A list of romantic orientations

Star, the reason for my original post in this topic was just an "Oh, there's all these different ways that I might be weird, guess I have a lot of sorting to do yet." (Also, the list is bigger, I only counted the ones that had potential to apply to me specifically.)

Yes, but most of what's on this list has no practical use.

Abroromantic/sexual is a normal biromantic/sexual, Acoromantic is an aromantic if they're not just going through a dry spell/therapy isn't helping, Adfecturomantic is still a romantic or aromantic or Gray-romantic (they're not specific in its definition so it has a wide applicable range), Apothiromantic is still just an aromantic; no need to make repulsion a specific orientation, Apresromantic is still just a romantic, Arovague is just either someone uncertain about their orientation (which isn't an orientation itself) or they go through aro/romantic moods, which is normal for alloromantics (though if it's at an unusual rate it can be the same as Burstromantic or Gray-romantic). Autochrois/anegoromantic is just an aromantic who enjoys the concept of romance, which again is not a different orientation (the same goes for its sexual equivalent; which is normal for both sexuals and aces). Someone being Bellusromantic is just a romantic who wants uncommitted relationships; still just an alloromantic. Borearomantic is still just an alloromantic. Caedromantic is just an aromantic. Idemromantic is the same as cupioromantic; no need to have two or more terms for the same thing. Nebularomantic is just Quoiromantic. Nobiromantic is just uncertain. Post rubor is Frayromantic. Proquuromantic is still just into masculine people i.e. bi/pan. Quasiromantic is still just a romantic. Quoiromantic is not on the “aro spectrum”, it means they cannot tell what they feel, which is a completely different thing. Schromantic has been discussed on AVEN before and people find its prefix both insulting and the concept of it was disproved (I forget what it ended up being once it was explained more, but it ended up being normal or already having a term). Ceteroromantic is just a biromantic; you can’t tell someones gender by looking at them nor are you suddenly attracted to them once you hear they identify as non-binary. If someones attracted to non-conforming men/women then they're still just gay/straight/bi but have a type, which is completely normal as most people have a type. Nonamory is just an aromantic or Gray-aromantic (if they do get crushes).

All these labels come from tumblr; which is both hated and has a "tumblrize your sexuality" vid for a reason. (or in this case 'tumblrize your romanticism') And there are even tumblrites commenting in support of "homo-textual" and "homo-casual" on that vid. That's how bad it really is; they didn't create the vid out of exaggerations.

• Like 1

Looking through these definitions makes me realize that I can come off as Biromantic but it's really just my way of showing appreciation or support at times. I'm not sure if I'm Panromantic or Biromantic since I've always been okay with the idea of falling in love with love. I think it also helped me from questioning if I'm really Grayromantic since I do feel uncomfortable when I actually feel like I'm in love. Romance has always been a confusing and complicated thing for me since I always try to look for reasons of why I would be in love when it happens.

The vocabulary I've mostly felt confused with understanding is Lush and Schromantic.

I wonder if there's any examples or anyone who can elaborate what it is?

This topic has been very helpful in understanding myself a little more!

As said in my previous comment, schromantic has been covered on AVEN before and eventhough i can't recall what it's supposed to mean, it was discussed in a thread that ended up disporving it; in either that it was normal or had a term for it already or something. Sensual attraction is desiring physical contact with someone specific. An example would be how many people feel about their pets and get the urge to just hug them and whatnot. But this word can apply to platonic, romantic, or sexual physical displays so its not the clearest term. Obviously QPRs that have sensual attraction have platonic physical contact in them otherwise it's not a QPR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/7/2015 at 8:43 PM, Viridzen said:

"Placioromantic" is, I guess, about the action of romance, whereas lith is about the desire or attraction. But the terms are so similar, I wouldn't go out of my way to differentiate if I were that way.

I'd say lithromantics are more content to like people from afar? I identify as lithro, and for me, my attraction mostly goes away if I get into a relationship with someone (and I don't want to perform romantic acts with them in real life before that happens, though I do fantasise about doing that stuff. Maybe other lithros are different, but not any of the ones I've come across online so far). So I personally would differentiate between those terms.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 1:35 PM, UndeadWeapon said:

I'd say lithromantics are more content to like people from afar? I identify as lithro, and for me, my attraction mostly goes away if I get into a relationship with someone (and I don't want to perform romantic acts with them in real life before that happens, though I do fantasise about doing that stuff. Maybe other lithros are different, but not any of the ones I've come across online so far). So I personally would differentiate between those terms.

I feel the same way!

"Biromantic - Is someone who enjoys behavior typically associated with dating and love, like cuddling, hugging, gift-giving, love notes, but probably not kissing, etc. and enjoys it with two sexes or genders. "

Shouldn't it be two or more genders tho? :o

And what's that stuff about "probably not kissing" etc... why is it there for biromantic, but not for the other well-known orientations like hetero- and homoromantic?

• Like 1
On 1/16/2017 at 0:54 AM, sindi said:

"Biromantic - Is someone who enjoys behavior typically associated with dating and love, like cuddling, hugging, gift-giving, love notes, but probably not kissing, etc. and enjoys it with two sexes or genders. "

Shouldn't it be two or more genders tho? :o

And what's that stuff about "probably not kissing" etc... why is it there for biromantic, but not for the other well-known orientations like hetero- and homoromantic?

Varies. Some do define it that way, while others use the separate term "polyromantic." As for the "probably not kissing" part... Iunno, that does seem out of place. Not necessarily kissing, sure, but kissing is well within the confines of romance.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bezzy-Loo said:

Varies. Some do define it that way, while others use the separate term "polyromantic." As for the "probably not kissing" part... Iunno, that does seem out of place. Not necessarily kissing, sure, but kissing is well within the confines of romance.

