I'm Heart, your friendly neighbourhood admin!

Heart

Sounds like an awesome job, Kelly! And congrats on the PhD Heart!

Here is my (admittedly not very thorough) thoughts on the stone problem, by the way:

If the largest pile a player has access to has only three stones, e loses. Thus, if the largest pile a player has access to has 6, 5 or 4 stones, e can ensure that the next player has a largest pile of 3, and thus having a largest pile of 6, 5, 4 is a guaranteed win condition, provided the player plays correctly, i. e., leaves the other player with two piles of 3. It now follows that if a player has a largest pile of exactly 7, this must be subdivided into a largest pile of either of the previous, and hence a largest pile of 7 will be a loss. This is easily generalised to include [8..14] as a win condition, 15 a loss, and we see the pattern emerging: having stones 2^n - 1 is a guaranteed loss, provided the other player plays it right. Thus Kolya will not necessarily win, but Vitya can if he plays it smart, since 31 is 2^5 - 1.

This of course always requires that all the smaller piles generated as a by-product will be divided into even smaller units, which I think should be possible, though I have not really gone through it rigorously.

Here is my (admittedly not very thorough) thoughts on the stone problem, by the way:

If the largest pile a player has access to has only three stones, e loses. Thus, if the largest pile a player has access to has 6, 5 or 4 stones, e can ensure that the next player has a largest pile of 3, and thus having a largest pile of 6, 5, 4 is a guaranteed win condition, provided the player plays correctly, i. e., leaves the other player with two piles of 3. It now follows that if a player has a largest pile of exactly 7, this must be subdivided into a largest pile of either of the previous, and hence a largest pile of 7 will be a loss. This is easily generalised to include [8..14] as a win condition, 15 a loss, and we see the pattern emerging: having stones 2^n - 1 is a guaranteed loss, provided the other player plays it right. Thus Kolya will not necessarily win, but Vitya can if he plays it smart, since 31 is 2^5 - 1.

This of course always requires that all the smaller piles generated as a by-product will be divided into even smaller units, which I think should be possible, though I have not really gone through it rigorously.

What if I have a pile of 5 though, and I split it into two and three? Then the other person splits either pile into one pile of 1 and one pile of one 1 or 2 (depending on which pile they split), then I split the remaining one into two piles of 1. (numbers indicate the number of stones in a pile, and written out words indicate a quantity other than the number of stones in a pile, to try to make this less confusing...). As such, I always have the last turn.

But if I have a pile of 6, and split it into two threes, then the other person gets the last move.

So I don't think I'm following how both 5 and 6 can be a win condition?

butterflydreams

Wow, I've been out of this thread for a while :P congrats to Heart and Kelly!

Heart, I'm a little disappointed in you though. All month I've been watching conspiracy theory videos about some particle accelerator opening a gateway to hell and ushering in the end times on September 23rd. That was yesterday! What happened?! :P

What if I have a pile of 5 though, and I split it into two and three? Then the other person splits either pile into one pile of 1 and one pile of one 1 or 2 (depending on which pile they split), then I split the remaining one into two piles of 1. (numbers indicate the number of stones in a pile, and written out words indicate a quantity other than the number of stones in a pile, to try to make this less confusing...). As such, I always have the last turn.

But if I have a pile of 6, and split it into two threes, then the other person gets the last move.

No? If you split it into two three's, then the other person is forced to split those two into two two's and two one's, and you win. You have to split every pile every turn, as I understand the game. You cannot choose not to split a pile just because you split another one.

Heart, I'm a little disappointed in you though. All month I've been watching conspiracy theory videos about some particle accelerator opening a gateway to hell and ushering in the end times on September 23rd. That was yesterday! What happened?! :P

DANG IT I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!!! Shoot, sorry guyz. My bad, I didn't write it in my planner and my brain is like a sieve. Next year?

No? If you split it into two three's, then the other person is forced to split those two into two two's and two one's, and you win. You have to split every pile every turn, as I understand the game. You cannot choose not to split a pile just because you split another one.

OH! I thought each person picked one pile to split, and had to split one pile but could only split one pile?

Calligraphette_Coe

DANG IT I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!!! Shoot, sorry guyz. My bad, I didn't write it in my planner and my brain is like a sieve. Next year?

