How common is the black ring?

GwendolynAngel83

I personally wear mine all the time and did end up meeting another ace thanks to it. I was walking with some girls in my ASL class since we were all parked in the same general area, and one if the girls looked over at me and said she liked my ring. I'm very open with my asexuality so I smiled and said "Thanks, it's an ace ring." She just kind of smiled back and told me she knew before showing me basically the exact same ring on her right middle finger. I was rather excited and asked her about her romantic orientation which prompted a conversation that confused the other girl walking with us, which led to us explaining things to her

• Like 1
GwendolynAngel83

I personally wear mine all the time and did end up meeting another ace thanks to it. I was walking with some girls in my ASL class since we were all parked in the same general area, and one if the girls looked over at me and said she liked my ring. I'm very open with my asexuality so I smiled and said "Thanks, it's an ace ring." She just kind of smiled back and told me she knew before showing me basically the exact same ring on her right middle finger. I was rather excited and asked her about her romantic orientation which prompted a conversation that confused the other girl walking with us, which led to us explaining things to her

GwendolynAngel83

GwendolynAngel83

GwendolynAngel83

Um......my phone apparently freaked out and posted the same thing a bunch of times.....sorry about that....could someone delete those except the first one? I don't know how....

• Like 1
BlueButterflies

After I first figured out I was grey-ace, i looked into black rings. I bought one a couple days later and have been wearing it on my right middle finger since. The only person to ask about it was my grandma and I kinda just said that i wore it 'just because' since i didnt want to have to explain what asexuality was and that i was ace. (even more so since it was mother's day). I haven't run into anyone else who wears one, but then again, I don't know any other aces (besides one friend and i'm pretty sure she doesnt wear one).

ChineseGirl

I don't know anything about this asexual symbol but I don't like to be "recognized" as an asexual :)

ObsessedWithAnime

I have a black ring but often forget about it haha.. I never wore rings before I got the black ring so it still ill feel unnatural to me at times. But I do try to wear it...

I've never seen anyone with the ring, but I probably wasn't paying attention...

Phiffenella

I'm pleased this thread turned up. I've only recently discovered AVEN and realized there is nothing wrong with me....which makes me very happy. I have spent much of my adult life thinking I wasn't normal. I learned about the ring while exploring the site. It just so happens I already own a black ring and it is one of my favorites. It is a black onyx oval set in white gold. I currently wear it on my ring finger on my left hand. I'm thinking of having it resized so I can wear it on my middle finger. Not so much in hopes of meeting other Aces but to remind myself that I'm really okay! I'm still just in the "thinking about it" stage so reading the different responses has given me lots to think about!

• Like 3
ObsessedWithAnime

I'm pleased this thread turned up. I've only recently discovered AVEN and realized there is nothing wrong with me....which makes me very happy. I have spent much of my adult life thinking I wasn't normal. I learned about the ring while exploring the site. It just so happens I already own a black ring and it is one of my favorites. It is a black onyx oval set in white gold. I currently wear it on my ring finger on my left hand. I'm thinking of having it resized so I can wear it on my middle finger. Not so much in hopes of meeting other Aces but to remind myself that I'm really okay! I'm still just in the "thinking about it" stage so reading the different responses has given me lots to think about!

Haha I was like that a lot in the beginning, so I totally understand where you're coming from. I liked wearing the ring as a reminder to myself that I am not broken and that this is who I am and that's okay. That sounds like a very nice ring! :D I'm jealous! When I decided to start wearing the ring I didn't currently own one so I had to try fining one in a store for months! It was awful haha.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake::cake::cake:

• Like 1
Phiffenella

I googled aven ring...which is how I found out it was a black ring. You can get them on Amazon! And really cheap. My ring really is nice, though. Not cheap!

• Like 1

Welp, I'm going to buy one now. Does it have to be specific, or just any plain black ring? And does it have to be on your middle finger?

