Is Rent A Friend safe?

98slbrookes98

98slbrookes98

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not able to copy and paste urls here but I came across a website called Rent A Friend where you can sign up as a member and then pay someone to offer strictly platonic friendship/companionship for an hour or so. I'm not planning to use it just yet but maybe in a few years time? The problem is that my friends live too far away for me to see them face to face so I'm only in touch via Facebook - there was a guy I saw at school and chatted to occasionally in the school sixth form but now we are only in touch via email and Facebook, there was a girl I had lunch with at university for three years but we drifted apart after leaving university. Once one of my friends planned a reunion party which I looked forward to but it rained that day so it got cancelled and long ago I used to ring my friends on their mobiles but stopped because it increased our phone bill.

While I am content with Second Life and other internet friendships for the moment, with my dad having turned 60 last November I feel like I'd like to meet up with someone to play a board game, play a sport/instrument or have lunch (preferably without strings attached as lots of close friends tie up your life) so of course Rent a Friend is a very appealing option but obviously I'd need to know that it wasn't a scam and that it was safe.

Any thoughts.

Note: I know you can get a hobby and I'd like to once I can afford to but the problem is you are unlikely to see those people outside of the place you do the hobby in unless they happen to live near enough. Back at Primary School I had friends within walking distance and we went to each other's houses. It's sadly impossible now.

The Pofessional

Looks legit from a 5-minute Google search. Maybe play it the Kijiji/Craigslist route. Meet somewhere very open and public - never at your home, or somewhere secluded, and don't exchange your home phone number or address.

Give your gut the credit it's due - you get a bad vibe, skedaddle.

98slbrookes98

Thanks for the advice.

The Pofessional

Thanks for the advice.

Hey no problem mang, just keep yourself safe ok?

Never heard of it. But, yeah, meet anyone like that in a public area. And let someone know (family, friend) where you are and who you are with. Better safe than sorry. :)

You could also look into if there are any cuddleries around you. They're businesses that you can rent a platonic cuddle buddy, but they often will just talk with you instead too. And it's more a business than a meet anyone website, so a bit more secure.

Also, noticed your location, there is a meetup group for aces that is fairly large in that area. You could try going sometime and connecting with locals there.

98slbrookes98

Thanks - maybe the cuddleries might be better if there are any.

Archived