I'm Heart, your friendly neighbourhood admin!

Heart

littlepersonparadox

Coincidentally no one in your class could get higher than the number picked for hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Dodecahedron314

Coincidentally no one in your class could get higher than the number picked for hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Actually, 42 is the maximum possible score you can get just from exams alone, though it is theoretically possible for someone to get a maximum of 45 marks by getting 7s on all 6 of their exams and earning all 3 "extra" marks from the EE and the TOK assessments. Has anyone ever actually done that? Not that I know of. (Heck, Heart is the first actual person I've ever heard of getting over 40 marks, period.) Is it actually physically/practically possible? The world may never know.

But I certainly have come across that correspondence before. There's at least one post I've seen on the IB side of Tumblr pointing out that 42 being both the score you get by earning 7s on all your exams and the meaning of life, the universe, and everything is just too accurate to be coincidental. IIRC Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was published before the IB program was established...perhaps there might be some Douglas Adams influence in the scoring system? It's just absurd enough to be plausible... :ph34r:

*sips a Guinness*

*looks at the bubbles*

Kelly, my birthday is on the 17th of March, St Patrick's day! I have had many a Guinness in the celebration of such a day. But the next time I do so, I will be STARING at those bubbles.... If we ever meet up again in real life, we shall have to go for drinks so that at least one of us can order a guinness :D

And Dodec, I did not in fact get 7's in all my courses :( I got two 6s, though I cannot for the life of me remember which courses. I think one of them was my bio class, because no one got a 7 that year or the last, and it was shaking my prof's confidence. I was predicted a 45, but after my year, the bio prof just stopped predicting anyone a 7 because of that. And I have no idea what other class I got a 6 in.... but it musta happened! Or maybe I'm going crazy in my old age ;)

Dodecahedron314

And Dodec, I did not in fact get 7's in all my courses :( I got two 6s, though I cannot for the life of me remember which courses. I think one of them was my bio class, because no one got a 7 that year or the last, and it was shaking my prof's confidence. I was predicted a 45, but after my year, the bio prof just stopped predicting anyone a 7 because of that. And I have no idea what other class I got a 6 in.... but it musta happened! Or maybe I'm going crazy in my old age ;)

Well, I've already gotten my two 6s if I were to try and match you, so unless I get 7s in all my HLs (possible, but I don't know how likely) and/or get a couple more 6s and do really well on my EE and TOK assessments, you've probably got me beat. I was predicted a 7 for history and English (*crosses fingers so as not to jinx self*), and I have no clue what I was predicted for math or physics (I think math might have been a borderline 5/6 but I don't remember for sure). Nobody's ever gotten a 7 in math at my school (there have been maybe three or four 6s), and nobody's ever even taken physics HL before me so there's not much of a precedent there either way. I think Legendary MIT Guy who was the last person to take physics got a...5, I want to say? 4 or 5. That was back when the marine biology professor was still teaching physics. Of course, I had my freshman year geometry teacher for HL physics, and he openly admitted on the first day of class that I already probably knew more about physics than he did, so...yeah.

The teacher really makes the class for me. I had a school that gave the IB program the resources it needed, and so it was a very good IB program compared to some of the others I've heard about. We had the best teachers in the school for each subject, and every teacher was a teacher of that subject (no bio teachers teaching physics, for example). For me, at least, the teachers made what I did possible. You can only work with what you're given ;)

But I'm missing the point here. WELL DONE ON YOUR TWO SIXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like, seriously, THAT'S AMAZING! You should be proud ^_^

tumblr_mf00rxMtQh1rq546xo1_500.jpg

Dodecahedron314

The teacher really makes the class for me. I had a school that gave the IB program the resources it needed, and so it was a very good IB program compared to some of the others I've heard about. We had the best teachers in the school for each subject, and every teacher was a teacher of that subject (no bio teachers teaching physics, for example). For me, at least, the teachers made what I did possible. You can only work with what you're given ;)

But I'm missing the point here. WELL DONE ON YOUR TWO SIXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like, seriously, THAT'S AMAZING! You should be proud ^_^

...and this is why nobody's managed to get over 40 yet in my school--it's essentially the exact opposite of yours. Oh, the joys of attending a woefully underfunded school.

