That asexual guy

Orientation  

1. 1. Asexuality is ...

• a sexual orientation
    • the lack of a sexual orientation.
    • either is correct.

This poll is closed to new votes

Autumn Season

I would argue that even though techniquely asexuality is more likely to be the lack of a sexual orientation (not being attracted = not having an orientation pulling you towards sex with a person), it is still more useful to see it as one of many sexual orientations (an orientation which makes us NOT want sex). This way it is, even verbally, on equal grounds with the allosexual orientations.

Equal grounds:

No disputes about which orientation is better or worse.

Each of the orientations concerns sex, even asexuality. So nobody can say "Since you don't have an orientation, you are very flexible and should go along with your partner's wishes".

Lost247365

I guess it really depends on how one defines orientation.

I personally like to think of asexuality in terms of set theory from mathematics. Specifically, as the empty set of orientations. It is not nothing but rather a thing unto itself. Further no list of possible orientations can be complete without it, yet it is the orientation set with no elements within it.

I guess another way of thinking of it is that asexuality is the orientation of not having an orientation. So it is both in my mind.

I prefer thinking of it as a sexual orientation, pretty much for the reasons Autumn posted above.

I personally like to think of asexuality in terms of set theory from mathematics. Specifically, as the empty set of orientations. It is not nothing but rather a thing unto itself. Further no list of possible orientations can be complete without it, yet it is the orientation set with no elements within it.

I guess another way of thinking of it is that asexuality is the orientation of not having an orientation. So it is both in my mind.

I had something like that. 0 is a number, i am attracted to a certain number of sexes and that number is zero.

This is possibly the most unclear way for me to explain this, but oh well.

Lost247365

I prefer thinking of it as a sexual orientation, pretty much for the reasons Autumn posted above.

I had something like that. 0 is a number, i am attracted to a certain number of sexes and that number is zero.

This is possibly the most unclear way for me to explain this, but oh well.

I get what your saying, and that was exactly the kind of point I was trying to make as well.

But I guess math is probably not the best way to explain things. Most people I know hate math and get irritated with me for making math analogies. :ph34r:

HeartfulPeach

That is the 1,000,000 cakes question

large.jpg

Shai Angel

I look at it as a sexual orientation, even with the lack of the sexual part. I personal "feel" apart of that group.

I said lack of, the results honestly surprised me. I've always considered it as the lack of one!

I just say "asexuality is the sexual orientation in which one lacks a directed sexuality" ..people seem to get that so yeah, works for me :)

Isn't asexuality a bit like pink on the rainbow.

As in pink is the colour on the visible light spectrum that basically patches together the loose ends of blue and red where on the light spectrum it would normally go into IR and UV.

We basically patch the area between whichever you would consider the ends.

I tend to see the Sexuality spectrum as kinda circular with hetero and homo at the ends and then bi fitting between the two. Then i'd consider that we stitch the ends together so that way you have a circular structure with ace and bi at opposite sides. I guess Gray would be the stitching a bit.

This idea is flawed i realise and i have yet found a way around the fact that having gray there is like saying that aces have least while bi's have the most sexuality so to speak.Then finding where demi's, cupio's and all the other sexualities would fall would then be a huge issue. Maybe a two planar model separating primary and secondary or idk. Flaws. While partly true it's also false in my mind.

Flawed model that i'm gonna continue working on. (ps not doing it for any reason though, kind of a method of passing time in a thinking method).

Grumpy Alien

I don't believe in lack of orientation. To me, that's like saying you don't have an accent.

Skycaptain

In my opinion asexuality is an orientation. To be attracted to no-one is the same as being attracted to a specific gender, except that in our case we are the "none of the above " option which any proper investigation ought to incude

I would say that either is technically correct, in much the same way as it is correct under some circumstances to say that black and white are not colours, but correct under other circumstances to classify them as colours. Generally speaking, most people will say that you're nitpicking if you declare that you cannot list black as your favourite colour because it is not a colour, and I'd expect that the same thing would apply here.

However, I'd also agree that it could be said that it's the same as any other orientation aside from the target (I.E., nobody), and that saying it's a lack of orientation might create barriers to understanding (as in, "no orientation? So you just don't care?").

I don't believe in lack of orientation. To me, that's like saying you don't have an accent.

But i don't im like the only normal sounding one :p

I tend to consider it a sexual orientation, but I think a case can be made for either one, so I won't get offended if someone refers to it as a lack of an orientation.

GoosePeelings

I tend to consider it a sexual orientation, but I think a case can be made for either one, so I won't get offended if someone refers to it as a lack of an orientation.

I agree with you, I've heard that "asexuality is as much of a sexual orientation as atheism is a religion", which doesn't make much sense to me though.

Religion is a lot more than just relationship with a deity, whereas a sexual orientation is purely about attraction.

Rising Sun

I remember I read a while ago an argument that said that if asexuality is the lack of a sexual orientation, then bisexuality is having two sexual orientations, which is absurd. I agree with it.

I remember I read a while ago an argument that said that if asexuality is the lack of a sexual orientation, then bisexuality is having two sexual orientations, which is absurd. I agree with it.

Dangit. That's probably the best counterargument I've heard yet. *mentally notes it down* :cake:

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2015. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived