And then they ruined it with romance....

Sarika

I know there have been mutterings in the aro threads at one point or another of movies that add unneeded romance, so I thought it might be nice for us to name all those instances where we went, "But why is there a love interest?"

The first that comes to mind to me is the Inspector Gadget movie. Now as a child of the 80s I loved watching the cartoon with my dad. It was a simple cast with a dumbling fool, his too wise niece, their dog and the henchman of the week answering to Dr. Claw. So where did the love interest come from? WHY!!! It wasn't a good movie, but it was made worse by the forced romance.

Something a little different, but the song Big Yellow Taxi is an actually sad but inspiring environmental song which then turns to the songwriters love walking out on them. When 90% of music is about love (being in love, falling in love, breaking up) this catchy tune could have bucked the trend and still be awesome, but noooooo.....

Now tell me all of yours!

glutenfreecake

I know what you mean about inspector gadget. That romantic subplot was completely unnecessary.

I know 90% of music is about love. That's why my music is different. I'm a singer/songwriter:)

Another One

If we talk about movies - then definitely The Hobbit. I still can understand taking a book with no women at all and add a few into the movie, but romance?????

And even worse, some of the dwarves look like dwarves, but three of them were made to look like attractive human males. Hell, if you force a female Elf to love a dwarf, let's see you making him look like a dwarf, you're trying to hint love is not about appearance, aren't you??? :ph34r:

The latest Avengers movie. I love Widow, but why did we need to see her fawn over a guy. It was so uncharacteristic of her.

You'd think the "I used to be a KGB agent who killed innocent people" angle would be enough of an interesting personality trait without wasting screen time with romance.

Actually, pretty much any action movie since it seems like in 99% of those films, female characters are added just for T&A, and to motivate the male characters.

If we talk about movies - then definitely The Hobbit. I still can understand taking a book with no women at all and add a few into the movie, but romance?????

And even worse, some of the dwarves look like dwarves, but three of them were made to look like attractive human males. Hell, if you force a female Elf to love a dwarf, let's see you making him look like a dwarf, you're trying to hint love is not about appearance, aren't you??? :ph34r:

This, so much. Though I do appreciate that the dwarves were made to look distinctive, the book didn't do much in that regard.

But there was finally a strong heroine with more than 1 scene, why did they have to give her some pointless love story. Couldn't she just decide to help the dwarves because she wanted to help other people?

Like I said in the thread about QPRs, Warehouse 13. It was so gross when they forced the two cishet main characters into romance. And I totally agree with The Hobbit, it was completely unnecessary and pathetic.

Also, Vega91, you missed Finland in your location thingy. ^-^

LittlePupkin

Guardians of the Galaxy was a super fun film - mildly spoiled for me by having romance crammed in there for no discernible reason. Half the time I can't tell if I'm irritated because, ew, romance, or because, oh, look the ONLY female character just /has/ to pair up in heterosexual romantic relationship, we can't have her just stay single or be 'just friends' with the male lead. Ugggghh.

Ace of Cakes

The Giver movie... There wasn't really a romantic element in the books, but for the movie they felt that they needed to make "best friend" into "romantic interest" thereby making the lesson about familial love into one about romantic love...

Dodecahedron314

I absolutely second, third, and fourth Vega91 on Avengers. Thankfully it didn't ruin the entire movie for me, which was a pleasant surprise, but still, when the scenes where the background music stopped and they had these supposedly heartfelt conversations happened, I stared at the ceiling and purposely ate my popcorn as loudly as possible because really??? (My friends, of course, thought this was hilarious, especially when accompanied by my aggravated hand gestures. However, they also agreed that that ship should never have sailed and that it needs to sink immediately.) I mean, I can understand that if you were going to ship her with anyone in that movie, it would probably be him...but the thing is, why does she even need to be shipped with anyone in the first place? Answer: she doesn't, because she practically comes across as aro in the first movie, and that certainly makes way more sense with her personality. I get that they were probably trying to make her seem more "human" or whatever, but romance is not the only way to do that! (Plus, why would they even change her character so much from the first movie in the first place? She doesn't need to seem more human, in my opinion.)

What I get from this is that you're frustrated with how much romance surrounds us, especially in pop culture. I think it's because of how much romance and sex play a part in society's standards. Personally, I like being in the third person point of view when it comes to romance. What can I say? I love love, but not just romantic love. I identify myself as aromantic, since I've never had a crush or liked anyone and I've never had an interest in experiencing romance. I love seeing it. What bothers me when it comes to the concept of romance is that people seem to think that's the only love. It's one of the reasons they suspect asexuals to be heartless. Also, asexuals aren't recognized enough, and aromantics, even less. There are seven types of love that I know. The first 3 I list are romantic and I don't care too much about (when it comes to having it), but my parents are pretty heterosexual (as far as I know) and now I'm alive. ^_^ Alright, here we go.