Also...ouch. That meme is so accurate it hurts. I mean, I think I used to have that exact laptop, it's that accurate. (Not when I was that young, though. :lol: )

In any case, IB is now officially the past for me, huzzah. So, more geekery! The fun kind. What's everyone's opinion on the whole pi vs. tau debate, since Tau Day is coming up? :D

Wow guys, I love this thread. I haven't been keeping up with the fun geeky times here!

My "asexual intellectual" t-shirt arrived today. :) If any of you asexy geeks are ever in the vicinity of MIT, we should all have a party.

littlepersonparadox

Witting 2pi as tau is rather useful and learning about tau did made radials a lot easier. I think it's one of those things some maths people have a preference for. I for one am excited for the upcoming tau day.

Yes. We should have a Tau Day celebration here. <3

Calligraphette_Coe

Yes! At Milliways? First round of Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters is on me! :)

::::replacing the lavender hand tau I used to escape the Vogons back into my handbag::::::

Oh Maaaaaaarvin.........

...and this is why nobody's managed to get over 40 yet in my school--it's essentially the exact opposite of yours. Oh, the joys of attending a woefully underfunded school.

Also...ouch. That meme is so accurate it hurts. I mean, I think I used to have that exact laptop, it's that accurate. (Not when I was that young, though. :lol: )

In any case, IB is now officially the past for me, huzzah. So, more geekery! The fun kind. What's everyone's opinion on the whole pi vs. tau debate, since Tau Day is coming up? :D

I am an avid user of both pi and tau. And an avid celebrator of both, because why would I miss an excuse to eat pie?!? I always bake a pie on pi day, and two pies on tau day ;) I shall have to improvise a little though, I'm in Switzerland right now and my kitchen is not nearly as stocked as it usually is when I'm back in Canada...

Wow guys, I love this thread. I haven't been keeping up with the fun geeky times here!

My "asexual intellectual" t-shirt arrived today. :) If any of you asexy geeks are ever in the vicinity of MIT, we should all have a party.

I actually go to conferences in the states on not an unusual frequency. If I ever find one at MIT, I shall do my best to get sent there, and then I'll let you know!! We will have to also have a guiness, to geek out over the bubbles ;)

I enjoyed this thread greatly and feel connection with people in it. Apparently technical abilities were inevitable in me from an early age (this is what I'm playing with):

AvsMoCG.jpg

You're adorable :D

We should have a competition. Everyone has the entire day (of whichever time zone you're in) to post two pictures of pies. The winner, showing the most delicious and/or elaborate pies, will get hugs. Since it's my thread, I demand a piece of each pie in order to judge them, and since it's an internet thread, everyone else can also have a slice ;)

DOUBLE POST FOR IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Tau day is on Sunday. Be prepared. Pictures of pie must be had!! :D

(I feel like a bad physicist, having to look up when the 28th is, but now I have saved you all from having to do so ;) )

Dodecahedron314

Considering I have not one, but two MIT-affiliated AVEN friends now, I'm definitely going to have to try and make it over there sometime, maybe for a conference or something like Heart said. (Of course, I was actually planning on actually going there for the longest time...that didn't end up happening, but I'm still happy with where I ended up.) Ooh...could you imagine if we actually managed to recreate this thread in real life by getting most of the people on it together? Best asexy geek party ever.

We should have a competition. Everyone has the entire day (of whichever time zone you're in) to post two pictures of pies. The winner, showing the most delicious and/or elaborate pies, will get hugs. Since it's my thread, I demand a piece of each pie in order to judge them, and since it's an internet thread, everyone else can also have a slice ;)

Heh, this is going to be really interesting for me, considering I'm kind of leaving for college on Sunday and will probably spend most of the day figuring out how to, you know, exist, and might not have much of a chance to go searching for glorious pies. I am, however, going to wear my pi shirt on Tau Day, just to mess with people. And since I'm going to a fairly geeky school, it might actually work! I'll have to keep a running tally of the number of weird looks I get...assuming anyone actually notices.