'S okay, we had The Minions distracted so they forgot about the gateway. Talk Like A Pirate Day was right before then, and we got the Minions drunk on tequila. I was there as a female pirate known as The Lioness of Brittany, and they were too busy watching my bustle. ;)

'S okay, we had The Minions distracted so they forgot about the gateway. Talk Like A Pirate Day was right before then, and we got the Minions drunk on tequila. I was there as a female pirate known as The Lioness of Brittany, and they were too busy watching my bustle. ;)

Aha! It's all Zen's fault!! ;)

IN ONE TURN A PLAYER DIVIDES EVERY PILE WHICH HAS MORE THAN ONE STONE INTO TWO LESSER ONES.

^ Heart. ^_^

butterflydreams

I survived Y2K, 2012, and now 9/23...I, I think this must mean I'm invincible :P

In honor of our awesome moderator Heart, we have:

Hearts in Space!

There is the big heart-shaped region on Pluto:

Pluto-top2.jpg

And there are more:

Calligraphette_Coe

::::shrugs with utmost look of innocence::::: Well, you know..... Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. :) And opening a quantum singularity by accelerating some queerons and crashing them into Cake seemed like a fun idea at the time?

It did have one side effect, though? It ate Windows 9. :-0

BTW, there were two other famous female pirates, and they were among the earliest transmasculine folks. Anne Bonny and Mary Read dressed as men and at one time served aboard the same pirate ship.

http://www.bonney-readkrewe.com/legend.html

When the authorities finally caught up with the ship and crew and captured them, only Bonny and Read stayed above decks to fight. When the Captain was to be hanged ( who was Anne's lover), Anne, allowed to visit him one last time, told him this:

"Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog."

Yikes! And so much for gender roles. And here's to the folks who broke them, even in the 18th century.

IN ONE TURN A PLAYER DIVIDES EVERY PILE WHICH HAS MORE THAN ONE STONE INTO TWO LESSER ONES.

^ Heart. ^_^

Oops. My previous analysis is probably way off then :P

I survived Y2K, 2012, and now 9/23...I, I think this must mean I'm invincible :P

I'll hide behind you next time the world is scheduled to explode ;)

In honor of our awesome moderator Heart, we have:

Hearts in Space!

There is the big heart-shaped region on Pluto:

Pluto-top2.jpg

And there are more:

THE WHOLE UNIVERSE LOVES ME :wub:

Seriously though, this whole thread is awesome, thank you Kelly!! This makes me feel so special ^_^

::::shrugs with utmost look of innocence::::: Well, you know..... Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. :) And opening a quantum singularity by accelerating some queerons and crashing them into Cake seemed like a fun idea at the time?

BTW, there were two other famous female pirates, and they were among the earliest transmasculine folks. Anne Bonny and Mary Read dressed as men and at one time served aboard the same pirate ship.

When the authorities finally caught up with the ship and crew and captured them, only Bonny and Read stayed above decks to fight. When the Captain was to be hanged ( who was Anne's lover), Anne, allowed to visit him one last time, told him this:

Yikes! And so much for gender roles. And here's to the folks who broke them, even in the 18th century.

I only got into pirates a bit because of Assassin's Creed (and it was my high school mascot!), but I'm not really sure how gender variant they really were. They posed as men to further their careers but did they identify with men? Bonny was involved with Rackham, was it? And Read got pregnant from a lover she had on the night they were captured. That guy died in the battle while fighting alongside the two women. I would guess them to be cis straight women rather than gay men.

Calligraphette_Coe

I only got into pirates a bit because of Assassin's Creed (and it was my high school mascot!), but I'm not really sure how gender variant they really were. They posed as men to further their careers but did they identify with men? Bonny was involved with Rackham, was it? And Read got pregnant from a lover she had on the night they were captured. That guy died in the battle while fighting alongside the two women. I would guess them to be cis straight women rather than gay men.

Yep, 'Calico Jack', who got his name from the rather flamboyant shirts he wore. I've often wondered if the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' series of films didn't play off his life to some extent?

As to Read and Bonny, I always saw them as more androgynous, even as they were straight. And the fact that he became known as 'Calico Jack' makes one wonder about Rackham, too.

Further, it also makes me wonder if gender had something to do with their living outside of 'polite' society, and having to do what they did to survive and make a good living. I guess I wonder that because I know of all the crap *I* have to put up with from 'polite society' here in the 21st century. I couldn't have been the least bit easier in the 18th.

Whatever the explanantion, I just know it my bones that we folks have always been around and have found ways to make lives outside of the norms. At least now, we don't have to do it with a cultass!

'Tis true that we can't speculate, Zen and nerd, but then again, why not let our imaginations run wild a little? ;)

Heck, Halloween's coming up!! Maybe this is a sign that I need to be a pirate this year.

But I did that last year already!