Eros- Your normal love. That intimate romance. I guess the initial definition of love (for most people).

Ludus- Playful love. Flirting and shtuff.

Pragma- Mature and long lasting love, as in marriage.

Philautia- It's self love. This can be interpreted as either narcissism or self respect. I prefer self respect.

Philia- Friendship, fondness, affection. Just your friendly love. (Haha, squishes though :p)

Storge- Family love.

Agape- The love for everyone. I really like this one. Although it's often tied to Christianity, what with God wanting us to love everyone, I think that regardless of religion, we should all love each other. Regardless of sexuality, we should all love each other. Not sexually or romantically though. You know what I mean.

So there, I think if you don't like romance, then forget about it. Yeah, it sucks that a lot of things correspond to "love", but I don't think we should think something's ruined with romance. We should instead try to get things not to be romantic. What's done is done and we shall let that be.

Another One

What I get from this is that you're frustrated with how much romance surrounds us, especially in pop culture.

So there, I think if you don't like romance, then forget about it. Yeah, it sucks that a lot of things correspond to "love", but I don't think we should think something's ruined with romance. We should instead try to get things not to be romantic. What's done is done and we shall let that be.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not the precence (or even over-representation) of romantic love in culture. I like many books and movies that contain romance or are all about romance. I just don't like when people think no story can be interesting without romance, and drop possibly more interesting plot lines where the characters could develop through others kinds of love ;)

I absolutely second, third, and fourth Vega91 on Avengers. Thankfully it didn't ruin the entire movie for me, which was a pleasant surprise, but still, when the scenes where the background music stopped and they had these supposedly heartfelt conversations happened, I stared at the ceiling and purposely ate my popcorn as loudly as possible because really??? (My friends, of course, thought this was hilarious, especially when accompanied by my aggravated hand gestures. However, they also agreed that that ship should never have sailed and that it needs to sink immediately.) I mean, I can understand that if you were going to ship her with anyone in that movie, it would probably be him...but the thing is, why does she even need to be shipped with anyone in the first place? Answer: she doesn't, because she practically comes across as aro in the first movie, and that certainly makes way more sense with her personality. I get that they were probably trying to make her seem more "human" or whatever, but romance is not the only way to do that! (Plus, why would they even change her character so much from the first movie in the first place? She doesn't need to seem more human, in my opinion.)

From what I've gathered, it's not just aces pissed off about the Widow/Hulk pairing. Many allosexual people are just as annoyed for many reasons.

I heard someone describe it as, "well Widow needs something good in her life!" Because clearly a group of friends, a chance to be a hero and actually save people for once.. none of those matter more than romance.

Hollywood seems to like the idea of romance saving a person. As if all their problems vanish the second they fall in twu wuw.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a super fun film - mildly spoiled for me by having romance crammed in there for no discernible reason. Half the time I can't tell if I'm irritated because, ew, romance, or because, oh, look the ONLY female character just /has/ to pair up in heterosexual romantic relationship, we can't have her just stay single or be 'just friends' with the male lead. Ugggghh.

This too. I loved Guardians otherwise, but Gamora and Starlord just kinda ruined parts of a movie. It was such a cliche relationship anyway. Once again, the hard, strong woman needs to be "saved" by the love of The Hero.

Also why did she need to be saved several times? If she's the badass the movie tells us she is, why is it that when Yondu tracks them down and is about to kill Starlord she hasn't already beat all of them up? Instead she's just screaming "don't kill him!" and practically crying.

BiliousOldGentleman

(highlight all to reveal spolers)

I just watched Chalet Girl for the first time and I was enjoying an awesome film about a young woman learning how to snowboard and being awesome at it and there was a romantic subplot which not only added nothing to the story but she got together with him in the end after he was a total jerk. It served nothing more than to fill some sort of 'romance requirement' that is expected in that kind of movie.

A similar thing happened in Whip It and I loved that the female protag kicked her ratbag love interest to the kerb but I don't really see why she needed him in the first place when the stories about her roller derby career and the relationships with friends and family were much more interesting.

This doesn't mean films with couples in are always unwatchable for me. An example of this is The Devil Wears Prada where, even though she has a boyfriend, the film is about her journalism career and the relationship with her boss. NOT about how she meets her boyfriend or the strain her work has on their relationship.

