Bordergender/borderfluid

lowena

I wanted to make a thread for other bordergender/borderfluid people, if there are any. :) I'll put the definition of the terms below by the person who coined them.

Bordergender/Borderfluid: A fluctuating gender experienced exclusively by people with BPD [borderline Personality Disorder]. A gender identity lacking a firm grasp on ones identity, while still experiencing gender, to varying degrees, but having trouble pinning it down to just one label or identity. Having the sense of grasping at labels as much as possible to describe a gender we keep questioning because we keep second guessing our sense of selves and, consequentially, our sense of gender.
Can be combined with relevant genders.

Source

I personally prefer bordergender because for some reason I am averse to using for myself gender labels that include "fluid". I don't know why, it's really weird and illogical.

My gender is something... I know I'm not cis, that's for sure. x) Most of the time I feel agender, or some undefined gender, but sometimes I feel somewhat like a woman. But part of being borderline is rarely (if ever) being sure of anything about oneself, so those are likely to change. So that's why I'm starting to identify as bordergender. :) I originally decided on trans woman about two and a half years ago and I've been using she/her/hers for a bit over a year now, also my new real name which is quite feminine, and I'm not sure how I feel about them anymore. I don't really care though, so I guess I'l keep using them for now.

Actually, as I write this, borderfluid kind of sounds better than bordergender... Yay BPD!

So, is anyone else bordergender/borderfluid?

butterflydreams

So, is anyone else bordergender/borderfluid?

No, but this is a very interesting concept. Thanks for posting about it! :) I'll be interested to see if it ends up resonating for anyone else here.

Oh, this is really interesting! No, I'm not bordergender/fluid, but I think that this is really very interesting to read about. It's a concept that I'm sure others can relate to. : ) Thanks for sharing that!

I admit that my first reaction was to think of borderfluid as being a genderfluid person with BPD, but I can see that I'm wrong, after reading the definition again. I identify as genderfluid, but I see a different experience in the definition than I have. I tend to be able to label my genders quite easily as I pass through them (or at least, put a consistent label on one gender, even if I'm off somewhat, but that's an argument for another day.... after all, is my masculine the same as other people's masculine? Nope, but close enough :P ). But it sounds like your experience with fluidity is different.

It sounds really interesting. I never knew this existed. Thanks!

Yeah, it's not exactly just someone with BPD that's genderfluid. Some trans/non-binary people with BPD have their gender affected by their disorder, like me, but some don't, and their BPD doesn't factor into their gender identity.

I'm glad you found it informative.

Hey! Yay! I'm glad you like it! :)

Archived