What do you think about love songs?

A Place With A Tree

A Place With A Tree

I have been gone for a while because schools been quite busy. You know, last minute grade raising and all that. I was inspired to ask this because of the eurovision song contest and all the ballads in it. So what do you think about love songs? Do you like them or do you hate them? Or do you just ingnore the lyrics and enjoy the instruments instead? Im a bit curious about this.

My opinion depends. Some of them i hate, some of them are actually quite nice and some of them are kinda in the middle. Like Italy and Albania (was it Albania? Im not sure..) had these crazy love song things that were pretty much: "I love you more than anything, you are my whole world and i live because you live. Youre my one true love.." and so on. My thoughts were: "These people are codependet enough to be insane" and "Isnt there some sort of mental illness that causes these type of syndroms?". So i want to know if this is some sort of aromantic thing or is it just my personality.

And the love songs i like.. Not sure if can call them love songs because they are about break ups.. So anyway, for example this one Finnish song is good. Its called "Sinä ansaitset kultaa" translates into something like "You deserve the best" or literally "You derserve gold". Anyway the singer Jari Sillanpää sings about letting his lover go, about the lover having someone better and deserving someone that makes them happy because he is a shit lover and so on.. Thought it was touching because its though to let someone you care about in any way go even if its best for them.

So i want to know your opinions about love songs, and maybe you could tell some that you really really love, or absolutely loathe. Just a bit curious after all. ;)

:cake::cake::cake::cake: CAKE FOR EVERYONE THAT ANSWERS! :cake::cake::cake::cake:

The Pofessional

I live in Canada so I know nothing about Eurovision except it's apparently full of fantastic outfits.

I think love songs are powerful. When the singer is the writer, you get to see them open up about their feelings. Even if it's not a very good love song, there's still a lot of emotion and candidness there. And it might not even be romantic love. There's also sensual, intellectual, emotional, familial, and platonic love to consider.

MMm bit of an oversimplification of my thoughts on the matter, but eh.

I'm something like aromantic, by the way.

Elluna Hellen

Some love songs, I really like.
Others might be too sappy for me, in which case I might still like the tune and then proceed to mentally criticise and laugh at the lyrics every time I hear it.

Like you said, it depends on the song.

I really enjoy the song "The Winner Takes it All" by ABBA, it such a sad song about the reality of losing love.

Or "At Seventeen" by Janis Ian.

I also enjoy a few by Queen.

And Xanadu is on of my favorite sountracks.

In general I love intrumentals. I am not one of those people that picks up lyrics easily.

Although honestly I think love songs, and other songs, are all up to the person interpreting them.

I had a conversation with a friend about a certain song, and she pointed out that it was about sex, which I completely missed that context.

For the most part I think they are okay, but I think I prefer love songs that focus on the negative side of love.

Hmm, I wonder what that says about me. Lol

If I may make a half-joking reply...

I especially am reminded of this on Valentine's Day.

It really depends on the song. I prefer songs that aren't about love, but as long as the music in itself is good and the lyrics isn't too lovey dovey I'm OK with it.

But I think it's something I've grown into. When I was a kid I rarely listened to music and when I did it had nothing to do with love. I guess I've realized that you can't relate to everything and that if something sounds good you should just enjoy it :)

A Place With A Tree

Nice to hear orhers opinions! I like the more negative love songs too. Its really intresting to hear what other think, and i quess it depends entirely on the song, your mood and so on. After all There are some romantic people that hate love songs too. I dont think anybody really loves those over sugary songs but there is nice ones as well.

Anyway, cake for averyone that answered and all the others that might answer after this, if theres none thats fine too. :cake::cake::cake::cake:

I love them. ^_^
Tho it depends a lot on my mood and the song.

If it is purely sexual then I'm like "ew" most of the time.

I tend to need to 'feel' the lyrics.

On the topic of ESC then I think there was some really good ones.

I really love this one:

On the reversed side I really loved this one:

TheKindredSoul

I do not like love songs at all. I am not into romance, so I am unable to relate to the lyrics. They also tend to say the same cliche thing you hear everywhere. However, if the song has a good melody, I completely ignore the lyrics and listen purely to the composition of the piece.