The reason why I don't like "polyromantic" is, that for one, most people don't know what it is, and secondly, many people might confuse it with "polyamorous".

• Like 1

"Polyromantic" does come across as a little odd, but... most people don't know what "asexual" is and frequently confuse it with the biological term, hence the encouraged spread of its use and awareness of it. ^^ 

Not saying anyone has to take and/or promote any label, just mentioning it; as I similarly mentioned that "polyromantic" is an alternative that exists to making "biromantic" a misnomer. What you actually use is, of course, up to you. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Cats_and_Cake

I apply with a few of those but I have no idea which, idk I just sometimes identify as aromantic, sometimes as biromantic, but at the moment I'm not interested in any romantic relationships or have any urge or desire to have one. It might change in the future but if it doesn't ,oh well, I don't care :)

Cats_and_Cake

It's like, how do you even know if you feel romantic attraction? Finding out that I don't feel sexual attraction was easy due to the over sexualization we have in our society. But what about romantic attraction?

TheMartianGeek

I realized the other day that gray seems to fit me better than demi does.  I've had plenty of female companions, but I've really only ever had "that feeling" with one of them.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Cats_and_Cake said:

I apply with a few of those but I have no idea which, idk I just sometimes identify as aromantic, sometimes as biromantic, but at the moment I'm not interested in any romantic relationships or have any urge or desire to have one. It might change in the future but if it doesn't ,oh well, I don't care :)

If you're one you're not the other. By saying you sometimes feel aro and sometimes bi, do you mean you want a relationship with either gender/are crushing on someone, and at other times don't wanna be in a relationship (perhaps without an active crush)? Please elaborate.

Romantic attraction - an emotion; so it doesn't translate well into words, but it can be inadequately put as soft/warm/fuzzy feelings with some degree of fixation (at least in comparison to one's normality with others). This is the base requirement, but some people also have a physical reaction to the feeling and others don’t (i.e. butterflies in their stomach, heart rate increase, blushing, etc. [though those can also be symptoms of platonic nervousness]). Others may react mentally with a dreamy mindset, anxious euphoria, infatuation, romantic fantasies, etc. And others may feel it light enough (compared to the norm) that there is no clear line between crushes and wanting emotional closeness.

• Like 2
On 4/13/2017 at 10:18 AM, TheMartianGeek said:

I realized the other day that gray seems to fit me better than demi does.  I've had plenty of female companions, but I've really only ever had "that feeling" with one of them.

Having "that feeling" is irrelevant. Did you desire sex with them for sexual or emotional pleasure? --Or are you talking romantically?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of a term for celibate, but for romance? Like, I've experienced romantic attraction, but have no interest, but not due to trauma or past relationships or what-not. Thanks!

• Like 1
On 4/26/2017 at 9:06 AM, Purrtrand said:

Has anyone heard of a term for celibate, but for romance? Like, I've experienced romantic attraction, but have no interest, but not due to trauma or past relationships or what-not. Thanks!

"Single by choice" is typical.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Light_Sunstone23

No wonder I discovered my romantic attraction to women when I was 21. I'm not a late bloomer, I'm just me. I'm also on the autistic spectrum.

I feel like it shifted to include nonbinary people as well. I think that part came from self-acceptance and fully realizing that gender and sex are the same thing. I feel like it opened my heart. I'm happier because of it.

I kind of like the term enbian (a nonbinary person who is only attracted to other nonbinary people). I feel like the term still has yet to fully catch on. I don't know my orientation confuses the living daylights out of me. I love women, but 90% of the time I really prefer someone who is also nonbinary.

Before then I was 1000% aromantic. I think I'm somewhere on the spectrum. Romance is cute and all, but it makes me feel *very* uncomfortable. Ah, I don't know. Humans are weird.

• Like 1
SamwiseLovesLife

I love.. lamp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd just like to add that I've heard a term called icularomantic, which is an aromantic person who is open to having a romantic relationship. I'm not sure if this is at all necessary to this forum, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

• Like 1

This is definitely over complicated for someone who barely understands LGBT+, so no. Although, it is useful for some people who already are in the asexual community and are active on it. As for myself, i will just say I don't really know my sexuality or romantic attraction to be that specific, I don't know myself that well. :huh:

• 1 month later...

I feel asexual and Noviromantic, but I have too many labels myself. I’m pan, Demi, blah blah blaaahhhh so yeah.

i can never figure myself out!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, this really helped me come to terms with being quoiromantic. I feel so strongly for my friends that its hard to tell if I have romantic attraction to them, and most of the time when I enter a relationship, I end up realizing later that it wasn't romantic attraction, but platonic.

This is very helpful. I was wondering if there were words for some of these [apresromantic, cupioromantic] and I'm glad that there are, even if I'll probably never use them.

great work. gives an intro. to so many unknown orientations. perhaps, we fit into one of those romantic types or something else? am i right?

Amy Ghost, hats off!

• 3 weeks later...

This is very helpful! 

Is it possible to have a squish on someone (the person identifies as asexual) when I identify as sexual though?

8 minutes ago, purple_rose said:

This is very helpful! 

Is it possible to have a squish on someone (the person identifies as asexual) when I identify as sexual though?

Yes.

On 05/10/2016 at 0:42 AM, Ariel Franz said:

Have you consulted transgender asexuals to know what they think about the term "transromantic"?
At least here in Brazil,trans aces do not approve of the term.
Validating this term implies that they are not real men and real women. One's atraction is du
e to the other person's gender, not wether they are cis or trans
Trans people ARE men or women, and they only happen to be trans, but first of all they are men or women.

I agree

"transromantic" sounds like a very festishy term :/ 

• Like 1