• Green
    • Marxist
    • Liberal
    • Other
    • Prefer not to say
    • Not a feminist.

This poll is closed to new votes

Are you a feminist? If so, what kind?

I voted yes and "prefer not to say" just because I do not know the differences between the types of feminism (green? :huh: )

However, I wonder how can people be anti-feminists.

Lost247365

Surprised you didn't include 2nd and 3rd wave on the types of feminism.

Rising Sun

Yes, but I don't follow any particular philosophy. I'm not an activist, I just wish full equality between genders and I'm ready to explain my arguments if necessary, but that's all.

Autumn Season

Maybe an explanation about the stripes would be good. :)

Toby The Casual Prince

I'm a feminist. If I had to describe what kind queer feminist is the closest. But intersectional and others would work as well

Wki has a good and brief explanation of the different kinds of feminism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_movements_and_ideologies#Liberal

I suppose green feminim here is the same as eco feminism? I guess I'm closest to new age feminism but I find aspects of other more recent kinds of feminism of interest as well.

butterflydreams

I'm an egalitarian. Modern feminism has gone completely off the rails in my opinion. Too many blatant logical inconsistencies.

Generally speaking, I have nothing against feminists individually, but as a movement, I feel it's way too toxic.

Qualifier though, I live in the west, so that shapes my perception pretty heavily I think :)

Skycaptain

As a "male ", I am not a feminist, however I do believe in total gender equality, not just for the binary, but everyone.

The only form of feminism I support is the egalitarian varient. I am one myself.

Yes, I am a feminist. I believe that men and women are equal. No more, no less. Because of my hatred of the social class system, I am a Marxist Feminist.

Amoeba-Proteus

I believe in equality for everyone. But I wouldn't call myself feminist.

Not trying to be offensive here: but what I hear of different kinds of feminism strikes me as almost trying to create a problem. For example, I recently read about eco-feminism because it was included in an environmental governance and policy course I'm taking as part of my major. "... seeks to expose the link between environmental degradation and the oppression of women". Those are two toootally different issues. "... western economies, which are based around the exploitation of women...", "... women are closer to nature than men, and that should be recognized and celebrated...". Excuse me...? Economy based on the exploitation of women? Closer to na- we're on the same damn planet!

I don't look to put myself and my views into a category, I just call them "my views", so I don't have a vast knowledge of different types of feminism. But if they all sound similar to that, that's a concerning movement we have there...

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, and I'm not trying to attack anyone who has these views.

You rock, CBC!

allrightalready

yes absolutely ever since i threw of the shackles of my parents religion

i am a radical though i rarely use the term radical feminist for me because many who do are trans exclusionary

green/marxist/intersectional (and i forgot to check of anarcho because somehow my eyes missed it the first time)

and i cannot see how you can be anarcho without being the other 3

I think it depends a lot on how you are defining feminism. If we are defining it as believing that people should be treated equally well regardless of their gender and/or that women should be treated with the same respect as men, then yes, of course I am a feminist. Using this definition, you would kind of have to be a jerk not to be a feminist. We may disagree on how to make things equal or what constitutes equality, but everyone should be able to agree that women are no less human than men.

However, so many people that I know use feminism to attack men, as if the only way to make things equal is to tear men down. If someone is using feminism in that way, than that is a movement I cannot get behind. The solution lies is respecting everyone, not attacking others for the priveldge they have no control over.

I did not vote in the poll because I do not know what the different kinds of feminism are, but hopefully if anyone cares my opinion is clear from this post anyway.

fish of hearts

Yes, I'm definitely a feminist. Patriarchy hurts everyone and shames and destroys anything that might be deemed "feminine." I don't feel like calls for equality or the lip sevice of a few laws rewritten are enough to deal with the systematic oppression of anything and anyone un-masculine.

I'm also an intersectional feminist, as people of color and other nonprivileged members of patriarchal society often face different problems and levels of complexity in trying to address and solve those problems, and blanket reforms benefiting white upperclass women do little to challenge the status quo.

I'm a feminist and I've just realized there was an 'intersectional' feminist box which I missed and didn't tick, darn it...I would definitely say I'm intersectional. I believe that patriarchy and indeed any kind of 'archy' just hurts everyone all round, and the world would be so much better if everyone just stopped picking on each other and treated everyone with the same respect. :D

allrightalready

I'm a feminist and I've just realized there was an 'intersectional' feminist box which I missed and didn't tick, darn it...I would definitely say I'm intersectional. I believe that patriarchy and indeed any kind of 'archy' just hurts everyone all round, and the world would be so much better if everyone just stopped picking on each other and treated everyone with the same respect. :D

the word for "any kind of archy" is kyriarchy

givememyname

Intersectional feminist, here. I wish to see someday a world in which women won't be opressed anymore.

Oh and people seems to be confused with the definition of feminism? It's quite simple, it's the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.

kiaroskuro

As long as (people who are perceived as) females aren't treated like human beings everywhere on this planet, I will be a feminist. That is, probably until the day that I die.

As a genderqueer person I don't fully identify with the feminist movement because 'womanhood' is an alien concept to me, but that's another story ...

Grumpy Alien

I had no idea how to answer the second question. No clue.

inactive12345

I consider myself to be of the "just respect everybody" brand of feminism, but I googled the liberal and intersectional stripes and think those are also pretty accurate.

scarletlatitude

I put them into spoilers because they are so big, but please do open them.

enhanced-16342-1412094379-19.jpg

enhanced-25882-1412086921-2.jpg

GoosePeelings

I wouldn't call myself a feminist, though I support equal rights.

AprilStorms

A lot of people think feminism is a scary word, but the widest accepted definition (at least here) seems to be someone who wants people to be treated fairly, regardless of gender. And I can definitely get behind that!

My philosophy on, for instance, employment, is that a person should be hired based on whether or not they can do the job. No more, no less. And definitely not based on petty prejudices like color/gender/what's in their pants/what God(s) - if any - they worship/whatever other details people want to throw fits over. I believe that a human being who has thoughts and feelings, should be treated with a certain degree of respect with no exceptions. That seems to closely align with feminism, so here we are. This appears to be a pretty radical idea, so I clicked that.

Since this also applies heavily to LGBTQ folks, I chose intersectional too.

I also recognize that the ecosystem is verging on crisis mode, so green was my other choice.

Definitely a feminist here. By no means do I fall within the "some feminists also have views I disagree with (misandry, racism, transphobia, whatever), so I can't be a feminist" camp. I just think my feminist philosophy is better than those people's. Nor am I an "equalist," because I acknowledge my philosophy's roots in earlier movements and the benefits those movements have brought to all reaches of society, and more importantly, because I just can't stand behind Amon and his movement's attacks on Republic City.

I'm curious about the logic of those who call themselves "feminist allies." Feminism is a philosophy, not an identity term like race or sexuality, so wouldn't an ally be by definition another feminist themselves? Perhaps these are feminist men who think they can't use the word "feminist" to describe themselves?

Flyaway4me

Feminism: The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.

All sexes and genders, trans inclusive. Equality. I see nothing wrong here :P

• 3 weeks later...
javaPhysician

Erm...I didn't know what Intersectional feminism was until I saw how many we had here.

Looking it up, I identify with the area as well! ^_^

As long as (people who are perceived as) females aren't treated like human beings everywhere on this planet, I will be a feminist. That is, probably until the day that I die.

:cake: :cake: :cake:

Archived