Scottthespy

I find a lot of supposed love songs have some very disturbing lyrics burried in them. Like "if you change your mind, you better change it back or we will both be sorry" in Don't You Want Me Baby, or "say whats in this drink?" in Baby Its Cold Outside.

I usually listen to pop music and it kind of bothers me that the majority of pop songs are about love. I don't hate them, but I prefer lyrics about something I can relate to (anything but love). It's difficult for me to find love songs that povoke some kind of emotion in me. Most of them feel 'empty'.

Though I listen to a lot of love songs, I only like them because of the melody or because of how they are written (which is the case of one of my favorites songs: "Enchanted" by Taylor Swift).

Also, there is one I hate: "Can't live" by Air Supply. I don't like how dependant the author of this song is, that when his lover leaves him he says he can't live anymore.

Elluna Hellen

Also, there is one I hate: "Can't live" by Air Supply. I don't like how dependant the author of this song is, that when his lover leaves him he says he can't live anymore.

And these are the kinds of lyrics I laugh at.

Also, that Backstreet boys song, "as long as you love me"

JUST... NO! xD

Depend on the song. I usunally don't put much focus on the lyrics and just focus on the rythm and the feelings it gives. so if a song gives a kind of loving feeling I think about that. like for idears to a story and so, and if I listen to more depressing songs I get ideas for depressing scenes for my stories.

Lyrics arn't that important and half of the time I listen to songs in forregian languarge where I dont understand it anyway, so in that way it does not really matter if it a love song or not.

However I do dislike the lyrics if they are all like: "baby.. oh yeah... be my baby.. I love you you love me, baby.. bam bam bam"

That is just too cliché. Eurovision also tend to have those rather bad lyrics often, but at least they they tend to have a cool outfit or sceneplay to make up for it.

In general I don't like them. But some are good. "Somebody to love" by Queen is one of my favorite songs. My Spanish class in high school had us listen to "Como un lobo" by Miguel Bose, and that was pretty catchy.

Anthracite_Impreza

I listen to mostly dubstep and other EDM which is generally instrumental, so that solves the problem ;) In general though I don't mind love songs if they're sweet/deep, because I can still relate to feeling deep love in a familial/platonic way, but songs actually about "the act" or unhealthy relationships (blurred lines and rape culture much?) I don't like. Saying that I'm a sucker for bass so if it's got a good beat I'll probably listen to it anyway :P

EmotionalAndroid

I don't mind love songs at all, as long as they are not explicit. In truth, I cannot always relate to love songs, but I often like the sentiments nonetheless. There are some songs that I really do not understand, though, like ones that talk about "I cannot live without you" and things like that. You've lived most of your life without this person, why would that change? So illogical.

Other times, I don't even care about the lyrics, and it is the song itself that I like.

Dodecahedron314

Some of them are actually really good, and can be interpreted to not be about romantic love at all--or maybe I just have a hopelessly abstract mind that is good at interpreting things really strangely. (I mean, you're talking to the person who managed to interpret some love songs as being about trying to get into specific colleges last year...college application season was stressful, okay?) If I don't like the lyrics of a song, if it's good enough musically I can usually put up with it, because I'm a music geek like that. Maybe it's a sort of thing of the general emotional quality of the song rather than the specifics of "this is a song about how I feel about this person". Again, abstraction. Heck, some songs can actually even make me wonder if I'm grayro rather than just aro because I get so into them. (I'm pretty sure I"m not, though, because the only time I ever feel like that could be a possibility is when I'm listening to really good music.)

I do agree though, there are way too many love songs out there where I have to wonder why this whole romance thing is even considered by people to be positive. Even just leaving aside the breakup songs that are everywhere, even just the normal love songs where it's just like "I can't live without you, I can't breathe when I'm around you, I don't know what I'd do without you, etc." makes it sound a lot more like an unhealthy obsession bordering on some sort of mild mental disorder* than anything that could have a positive effect on someone's life. (*I have depression and some sort of undiagnosed anxiety disorder so I'm not trying to invoke a stigma here or anything)

I'm a big fan of any song that features beautiful lyrics that have evidently been written from the heart, about a subject that the artist is genuinely passionate about. I can't say I'm keen on the majority of love songs, simply because a lot of them seem to be written for the sake of writing, but there's also a fair amount of songs that were clearly born from the artist's overwhelming love of someone or something. I've always believed that the best love songs are those that are written for somebody, not necessarily about somebody. :)

GoosePeelings

It depends on what the song is like apart from the lyrics, though listening to them make me feel like a masochist.