2014-10-31%2018.21.19.jpg

Mary Read disguised as James Kidd (Assassin's Creed Version) :D

But I did that last year already!

2014-10-31%2018.21.19.jpg

Mary Read disguised as James Kidd (Assassin's Creed Version) :D

Now I'm jealous. Your disguise skills are beyond mine! But I have a whole month to go, so perhaps I can throw something together ;)

Yeah, I didn't get to make anything this year due to lack of time so for Halloween I'm a character that looks like he's a commoner because I just bought clothes to be a person this time. I want to be able to make something for the convention in December though.

Calligraphette_Coe

Complete with Aarrrrr-gand diagrams and Poisson distributions of loot?

So yus. I cut my hair short but thick a day ago, and many guys at work have been saying it's a feminine/female haircut... (lol don't worry..) and I wanted to ask you Heart, if I was cis, I probably wouldn't like them calling it or completely neutral but I have a thing that I have to hide from them, all het+cis ... they won't understand but yes.. my point... I feel happy/fuzzy every time someone calls my haircut feminine heheheh, I have to pretend I don't like feminine and pretend like "ugh" but inside of myself, I FEEL like it's NICE to have FEMALE hair, does it support my gender identity issue? I mean... it's one of those things that help me make up my mind :3 .. like, I doubt a cis person would feel happy about being likened to a opposite gender that much, not like me i mean, it's hard to explain, i just have this... amazing .. comforting, nice feeling on the inside :) I feel so proud somehow :3 .. like this is how i should be!!!! Argh, it's so weird... cause i never had those thoughts before but it's not that I'm like "ok, cool!" but more like... "heh, wow... this feels amazing, I'm so happy!"

Dodecahedron314

Dangit everyone, I leave this thread alone for two weeks, and this is what you crazy people get up to? I told you you weren't allowed to start the apocalypse without me! :twisted: Also, according to my calculations that should have also eaten Internet Explorer for good, but instead it appears to only have mutated it into this Microsoft Edge thing. Maybe we should have used more frosting...?

Arrr!

So Halloween will have a PI-rate theme?

pirate_math_shirt_large.jpg

...I may or may not have to steal this idea for my Halloween costume. Pirate coat and boots with my Pi/Pie T-shirt, plus getting back up to snuff with memorizing as many digits of pi as possible* and then reciting them in a pirate voice? Sounds like a plan. I mean, the dorm I live in is stereotypically full of math and physics majors, so hopefully someone will appreciate it...?

*(I'm already up to about 60-something consistently just off the top of my head, but when I've been practicing I've gotten as high as 80-something.)

nerdperson777

I found out that this application that opens the school server for students here have a bunch of useful programs. I'm thinking to tinker around in the AutoCAD there to create my design templates. For once, I don't have to hand draw them! And then I can start making them when I come back for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can get it ready by the con in December. (Probably not.)

Calligraphette_Coe

I found out that this application that opens the school server for students here have a bunch of useful programs. I'm thinking to tinker around in the AutoCAD there to create my design templates. For once, I don't have to hand draw them! And then I can start making them when I come back for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can get it ready by the con in December. (Probably not.)

There's an AutoCAD clone by the same people that make SolidWorks called Draftsight. It's a 2D CAD program, but it's 100% free to use. It's a real joy to be able to draw perfectly straight lines and perfect polygons, and use the 'snap' function to get everything just as perfectly spaced as if you were doing it on graph paper. You actually get to the point where you can work faster by typing in commands and coordinates in at the command line.

You might also want to have a look at Inkscape, LibreCAD, and Google's SketchUp.

nerdperson777

There's an AutoCAD clone by the same people that make SolidWorks called Draftsight. It's a 2D CAD program, but it's 100% free to use. It's a real joy to be able to draw perfectly straight lines and perfect polygons, and use the 'snap' function to get everything just as perfectly spaced as if you were doing it on graph paper. You actually get to the point where you can work faster by typing in commands and coordinates in at the command line.

You might also want to have a look at Inkscape, LibreCAD, and Google's SketchUp.

Thanks! I think I downloaded one CAD program here, but I forgot what the title of it was, ha. Part of me wants to use an official program but the other says, just use what works.

And I checked, and I did download Draftsight 2015 x64. But I also give up if it takes too long to learn so I'll give this a try tonight.

Calligraphette_Coe

Thanks! I think I downloaded one CAD program here, but I forgot what the title of it was, ha. Part of me wants to use an official program but the other says, just use what works.

And I checked, and I did download Draftsight 2015 x64. But I also give up if it takes too long to learn so I'll give this a try tonight.

