars trilogy.

Oh, i could go on and on! Garfield when he was a psychopath and not so "nice", He-Man, She-Ra, PBS, Watership Down.

Voltron (I have all 5 boxed sets of that too...LOL), Transformers, (obviously I love anything animated), TMNT, GI Joe, Jem, gosh...lol

You're soooo lucky to have your original ponies! I lost most of mine in a fire, sadly. I was a spoiled brat too so, I had all the playsets. I also loved Rose Petal Place and Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite! I also loved She Ra and He Man! My fave was Catra! I have both Jem and She Ra on DVD. I also have Watership Down which I never saw till I was an adult but I loved the book and ended loving the movie too. I remember when I would see the box at the video store, I always thought it was a war drama and never rented it. Which honestly, it kinda is a war drama but I had no idea it was animated. I thought the rabbit was just symbolic. All the times I passed it and never once did I pick it up and look at the back.

The so called 'Jem' movie looks downright awful! How can you have a Jem and the Holograms movie with no Synergy?! You know, the one that supplies holograms?! And no Misfits?! And Eric Raymond is a woman?! I loved Eric Raymond! He was such a jerk! And don't even get me started on Juliette Lewis! I cannot stand even looking at her! Thanks but I'll just watch the original series and read the comics.

Yes yes NO MISFITS! They took some completely unrelated script and renamed everyone after Jem characters and said "this is a Jem movie!" NOPE. I see what you did there!

Butterfly Belle

I should invite you all over to my house and we can play with my ponies, my popples, my barbies too if you want ^_^

LookingGlassAlice

I never liked Cabbage Patch dolls (I hate children) but Muppet Babies and My Little Pony? Hell yeah! I only have ONE of the original ponies that I found at a thrift store. I have a lot of the later ones you mentioned that I also thrifted. I also have one Fashion Star Filly from my childhood and two more I thrifted. I agree the newest gen is nowhere near as cute as the old one. With those big bug eyes.

I used to have a bunch of my old toys, but a lot of them got ruined when we had a bad flood in the basement recently. :( I had most of my Barbies but most were wrecked sadly. I still have a few ponies, two Fashion Star Fillies, my Lion King toys and some other stuff.

zx_spectrum-300x203.png

One of my friends at age 7 - 8 (Richard Hart) owned one of these. He always seemed uber cool when he coded ZX BASIC. I always wanted to have a ZX Spectrum at that age and always wanted to be as smart as Richard.

And now, some 30-odd years later, I have my own computer and had done coding in college.... and STILL ain't half as cool as Richard was!

transformer_logo.gif

I kept all my Generation 1 Transformers well into my mid-30s. If it wasn't for the fact I was forced to sell them because I desperately needed cash, I'd still have them even now. I've always known that Transformers sell well - an original boxed Transformer, which cost around £5 at the time in 1985, has been known to go for £60 plus nowadays.

I was pleseantly surprised about one thing. I collected a couple of combining teams - the Combaticons and the Seacons. Anyone who had the combining teams will know you had to add seperate feet, hands and helmet/head to the figure when you combined the team. I still had the Seacons/Paracon's hands, feet and helmet/head, which I figured was worth around 10p down a charity shop.

It sold for over £12 - £13 on ebay!

You have no idea how surprised I was when that happened!

Crims0nW0lfe

I still have a Rubbermaid bin full of Legos from my childhood. Y'know, back in the day when you bought sets of simple blocks in various colours so you could build whatever your imagination wanted you to build. I remember feeling disappointed when Lego started making "sets" that really only let you build what they intended for you to build, unless you REALLY got creative. My sister asked me once if I would consider giving my Legos to my nephews and I immediately felt myself cringe and tried to politely discourage the idea with "let me think about it". LOL

catsaregood

The lego trains my brother loved - he still has those, and they still work!

The apple IIE computer we had, which was the HEIGHT of awesomeness back then! We've since bought an old one on eBay, and it's so cool to play the old games again - we still had the old disks, not sure why, but I'm happy we did! Such limitations, such primitive graphics, and we so loved them when we were young! :)

I was born in 84. I'm an 80's baby and a 90's kid. I miss all the wonderful 80's things like Jem, He-man, Beetlejuice, Teddy Ruxpin, PJ SPARKLES! MY YOUTH! ; ; Lets go back to the 80's and REAL SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS.