It's funny because my step dad's wedding ring is just black XD

The middle right finger is the designated one. But, do whatever you like. :)

Follow up:

The other fingers of the right hand are used by swingers, according to their website.

I have a black ring but often forget about it haha.. I never wore rings before I got the black ring so it still ill feel unnatural to me at times. But I do try to wear it...

I've never seen anyone with the ring, but I probably wasn't paying attention...

It took me months to get used to wearing mine, as I've never worn a ring before. :rolleyes:

DarkNekoJin

Last night was the first I've heard of this, so I was highly unaware of the ring concept. I've never looked at others to see if they had one, or ever acknowledged anyone with one. However, now that I'm aware of it I'll probably be looking more around just to see if there's others in my area who wear them/ Who's to say they do it for this reason, or let alone any reason at all, but its a nice concept to think about and look into.

whocaresthough

I want one now :) Not totally sure where to go about finding them cheap though. Amazon has them for one cent, but shipping costs.....

After searching around, I saw two places to buy them, though I didn't know about it the first time, so I was so obsessed with trying to find one that every store or Gas Station I went to, I'd look for one. WalMart didn't have one, and the smaller gas stations didn't have them, but I found mine for $10 at a larger Gas Station with a Taco Bell and sub sandwich place. If $10 is too expensive for you, I'd say go to a flee market or something. I went to one in Las Vegas years ago, and there was nothing they didn't have, black ring included, and I'm sure it would've been one dollar, tops.

Gas stations sell jewlery?????

The Amazon one would actually be cheaper ($6.99 for shipping) but idk how to explain the situation to my parents. *shrugs* I'll figure it out. Thank you!

Yus, yus. Well, here in Idaho, if you want to go from one large city to the next, it takes about 5 - 7 hours, so there are normal gas stations, but theres one by where I live (about an hour and a half away) that is decked out. It's called the Garden of Eden, and they have a sub sandwich place and Taco Bell, and the tables are under a fake tree beside a large fake rock, and there's a water fountain. It has blankets, all kinds of food and snacks, a whole bunch of key chains, a bazillion rings, books, and knives. It's pretty cool.

• Like 1

I have a black ring that I wear on my middle finger, but it's purely coincidence. It's on my left hand though. I've been wearing it for years, and I wear it constantly, but it's only recently that I discovered my sexuality (or lack of rather) and realised that black rings were actually a thing, and I just think it's quite funny. I would move it to my right hand, but it doesn't actually fit, so.

While I like this idea, I don't especially like the mixed signals it might send. I'm not prejudiced against swingers by any means; what each of us chooses to do (or not do, more to the point) is our own business. I just wouldn't particularly want people asking me if I am one, especially since I'm ace. Just awkward.

I hope I don't sound narrow-minded. I really am not.

I recently got a ring, but it fits poorly (will replace it when I can) and, because I work in the food service industry, I can't (or at least shouldn't) wear it at work.

I did recently see a man with a black ring on his middle finger, but again, work was in the way. I was on the clock and he was a customer, and so I could not ask about it.

While I like this idea, I don't especially like the mixed signals it might send. I'm not prejudiced against swingers by any means; what each of us chooses to do (or not do, more to the point) is our own business. I just wouldn't particularly want people asking me if I am one, especially since I'm ace. Just awkward.

I do have similar concerns, but the swinger community apparently tries to make it clear that the middle finger is reserved for aces. Still potential for confusion, but it will hopefully help to avoid that.

The swinger community seems to be pretty good about specifying that the middle finger is ours.

I do have similar concerns, but the swinger community apparently tries to make it clear that the middle finger is reserved for aces. Still potential for confusion, but it will hopefully help to avoid that.

The swinger community seems to be pretty good about specifying that the middle finger is ours.

Well, this is good to hear. They at least seem to be aware of the potential for mix-up. Even better, they acknowledge we exist! I have high hopes. ;)

Maelstrom_17

i was only recently aware of the black ring and i've yet to purchase one! although i doubt i'd be stopped because of it living in such an anti-social city. but it'd be comforting to wear one, feeling like part of the community, if that makes sense.