I guess I take umbrage with romance subplots when they are just shoehorned in when filmakers don't think audiences will respond to their films without them. I particularly hate the 'Pair the Spares' trope where all the left over single characters are joined up as an afterthought (often as the credits roll) because the idea of anyone left unnattached is *sarcasm* sooo unthinkable.

Yeah, the whole Tauriel/Kili thing in the Hobbit. I can accept that romance sells, even if an elf/dwarf romance makes no sense to me. What really bugged me though was Fili and Kili's death scenes. In the book the brothers died fighting together in battle. In the movie, Fili dies alone and Kili dies defending Tauriel. Why is romantic love more important than the brotherly love that was stressed in the book, and the movies up to this point? I thought it would've been better to keep the book version, but have Tauriel find Kili's body after the battle or something.

Another One

Yeah, the whole Tauriel/Kili thing in the Hobbit. I can accept that romance sells, even if an elf/dwarf romance makes no sense to me. What really bugged me though was Fili and Kili's death scenes. In the book the brothers died fighting together in battle. In the movie, Fili dies alone and Kili dies defending Tauriel. Why is romantic love more important than the brotherly love that was stressed in the book, and the movies up to this point? I thought it would've been better to keep the book version, but have Tauriel find Kili's body after the battle or something.

O'k, I'd let Tauriel remain in the movie, at least she's a fully-dressed female warrior, which is nice to see))

What I get from this is that you're frustrated with how much romance surrounds us, especially in pop culture. I think it's because of how much romance and sex play a part in society's standards. Personally, I like being in the third person point of view when it comes to romance. What can I say? I love love, but not just romantic love. I identify myself as aromantic, since I've never had a crush or liked anyone and I've never had an interest in experiencing romance. I love seeing it. What bothers me when it comes to the concept of romance is that people seem to think that's the only love. It's one of the reasons they suspect asexuals to be heartless. Also, asexuals aren't recognized enough, and aromantics, even less. There are seven types of love that I know. The first 3 I list are romantic and I don't care too much about (when it comes to having it), but my parents are pretty heterosexual (as far as I know) and now I'm alive. ^_^ Alright, here we go.

Eros- Your normal love. That intimate romance. I guess the initial definition of love (for most people).

Ludus- Playful love. Flirting and shtuff.

Pragma- Mature and long lasting love, as in marriage.

Philautia- It's self love. This can be interpreted as either narcissism or self respect. I prefer self respect.

Philia- Friendship, fondness, affection. Just your friendly love. (Haha, squishes though :p)

Storge- Family love.

Agape- The love for everyone. I really like this one. Although it's often tied to Christianity, what with God wanting us to love everyone, I think that regardless of religion, we should all love each other. Regardless of sexuality, we should all love each other. Not sexually or romantically though. You know what I mean.

I actually love love and adore romance in stories, but that's not the point of this tread. This is a light hearted rant thread about popular culture's ramming of sex and romance into everything. I'm not sure why you added Greek philosophy here.

O'k, I'd let Tauriel remain in the movie, at least she's a fully-dressed female warrior, which is nice to see))

Agreed. We need more sensibly dressed badass female characters. :D

Crowfather

I've read 2 books that start off with a female character being completely fine on her own and actively not wanting to get into a relationship, but then soon a love interest is introduced because "no, you really do want this though".
So upsetting.

these books are:
- The Bone People
- Boy Proof (way to stick to your guns, book)

The first time I came across asexuality was actually in a book, I think it's the only one I've read where a character was openly asexual (Sherlock Holmes probably was, but obviously the terminology didn't exist when it was written).

It's called Quicksilver, by R.J. Anderson, it's actually a sequel but the first one does have a romance plot.

But yes, it's really irritating when the plot is relationship based, like all the teen fiction books where a girl meets a boy and suddenly her life becomes amazing. Or when all the main characters get paired up (City of Heavenly Fire) which is kind of annoying. In real life, it doesn't tie up that neatly.

byanyotherusername

It's been nearly a decade and I am still seething about about Ron + Kim in Kim Possible, haha. That one just got me--they had this really great male-female best friend thing going, they both dated other people without the other getting jealous, they were close and supportive and everything was gravy and then out of nowhere they fall in love in the last season? REALLY? I consider that to be the show where "lost my innocence" and stopped expecting male+female pairs to ever stay friends in TV shows. XD

Dodecahedron314

Warning: Maximum Ride spoilers (sort of)

James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. The first few books were awesome, and for a while there in junior high school and even into high school this was one of my favorite series...and then somewhere around the 4th or 5th book, all of a sudden there's a thing between Max and Fang??? Excuse me, what??

