Shrek is the only time I was interested in romance

Waist of Thyme

Waist of Thyme

I was re-watching Shrek 4 today, and had a thought.

I've never been interested in romance. Not in reality, and not in fiction. Except when watching Shrek. idk what it is, I just thought that aspect of the movies was well done, and the music choices definitely fit the scenes they were used in. I know there are a lot of jokes and memes about Shrek lately, but it's the only romantic situation I had mentally invested anything in. I was legitimately interested in Shrek and Fiona's relationship, the hardships they had to overcome, and how they interacted with each other in general.

(A)rrogant Avian

Still a better love story than Twilight.

Sorry, I just had to....

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

I used to watch Shrek until I got to high school & someone (naming no names) explained every single innuendo that was in every movie. It kinda ruined Shrek for me. (-_-). People can be so cruel.

EmpathyAce

Well, what can I say? Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

I had to.

*shot*

.diva plavalaguna.

I kinda wanted Prince Charming to get a happy ending, lmao. But I wouldn't say I was very interested in Shrek and Fiona's relationship, just I really didn't mind it. It's one of the few movies where the romance doesn't bother me. Plus there was so much other hilarious stuff going on it was kinda easy to forget about, lol.

I'm not romance repulsed so the relationship between Fiona & Shrek doesn't bother me. The fact that thier relationship is NOT built on mere romance alone already positions them high up above most fictional romantic couples, in my book. And also what thier relationships comes to represent.

Acepting people for who they are inside, even though Shrek is an Ogre Fiona still fell in love with him...

Fiona sacrafices her human beauty to be an Ogress so she can be with Shrek...

Shrek overcame his lifelong intoversion after falling for Fiona...

Shrek might be one of the deepest kid's movies out there dealing with the concepts of acceptance, love, discrimination, etc. Come to think about it I like Shrek the Musical (Not the original film) better than any disney movie, even Frozen. Shrek the Musical had a strong story arc, great character depth, and almost all the songs that had exstreemly deep meanings particularly "Big bright beautiful world", "I know it's today", "Freak flag", & "Who I'd be". After watching the musical the first few times I realized how everything ties together so well by the end of the story.

I know I got a bit off topic, sorry.

I never got a chance to see any of the others besides the original. I might need to fix this.

Star Inkbright

I did feel averse to the romance in Shrek. I think it was mostly the reference to 'true love.' I absolutely hate that concept.

But yes, in general, Shrek was a rather good movie as far as underlying messages goes.

I haven't seen any Shrek movies besides the first (I also will fix this when I can) but I was thinking of this concept, too. I'm not romance-repulsed, I'm rainbows!-and-unicorns!-and-babies!!! romance repulsed.

Putting this idea into another fandom:

JANE AUSTEN SPOILERS ABOUND. Proceed with caution.

I am a BIG FANGIRL of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I got the A&E miniseries on VHS almost as soon as it came out. I can't get enough of it. So I figured, maybe I'll read some others of Jane Austen's works, that'd be cool. So I read Persuasion, which I've read all over the place, even on Austen forums, is "better written" than P&P.

And I came to a personal opinion. I enjoyed P&P a lot more then Persuasion because to me, as a militant aro, the latter just isn't realistic.

The events in P&P all happen in succession and the two main characters, like in Shrek, have a lot of learning to do about one another before the end of the novel. Not one of the events made me go, "That can't happen. That just doesn't happen!" The defining moment is when Lydia blurts out the wrong thing at the right time...but that really isn't impossible because well...some people are just like Lydia. ^_^

In Persuasion, I'd expect the main characters to move on after the initial turndown, and as the cosmic Persuasion world would have it, they can't stop thinking about one another years after the breakup. Then after many chapters of absolutely beautiful prose, yay, happy ending. The defining moment in Persuasion is Wentworth finally letting loose his tortured soul, slapping it down and letting it sit there for Ann to read. While this was absolutely exquisitely done, my head kept getting in the way of my heart in truly enjoying the story.

I'm not saying that allos can't be celibate like that, but the possibility in that time period of two people being so fixated on one another as to risk spinsterdom and family embarassment and poverty is just....not something I can wrap my head around.

Archived