Poor Kids of today! They get gyped royally on the cartoons!

I was ten when the 80s came roaring in, a perfect timing if there ever was one ... :)

MTV (when the "M" stood for music not miscellaneous), CNN, Nickelodeon (Pinwheel, The Tomorrow People, You Can't Do that on Television), as 90's Kid says, real Saturday morning cartoons starting at 5 in the morning until dad came in to watch football (the last network just recently stopped showing cartoons) ...

There was a lot of really cool things during the 80s, and a lot of really not so great things too.

86!!!! Yeah being a 90s kid was great!

Anyone remember clear pepsi?

86!!!! Yeah being a 90s kid was great!

Anyone remember clear pepsi?

Actually, I do remember clear Pepsi. It didn't last very long. Remember the New Coke formula? That went over like a lead balloon. I would think that those are good lessons in not messing with something that ain't broke, ya know?

I was ten when the 80s came roaring in, a perfect timing if there ever was one ... :)

MTV (when the "M" stood for music not miscellaneous), CNN, Nickelodeon (Pinwheel, The Tomorrow People, You Can't Do that on Television), as 90's Kid says, real Saturday morning cartoons starting at 5 in the morning until dad came in to watch football (the last network just recently stopped showing cartoons) ...

There was a lot of really cool things during the 80s, and a lot of really not so great things too.

Thats why I made a green shirt with the Nickelodeon SPLAT green and the words 90's kid Because Nick shaped my warped like brain. Haha

Nick gave us so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I was born in the 80s. We've recently had a The Goldbergs shown in the UK and it brought so much nostalgia for growing up in that era. He-man, Transformers, WWF, ET, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Garbage Pail Kids...all things I loved as a kid.

Thundercats, 80s films, 80s music - I love it all!

EverHopeful

Oy vey, the Jem movie trailor...like, damn, how did they get it so, so wrong?! It would be like filming a road movie about a bunch of teenagers driving perfectly ordinary cars and calling it Transformers. They clearly had no love or respect for Jem as a concept, so why bother? I mean, if you want to make a bland, generic movie about the perils of YouTube fame, then fine, be my guest...just don't call it Jem!

No Synergy? No Starlight House/Starlight girls? No Misfits? NO BIG HAIR?!?! Jem - powerful business woman and confident, compassionate role model for young girls everywhere - is now an insecure teenager? Whhhhhyyy...?

Clearly, they're chasing the teen money with this film, but that is such a mind numbingly stupid mistake to make. Teens aren't going to care about this incarnation of Jem or any other. Why not give us 30 something's the truly outrageous sci-fi rock opera we want? not only will we watch the hell out of it, but we will drag our children to watch it too! I just don't get the logic behind this 'reimagining'.

(Luckily, the comics are awesome. Kimber/Stormer forever!)

Rant over.

Guest Jigger77

Dude, I hear you about the Josie and the Pussycats...er, I mean Jem movie. I saw the trailer and was confused as hell. I can't remember which cartoon channel on cable resurrected the original cartoon series a year or so back, but when they did ratings apparently went up. So the campy, big hair, sci-fi, music themed concept apparently works just as well for this generation of kids as it did for us. Why mess with the recipe when it worked so well before? Why? Christ, Spice World looks more entertaining and true to a Jem-type theme than this crap.

Jem and the Holograms, Rainbow Bright, Starbright (is that what it was called? like this princess who rode around on a flying unicorn with a rainbow mane and the princess was also a superhero or something - nope that was Starla she was from the 90's, just Googled it lol) My Little Pony (I HAAAAAATE the new ones that my kids watch - they seriously slaughtered it, but the original pony rocked) Care Bears, that really old anime version of The Little Mermaid where she actually kills herself (that might have been from the 70s but I watched it when I was really little).. all the 80's and earlier Disney movies of course, Funnily enough we never actually had TV connected when I was a kid, I just watched all those on video :P Oh talking of that, VCR and cassette tapes, yussss.

and Sindy!! Did anyone else have Sindy dolls? She was waaaay better than Barbie lol. RIP Sindy.

Oh also that cool animated movie The Last Unicorn, that movie was awesome <3

Archived