....and then Dylan gets introduced, and it all just goes very rapidly downhill from there.

Don't get me wrong, the later books do have some good points, most notably Max's backstory, but dear god can you not with the romance. I didn't even read the last book, Nevermore--a friend of mine read it and said that the romance so completely took over the book and destroyed the ending (which already wasn't very good to begin with, by her description) that it wasn't even worth reading. She even went to the trouble of writing a note explaining that and putting it in the first few pages of the copy she'd gotten from the library to save people from wasting their time.

What's worse is that this seems to be a repeating pattern, because the exact same thing happened with his Witch and Wizard series. I don't remember anything like that happening in Daniel X, but I haven't gotten past the second or third book there, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Why is it so hard for YA authors to write characters that have their priorities straight when it comes down to between saving the world and deciding who to make out with? :angry:

CaptainKhaleesi

I wholeheartedly agree on the Avengers 2 and The Hobbit! Those made me so mad!

I also remember being upset during the Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian when they tried to make a relationship between Susan and Caspian that wasn't in the book. Not everything needs romance!

cosmosredshift7

The thing in Avengers ruined the entire movie for me; I refuse to give them my money.

Pretty much every action movie imo. There's just so much sex, sex, sex and no reason for it.

Like, we get it. You like each other, but that's not why I am watching this movie. I am not interested in your love life or I'd be watching a romance movie.

I am kinda biased tho when it comes to Marvel because I love their stuff so I can accept when they do weird stuff.

What is really frustrating tho is when movies add 1 woman who is absolutely useless just so someone can have sex with her or at least flirt with her.

What is really frustrating tho is when movies add 1 woman who is absolutely useless just so someone can have sex with her or at least flirt with her.

Which seems to be pretty much every action movie, unfortunately. It's especially annoying when her personality begins and ends at "woman who find the hero attractive."

Gotta say, Marvel's romances have generally been decent. Iron Man/Pepper has been fairly well done, they both have lives outside the relationship.

Which seems to be pretty much every action movie, unfortunately. It's especially annoying when her personality begins and ends at "woman who find the hero attractive."

Gotta say, Marvel's romances have generally been decent. Iron Man/Pepper has been fairly well done, they both have lives outside the relationship.

Yea and I don't think I ever felt that Pepper was an extension of Tony.

Like you said, Pepper's life doesn't revolve around Tony.

Then again, two of their shows revolve around women so there's that as well.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about Skye, even events that have nothing to do with her tend to somehow indirectly be about her or affecting her. Now they also got Agent Carter which I haven't watched.

It's nice that a major company doesn't completely forget about half the world. Tho they do have a bit to go still. They need more female characters, but in a way that isn't really their fault because there hasn't been many female comic heroes or villains as far as I know.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about Skye, even events that have nothing to do with her tend to somehow indirectly be about her or affecting her. Now they also got Agent Carter which I haven't watched.

It's nice that a major company doesn't completely forget about half the world. Tho they do have a bit to go still. They need more female characters, but in a way that isn't really their fault because there hasn't been many female comic heroes or villains as far as I know.

I dunno, there are several pretty famous and powerful females who Marvel still have the rights to, of course they've lost a lot of great females with X-Men; She-Hulk and Captain Marvel come to mind. (Though Captain Marvel is getting her own movie which I can't wait for.) And I love having a woman with powers on the team now.

And of course, nobody knew the Guardians either before Marvel made a movie of them, so they probably could have succeeded with more females.

Then again, comics were originally targeted towards boys, and there may have been fear that too many females would chase away comic fans.

I think, at first, Marvel played it somewhat safer, what with Iron Man, Thor and Hulk being some of their most well-known heroes. But even then, I'm glad they never turned Widow´into some damsel or love interest, it would've been too easy to do that in Avengers 1. Which is why I was so disappointed about the Ultron relationship. But now we've got two female Avengers. :D

I agree, it's nice that Marvel is trying, at least. I haven't had a chance to see the shows, though I want to.

Dodecahedron314

Yeah, even though it would have been nice for Pepper to have a bit more of a role in Age of Ultron, it's definitely good that she's her own person and not just Ms. Tony. (The scene where he and Thor (I think) got into an argument over whose girlfriend was more accomplished was pretty amusing in my opinion, because stereotypically it's generally the other way around.)

I can't speak to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D or Agent Carter because I haven't watched either yet (one of my friends is trying to organize a mega Marvel marathon sometime soon though, so that'll probably change).

