What Do You Call The Day After Christmas?

LaMaestra

1. 1. What do you call the day after Christmas?

• Saint Stephen's Day
    • Boxing Day.
    • Just December 26
    • Something else entirely

This poll is closed to new votes

The day after Christmas (26 December) is known by 2 names (it is also my cat Mister's birthday!). Which one do you call it?

My own answer: Saint Stephen's Day which is how it is referred to in Ireland.

allrightalready

i have always called it December 26th, no name attatched

Thank you for that, Allrightalready. I have added it as an option.

St. Stephan's day, but mostly the second day of Christmas, in my country we have three days of Christmas, in fact we have three days for almost each holiday :)).

Most people here refer to the day after Christmas simply as "January 8", but I call it "err, can you remind me which date is Christmas?" :P

From now on, I refer to it as Mister's Birthday Day! ;) *Expect a new thread next December 26th*

According to my boss it's usually "What? You just had two days off, get back to work" Day.

St. Stephan's day, but mostly the second day of Christmas, in my country we have three days of Christmas, in fact we have three days for almost each holiday :)).

From now on, I refer to it as Mister's Birthday Day! ;) *Expect a new thread next December 26th*

:wub::cake: for you, sir! Mister was actually born on the day of the tsunami in 2004.

I just call it the day after Christmas. :lol:

Sutaomiiru

Second Day of Christmas (Germany)

Same goes for Sweden,

Awesome reply. ;)

I have generally heard the day referred to as Boxing Day.

Rising Sun

December 26th ?

Or sometimes the day where that horrible storm hit Europe in 1999. Impossible to not remember it. It has sort of become a "storm's day" in my mind.

Grumpy Alien

Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, December 26th/26th of December.

Autumn Season

"Zweiter Weihnachtsfeiertag" = "Second day of Christmas (holiday)"

I've seen boxing day on calendars a lot, but I think it's more of a Canadian thing than an American thing, because no one I know in real life actually uses boxing day to describe the day after Christmas. I usually don't attach any name to it; it's just December 26.

Elluna Hellen

Second Day of Christmas (Germany)

It's the same in the Netherlands.

Autumn Sunrise

I think it's usually called Boxing Day in Australia, but I believe that originated in England.

SorryNotSorry

Boxing Day, even though I'm not from any of the Commonwealth countries which recognize it.

I was always of the opinion that we Yanks should begin celebrating it by holding professional prizefights.

Boxing Day, even though I'm not from any of the Commonwealth countries which recognize it.

I was always of the opinion that we Yanks should begin celebrating it by holding professional prizefights.

They're called shopaholics who can't pass up on the big post Christmas sales and will fight each other to get at the best deals.

For the poor folks in retail, it's usually the day people crowd the stores looking for deals on holiday items, clothes, and especially big ticket items (electronics and the like), and people trying to return clothes that don't fit.

For me, if the 26th falls on a weekday, it usually means back to work day because it's that one day closer to the end of month.

For those who celebrate it, it is the first day of Kwanzaa.

LadyWallflower

Boxing Day. But I like this idea of it being the 2nd day of Christmas. I need to move to Europe.

(I am an American, so some Americans do call it that. But I am from an area really close to the border. Maybe Americans located more South don't call it that? I don't know)

I call it the longest possible time before next Christmas D:

I've seen boxing day on calendars a lot, but I think it's more of a Canadian thing than an American thing, because no one I know in real life actually uses boxing day to describe the day after Christmas. I usually don't attach any name to it; it's just December 26.

it is a canadian thing. :) i call it boxing day, since that's what my canadian parents call it (and now that i live in montreal, that's what everyone calls it). i have never heard an american call it boxing day (and if some use it, it's not widespread).

I call it the first day I can start selling useless crap.

Boxing Day. But I like this idea of it being the 2nd day of Christmas. I need to move to Europe.

(I am an American, so some Americans do call it that. But I am from an area really close to the border. Maybe Americans located more South don't call it that? I don't know)

The only reason I know it's Boxing Day is because it's on a lot of calendars that way. We don't celebrate it down here in the SW. Since it is a saint's day too, there are probably services in the Catholic churches around here. Beyond that, the day is for post Christmas shoppers and sleeping in (if not on a weekday).

Here it's Tapaninpäivä.
What ever that is. Apparently people visit family on that day.

Or, as I call it, "Sleep in and do fuck all"-day

Skycaptain

Boxing day, but I think that's only the UK, in many countries it's a normal working day

GoosePeelings

Here it's Tapaninpäivä.

What ever that is. Apparently people visit family on that day.

Or, as I call it, "Sleep in and do fuck all"-day

Same here.

It's nice to see another Finn here.

Archived