When listening to music, I rarely try to parse the lyrics (usually because it has bad consequences). Though, the stereotypical love songs are usually slow and dull in my mind. Which is great if I am trying to get some sleep! But, usually I need my music to give me energy to go do things, so I prefer more faster paced music.

The actual content of the lyrics of a song are not really important to me. The vocals are just another instrument being played, the words don't really matter.

Beyourownspotlight

Erm it depends.

I'm not the type of person who really understands two people becoming so codendant on eacn other that they literally become each others worlds. That being said, I can understand wanting someone important to you to experience what you believe they deserve, or to have what you believe that they deserve.

I guess a lot of love songs are a little scary because they are like 'nothing is more important than falling in love'. And while that is an amazing thing, I don't like the idea that as people we are incomplete until we meet and fall in love with our 'other half'.

I do like the tune of a lot of songs though, even if I disagree with the lyrics. I wouldn't say that I dislike love songs tho.

Hoping not to sound too cliché...

I used to think most of them were, well... sappy? But then one day they started making sense. You might guess what happened to me that day. ;)

Please don't hold this against me. I can be tougher than this! Really! Give me a chance!

Elluna Hellen

Hoping not to sound too cliché...

I used to think most of them were, well... sappy? But then one day they started making sense. You might guess what happened to me that day. ;)

Please don't hold this against me. I can be tougher than this! Really! Give me a chance!

yup, horribly cliché. :P

Conscientious Ghost

Love songs can powerful and thought-provoking. Love songs can also be overdone and dull.

I'm a fan of hearing instrumentals than vocal though, so I would most likely overlook a love song with beautiful lyrics if the instruments don't harmonize together.

Lynterrzle

In pop music, love songs don't really grab me, and that includes break up songs and the like. Switch over to Broadway though, and it's a completely different tune. Maybe it's because there's plot, story and characters to enhance the music. Even the sappy stuff that I don't really believe in like Younger than Springtime from South Pacific have great soaring melodies that really resonate with me. Then something like Being Alive from Company will really pull on my heartstrings.

Then again, I enjoy stage music more in general, so it could just be that.

Dodecahedron314

I wish there were more songs about QPRs...

If you're accustomed to mental gymnastics of interpretation kind of like analyzing poetry, it's possible to read some love songs as being about QPRs instead of romantic relationships. However, a lot of them just plain don't work that way, especially newer ones. I know somewhere in my Internet ramblings I've come across a playlist or two of QP-sounding songs, but I haven't a clue where they would be--maybe check the aro and ace tags on Tumblr and/or 8tracks.

EDIT: I think this is what I was thinking of. Like I said, the aro tags on Tumblr might have stuff, but most of it probably links back to 8tracks anyway, so I'd say just going straight to 8tracks and poking around in the aro tag will most likely be your best bet.

EDIT2: Here's another one that's actually still active, the last one I linked hasn't posted anything for a while.

Mostly I listen to music for its rhythmic, harmonic, melodic, compositional and instrumental elements, lyric if often the lowest point on my radar. However I really appreciate a well crafted lyric when I notice it, even if it is romantic or if I don't get it. The annoying romantic, love or sex lyrics that I remember, often belong to songs that are of mediocre or poor musical quality, there is not enough to hold my attention musically, it is music that one does not listen to but unfortunately hears.

belovedless

I've always considered love songs to be a bit cliche. I can appreciate them if they express the feeling in a new way, such as in Purity Ring's song "Heartsigh," in which she writes, "Whisk away your heartsigh and bury it in mine."

Basically, if the lyrics are original, I won't mind the love song. If it nears the typical, I'll probably turn it off. This is probably why I listen to so much foreign music and music with indiscernible vocals.

Archived