Yeah, Marvel is definitely a heck of a lot further along than DC, which actually does have a female hero as one of the main figures of the entire franchise...and still hasn't released a standalone movie for her yet, and only is just now getting around to giving her a side part in a movie focused on two male heroes. I mean, obviously you could say almost the same thing about Marvel with making a freaking Ant-Man movie before a Black Widow movie, but at least Widow has had a major role in the Avengers movies, while Wonder Woman has been nowhere to be seen as far as I know in any of DC's movies that have been released thus far (not a big DC person by any stretch of the imagination, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Has DC ever even done a standalone movie of any female character? At least Marvel has Elektra, even though she was originally introduced just as Daredevil's love interest in his movie (don't know how closely that follows the comics, so if it was already canon then that's another matter).

Yeah, even though it would have been nice for Pepper to have a bit more of a role in Age of Ultron, it's definitely good that she's her own person and not just Ms. Tony. (The scene where he and Thor (I think) got into an argument over whose girlfriend was more accomplished was pretty amusing in my opinion, because stereotypically it's generally the other way around.)

I can't speak to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D or Agent Carter because I haven't watched either yet (one of my friends is trying to organize a mega Marvel marathon sometime soon though, so that'll probably change).

Yeah, Marvel is definitely a heck of a lot further along than DC, which actually does have a female hero as one of the main figures of the entire franchise...and still hasn't released a standalone movie for her yet, and only is just now getting around to giving her a side part in a movie focused on two male heroes. I mean, obviously you could say almost the same thing about Marvel with making a freaking Ant-Man movie before a Black Widow movie, but at least Widow has had a major role in the Avengers movies, while Wonder Woman has been nowhere to be seen as far as I know in any of DC's movies that have been released thus far (not a big DC person by any stretch of the imagination, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Has DC ever even done a standalone movie of any female character? At least Marvel has Elektra, even though she was originally introduced just as Daredevil's love interest in his movie (don't know how closely that follows the comics, so if it was already canon then that's another matter).

I loved that scene, I'm pretty sure it was done on purpose because it's such a cliche in movies.

DC does also have a Wonder Woman movie planned for 2017 (or so) The thing is, I think DC has just now started trying to create a franchise as successful as the Avengers have been.

I guess I'm just worried about that, as well as her presentation in the Batman v. Superman movie. Because (to get back to the topic of the thread) I'm worried that there will be a "will she fall in love with Superman, or with Batman?" plot. And even if it's resolved with a "Neither, because she is a Strong Action Heroine," it would still reduce her to a love interest.

I think there's been some Supergirl movies in the past, I know WW had her own TV show but I'm not sure about a movie. Movies about superheroines have been few and far between (and usually terrible)

I'd almost call Winter Soldier a Black Widow movie, she's got almost as big a role as Cap there. And no romance! Holy crap that movie was amazing.

Dodecahedron314

I loved that scene, I'm pretty sure it was done on purpose because it's such a cliche in movies.

DC does also have a Wonder Woman movie planned for 2017 (or so) The thing is, I think DC has just now started trying to create a franchise as successful as the Avengers have been.

I guess I'm just worried about that, as well as her presentation in the Batman v. Superman movie. Because (to get back to the topic of the thread) I'm worried that there will be a "will she fall in love with Superman, or with Batman?" plot. And even if it's resolved with a "Neither, because she is a Strong Action Heroine," it would still reduce her to a love interest.

I think there's been some Supergirl movies in the past, I know WW had her own TV show but I'm not sure about a movie. Movies about superheroines have been few and far between (and usually terrible)

I'd almost call Winter Soldier a Black Widow movie, she's got almost as big a role as Cap there. And no romance! Holy crap that movie was amazing.

I knew about the upcoming Wonder Woman movie and such, which is why I specified "released thus far." I still think it's ridiculous that it's taken them this long.

Ideally, meaning it's probably a long shot but we can dream, she'll have some sort of peacemaker role where she'll be too busy keeping Batman and Superman from destroying each other and/or the world for there to be much of a love interest potential. Considering the Hollywood school of "there must be romance in EVERYTHING", I'm not holding my breath, but it would certainly be a welcome change of pace.

Ooh, now I really need to watch Winter Soldier. I'm kind of a bad fangirl as far as Marvel's concerned because I'm obsessed with the universe even though I've only seen Daredevil, Elektra, and the two Avengers movies, but like I said, that'll probably be fixed when my friend sets up her marathon of pretty much everything Marvel ever (because she owns virtually all of it).

Archived