A Member Once Known As tqz

Not to dampen the ring thing, but…

At one place I worked our first day was simply an orientation session. They played a video with people describing the accidents they experienced by not following guidelines or when doing something that seemed innocuous. For example, one guy lost his eye because he used a bungee cord to hold boxes on a cart, and bungee cords were definitely against the rules. The bungee cord came loose while pushing the cart and hit him his eye, which he further related how it could not be saved by the doctors.

More pertinently, a woman lost her finger when her ring caught on a shelf and she…I forget, maybe she fell. Wedding ring, I think. Her finger ripped off her hand. It was a retail store so unless you're stocking items on a shelf maybe losing a finger is even less likely, but I would never have thought of it happening even then. But it supposedly did, and the lady participated in a video to warn others of the possibility. Either that, or the company made it up to scare people, but I don't believe they'd risk their reputation.

Anyways, may all ring wearers fare well in wearing rings. But if not…on the bright side you've still got nine more opportunities, eh?

Not to dampen the ring thing, but…

At one place I worked our first day was simply an orientation session. They played a video with people describing the accidents they experienced by not following guidelines or when doing something that seemed innocuous. For example, one guy lost his eye because he used a bungee cord to hold boxes on a cart, and bungee cords were definitely against the rules. The bungee cord came loose while pushing the cart and hit him his eye, which he further related how it could not be saved by the doctors.

More pertinently, a woman lost her finger when her ring caught on a shelf and she…I forget, maybe she fell. Wedding ring, I think. Her finger ripped off her hand. It was a retail store so unless you're stocking items on a shelf maybe losing a finger is even less likely, but I would never have thought of it happening even then. But it supposedly did, and the lady participated in a video to warn others of the possibility. Either that, or the company made it up to scare people, but I don't believe they'd risk their reputation.

Anyways, may all ring wearers fare well in wearing rings. But if not…on the bright side you've still got nine more opportunities, eh?

Oh yeah, rings are the leading cause of deglovings and contribute to messy amputations. But that's still a minority of ring-wearers. Just be smart and don't wear rings in industrial settings or around large birds (I'm interning at a zoo with the birds so that came up last week).

The black ring is pretty common. About a year ago, before I moved, I met a couple of asexuals. One who had a black ring and lost it, but there was one person that saw me wearing the black ring and she had one on herself. She showed me hers and pointed to mine. We high fived. We were both busy, so we couldn't talk, but it was a moment of awesomeness. I also refer to it when I come out as Ace, though I lost mine. Actually, if you want to know how many Aces here have a black ring, you could make a thread in Census with a poll and ask? Just make sure one's not already made first.

Ignore-this-account-thanks

I wear my ace ring everyday and I've been wearing mine for around a year now. I wear mine for personal reasons rather than as a signal to other asexuals. But it would be rad if I met a fellow ace through it. I've only ever had one person ask me if I was asexual because of my ring and this person wasn't asexual herself. She only knew of it because her girlfriend is an organiser for one of the pride events. Offline, I've two friends who are also asexual and neither of them wear ace rings or were even aware of the symbolism until I explained.

I got my ring about a week ago and think it is a great bit of sself pride a aware. I also saw someone wearing a balck ring on their right middle finger today but i was stuck in an informal work meeting at the time.

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

I know a guy who wears a black ring on his right middle finger. I'm planning on asking him when we go hiking in a month (since won't see him before then and didn't want to ask him infront of all his friends).

I don't wear an ace ring, as I have never worn rings before and think it would raise too many questions all of a sudden, and I'm not ready to come out. I think that if I do get one, it will be after I come out to those close to me or when I go away to university, probably the latter.

A great 'reason' for those who don't know you are ace and almost certainly won't understand the meaning, is that a ring makes an excellent fiddle toy, especially in lectures. I wouldn't be without mine now, even if it wasn't a part of my identity because I am so much less stressed fiddling with it. Just a thought