Am I being offensive?

Sutaomiiru

Sutaomiiru

I will try to explain this as good as I can. As you can see below my avatar to the left, I have chosen to identify myself as a neutrois. This is not due to me being genderfluid. I do have a lot of "feminine traits", if there are such things, but I would probably never be mistaken for anything else than a CIS male. The reason that I identify myself as a neutrois is purely political, as I oppose the entire concept of feminine and masculine traits, thus I have decided not to identify as a male.

My concern is that I am afraid that this political use of a gender identity could be considered offensive by those whom have more legit reasons to consider themselves agender, non-gender, or neutrois. I have no intention to misuse others' identities to make my own point if they find it offensive. What do you agenders say about this? And are there any others doing the same thing as me?

There is gender-nonconformist.

What Star Bit said.

There is nothing wrong with identifying outside of the binary for political reasons. The issue is using the same word for your identity as people who actually have no internal gender, who need that word to describe their (very minority, and apolitical) experience.

Neutrois does not mean "default outside of gender," hence something that someone of any internal gender can use to make a political statement. It describes a specific gender-minority experience (like bisexual and asexual both describe real minority sexual orientation experiences, and aren't a "default" that straight and gay people can identify as, to express a political objection to sexual orientation as a concept).

Sutaomiiru

Thanks both of you. I will start using non-conformist for now on, since applying that term to me would be an objective truth.

I like the new gender field you've got going there. Non-conformist it is; I think that says everything you want it to without the potential for insult :D

Uh... Neutrois is often differentiated from agender somewhat; most of the 'Neutrois' accounts I know of are 'Agender with body dysmorphia, targeting an androgynous body configuration'.

However, it's a bit moot since the OP is not in fact agender or neutrois, and has decided on a different label for that reason.

Sutaomiiru

Well, I would be kind of happy getting rid of... everything down there, and become neutral. But I am not feeling that I will get depressed over not getting rid of it.

But no matter if I am agender/neutrois or not, non-conformist describes me perfectly anyway. It reflects my opinion about gender distinctions, and is also one way to be gender neutral.

There is gender-nonconformist.

I rather like gender-nonconformist. I get a headache (figuratively, anyway) reading through all the definitions and trying to find a perfect match (here's one that's close...then there's this one....but this one....). While the world sees me as female (or I assume it does), I've never felt I completely fit that "mold," if you know what I mean. However, if I identified as male, I'd be a very effeminate male. Alas, a dilemma....

Autumn Sunrise

I think I understand how you feel, Tortitude. The labels are somewhat confusing, and don't always seem to mean exactly the same thing to different people. I'm still trying to figure myself out; like you, I identify as female, but I'm feeling increasingly that this doesn't quite fit; however, I haven't found a label that feels right.

However, with the label "gender non-conformist", I feel that there is an element of choosing to so identify, rather than being so by nature, so maybe it's not quite what you're looking for ( . . . sorry!)

Well, I would be kind of happy getting rid of... everything down there, and become neutral. But I am not feeling that I will get depressed over not getting rid of it.

But no matter if I am agender/neutrois or not, non-conformist describes me perfectly anyway. It reflects my opinion about gender distinctions, and is also one way to be gender neutral.

That's interesting. I have thought about that before, I just didn't know what it was called. There are many many different categories for all these variations of gender identity and sexual attraction. It interests me, but it seems there always some term that's new to me that I haven't yet heard.

Sutaomiiru

I

That's interesting. I have thought about that before, I just didn't know what it was called. There are many many different categories for all these variations of gender identity and sexual attraction. It interests me, but it seems there always some term that's new to me that I haven't yet heard.

It is called "emasculation", but I do not know what you call a person whom wants to emasculate.

It is called "emasculation", but I do not know what you call a person whom wants to emasculate.

Gawker has an interview with a cisgender gay man who removed his external genitalia completely as a form of body modification ("nullification"). He refers to himself as a "nullo." It's a very interesting read, but be advised the language throughout is frank, and if you click on the pictures for the uncensored versions -- well, they are marked NSFW for a reason.

link: http://gawker.com/i-still-unload-this-man-is-a-nullo-who-removed-his-1645409616

littlepersonparadox

Gender non-conforming is actually used for both cis and trans people who feel there gender identity and /or presentation doesn't fit the societal norms about gender. Of course not everyone gender nonconforming person is trans* and not every trans* person ID's and non-conforming. Everyone has the right to ID as how they like. Gender labels are confusing little things. I know i'm certainly not cis - and stright up 1 gender doesn't describe me. Beyond that I have no clue. So i'm just using gender mutt for now. :)

Archived