Ace Pride Triangle

margo_k

So I totally forgot to post this on here, but I did a quick visibility project a while back that you can read about here. It was related to this and this project. I made an ace pride triangle with faces from the ace community, but I also made one with famous members and characters of the ace community to protect closeted aces. If anyone wants to use this, please send me a quick message to let me know, but other than that feel free! I also have the photoshop doc if anyone wants to go back and edit it with their own characters. Hope you like it!

and psssttt....it's transparent!

tumblr_nnkunpPkrF1s9xwsqo1_500.png

That asexual guy

Apologies but I don't think I recognize everyone even though I apparently should. Could you name them all?

Does Sherlock (from Sherlock, not from the original novels or other reboots of the character) count as asexual if he's a sociopath (using this term almost physically hurts)?

Toby The Casual Prince

Tesla <3

Does Sherlock (from Sherlock, not from the original novels or other reboots of the character) count as asexual if he's a sociopath (using this term almost physically hurts)?

Cumberbatch calls him "asexual", however... he said he's "asexual" because he CHOOSES to not be interested, because he finds his work more important than his sexual desires. :s

Sherlock, Tim Gunn, David Jay, Voodoo (from Sirens), Tesla and SwankIvy are the only ones I recognize.

Sure @EarlGrey!

The characters are, in order L -> R, Top -> Bottom:

Sherlock (BBC), Tim Gunn (Project Runway), Voodoo (Sirens), David Jay (Founder of AVEN), Andrew Hinderlighter (Asexuality Visibility Activist), Sherlock Holmes (Original), Doug (Voodoo's Boyfriend on Sirens), Bruce Jenner (Related to the Kardashians), Nicolas Tesla, Poppy (Huge), and SwankIvy (Asexual Youtube Blogger).

And to @sithgirlix, from my research on the character of Sherlock from BBC, and talking with David Jay about it, the character is technically asexual. What has happened is that Moffat (The creator of the show) decided not to state that explicitly, because he knew that he was going to insult the asexual community since he blows off Sherlock's asexuality as being a 'sociopath' and that he's just 'weird.' With David's talks with the creators, they did state that Sherlock was cannonly asexual, but because they don't want blowback from fans for portraying asexuality as mental issues, they decided not to address it in the show.

And for anyone else wondering, yes, the original Sherlock from the novels was cannonly asexual. If you read the stories it's pretty obvious.

Thank you for calling me out on that though! It's good to make sure we represent our community fairly, but unfortunately, there aren't many good portrayals of asexuality out there for me to add to the triangle! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Despite his claim of being a "high-functioning sociopath," I really don't think Sherlock actually qualifies as being sociopathic by the clinical definition. Yes, he has issues relating to people, but (spoiler alert) I think given his relationships and general protectiveness of Watson and Mrs. Hudson, and his unwillingness to have his friends killed from his encounter with Moriarty, it has been established that he does have some kind of conscience and can care for people, therefore not a sociopath. He just has poor people skills, which in fact would be unusual for sociopaths who tend to be very charming and charismatic.

Furthermore sociopaths are not inherently or even predominantly asexual, that's just a common trope to make them seem strange and less human.

Sherlock is as ace as cake itself.

Yes that's true @Ghosty! Actually, in the BBC show, the character of Sherlock only claims to be a sociopath because that was the term that was given to him by other people who thought he was strange. Sherlock presents himself as more of an introverted and asocial (avoidant of society) person. This is different than the common term antisocial, which means a person is actively hostile towards society. Sherlock is just really socially awkward and doesn't really have a filter, so people mistakenly labeled him a phyco- or sociopath.

My main argument actually stems from the Blind Baker episode where Sherlock encounters a former classmate. His classmate specifically states that Sherlock's other acquaintances at the school called him weird and a psychopath. From the dialogue, you can tell that this happens often to Sherlock, and is probably the primary reason that he has taken on the label of sociopath in order to distance himself from people using the label to insult him.

Despite his claim of being a "high-functioning sociopath," I really don't think Sherlock actually qualifies as being sociopathic by the clinical definition. Yes, he has issues relating to people, but (spoiler alert) I think given his relationships and general protectiveness of Watson and Mrs. Hudson, and his unwillingness to have his friends killed from his encounter with Moriarty, it has been established that he does have some kind of conscience and can care for people, therefore not a sociopath. He just has poor people skills, which in fact would be unusual for sociopaths who tend to be very charming and charismatic.

Furthermore sociopaths are not inherently or even predominantly asexual, that's just a common trope to make them seem strange and less human.

Sherlock is as ace as cake itself.

Though I agree he isn't a sociopath, it seems that the show is trying to make him one. Failing, but trying. So I still wouldn't call him ace just because it's caused my a mental disorder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like it, very creative :D

For those of you who didn't know, like Casalaz, the former Bruce Jenner has transitioned into the woman now known as Caitlyn Jenner. In her original announcement, Caitlyn stated that she was asexual (#12). I made this project around the same time as the announcement, so I included her. More recently, Caitlyn has stated that she is heterosexual (#2), so that would change the triangle a bit. I guess I'll have to go back and change it eventually!

Archived