That's a good one to learn on. Do yourself a favor though.... go to You Tube and watch some videos instead of trying to learn it from the help files or a book. Also know that many things you may use to put things together will already have free CAD drawings available from electronic online catalogs. And the creme de la creme of those catalogs is the one from McMaster-Carr. They have _everything_ except the warp coils to rebuild the nacelles of your Constitution class Federation starship.

For that, there's this :)

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-S-Enterprise-Manual-Marcus-Robinson/dp/1844259412

So yus. I cut my hair short but thick a day ago, and many guys at work have been saying it's a feminine/female haircut... (lol don't worry..) and I wanted to ask you Heart, if I was cis, I probably wouldn't like them calling it or completely neutral but I have a thing that I have to hide from them, all het+cis ... they won't understand but yes.. my point... I feel happy/fuzzy every time someone calls my haircut feminine heheheh, I have to pretend I don't like feminine and pretend like "ugh" but inside of myself, I FEEL like it's NICE to have FEMALE hair, does it support my gender identity issue? I mean... it's one of those things that help me make up my mind :3 .. like, I doubt a cis person would feel happy about being likened to a opposite gender that much, not like me i mean, it's hard to explain, i just have this... amazing .. comforting, nice feeling on the inside :) I feel so proud somehow :3 .. like this is how i should be!!!! Argh, it's so weird... cause i never had those thoughts before but it's not that I'm like "ok, cool!" but more like... "heh, wow... this feels amazing, I'm so happy!"

Yes, I think this is a good sign that you're on the right track ;) I get that same inner excitement when I just nail my presentation, and it's exactly what I feel like inside. I'm not very good at it yet, my gender being a moving target and all, but when I get it right, man does it feel good! And natural, and all those things you were saying. Congratulations on the amazing hair cut!!! :D :cake:

Dangit everyone, I leave this thread alone for two weeks, and this is what you crazy people get up to? I told you you weren't allowed to start the apocalypse without me! :twisted: Also, according to my calculations that should have also eaten Internet Explorer for good, but instead it appears to only have mutated it into this Microsoft Edge thing. Maybe we should have used more frosting...?

Arrr!

So Halloween will have a PI-rate theme?

pirate_math_shirt_large.jpg

*(I'm already up to about 60-something consistently just off the top of my head, but when I've been practicing I've gotten as high as 80-something.)

More icing. OK! Ace icing coming right up...

eric-lanlard-3_1832064b.jpg

On another note, though, I am so impressed with your pi digit memorisation powers!! I never got past 30 or so digits; I never had the dedication to put the time in to memorize more :P

So ... no mentions of this?

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2015 was awarded jointly to Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald "for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass"

But even more relevant here in China appears to be the fact that the Medicine Prize was awarded to Youyou Tu (and two others):

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2015 was divided, one half jointly to William C. Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura "for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites" and the other half to Youyou Tu "for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against Malaria".

I'm not Chinese, but my girlfriend is, and she is really excited (and of course I share that excitement) that not only is it the first time a Chinese scientist (one who actually lives and works in China) wins a scientific Nobel Prize, but it was awarded to a woman! Well, not really gender-related in the sense of this forum, but I thought I'd share the news anyway!

So ... no mentions of this?

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2015 was awarded jointly to Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald "for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass"

But even more relevant here in China appears to be the fact that the Medicine Prize was awarded to Youyou Tu (and two others):

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2015 was divided, one half jointly to William C. Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura "for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites" and the other half to Youyou Tu "for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against Malaria".

I'm not Chinese, but my girlfriend is, and she is really excited (and of course I share that excitement) that not only is it the first time a Chinese scientist (one who actually lives and works in China) wins a scientific Nobel Prize, but it was awarded to a woman! Well, not really gender-related in the sense of this forum, but I thought I'd share the news anyway!

That nobel prize winner is actually from my old university :D :D :D

I'm kind of sad though, because that research is exactly the kind of research that's no longer being funded by our government right now. The whole bad economy thing has been an excuse to cut a lot of scientific monies :(

And I'm also super stoked for China! As a scientist, I know that there are smart people all over the world. The more smart people we can get involved in the international science culture, the better. And the more different types of people from different backgrounds and cultures, the more creative and different ways we will have of thinking about problems! I'm so excited to see another big country climbing the science mountain, and I hope every country in the future has the chance to foster their amazing citizens who are passionate about science. The more of this that goes on, the more exciting and interesting things we will learn about the universe around us!

Archived