Ooh...could you imagine if we actually managed to recreate this thread in real life by getting most of the people on it together? Best asexy geek party ever.

Heh, this is going to be really interesting for me, considering I'm kind of leaving for college on Sunday and will probably spend most of the day figuring out how to, you know, exist, and might not have much of a chance to go searching for glorious pies. I am, however, going to wear my pi shirt on Tau Day, just to mess with people. And since I'm going to a fairly geeky school, it might actually work! I'll have to keep a running tally of the number of weird looks I get...assuming anyone actually notices.

Careful, we might create an awesomeness black hole!

Also, you can have an extra special head start and put up pies before you leave if you like. But only you, and only because you have an awesome excuse ;) Lead us off, if you like!

butterflydreams

I enjoyed this thread greatly and feel connection with people in it. Apparently technical abilities were inevitable in me from an early age (this is what I'm playing with):

AvsMoCG.jpg

omg, I had one of those things when I was a kid too! After building all the things from the manual like 4-5 times each, I eventually carved it up for parts. Kinda sad, but boy did I ever get a ton of mileage out of that thing. I remember using it to demo a touch-switch amplifier circuit to my class when I was in 4th grade. I used to be such a prodigy...what the hell happened? :P

Dodecahedron314

Ooh...could you imagine if we actually managed to recreate this thread in real life by getting most of the people on it together? Best asexy geek party ever.

Careful, we might create an awesomeness black hole!

Also, you can have an extra special head start and put up pies before you leave if you like. But only you, and only because you have an awesome excuse ;) Lead us off, if you like!

No pressure or anything. :P Also, I'm not technically cheating because it's now past midnight in Eastern Standard Time. (An hour's worth of jet lag plus getting up at a normal person time rather than sleeping until noon like I have been for the past month is going to make Monday morning real fun. -_- )

First up, the chocolate custard and meringue pie I made for Pi Day this year! It keeps for a surprisingly long time when frozen, and is delicious fresh, frozen, and slightly less frozen...it never gets a chance to fully thaw because I always get impatient and eat it before then. And it was my first attempt at both a custard pie and a meringue, so yay. Also, this is a Dropbox picture, which a lot of the time AVEN doesn't like, so to prevent having a broken image here's the actual link instead.

Next, in honor of me finally getting the heck out of Dodge Florida, here's a specialty of a local shop whose delightfully absurd and cumbersome name is only topped by the delightfulness of the pastry itself... I present the Florida original, frozen chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick!

ChocolateCoveredKeyLimePie.jpg

And just for kicks, here's the pi/pie shirt I'm wearing for Tau Day, because why not. (Another Dropbox one, so hit the spoiler for the link.)

Edit: I tried to make the Dropbox pics work, really I did. But I'm also on mobile and need sleep, so plain links it is.

Tau Day! :)

Spoilered for geeky stupidness.

Pi is fun, but since it is only half of what we usually use it for, we can celebrate with two pies.

Since Heart is a Nobel Prize track physicist (for her antimatter work at CERN) likely to also win the Fields Medal, we can celebrate with the Riemann Zeta function (Heart will solve the Riemann Hypothesis, or RH, within 10 years and that is what will win her the Fields).

Firstly, the focus on the RH is the location of the zeros of the Riemann Zeta function. There are trivial and non-trivial zeros. Let us look at one zeta equation:

ddcbd58d5a228364ab9da20f5cd59495.png

We have some Pi's in the equation, and we can see that this will go to zero whenever the sine function equals zero, and that is when "s" (and "s" is a complex number) is equal to -2, -4, -6, -8, etc. That is, whenever the numerator in the sine function is a multiple of minus Tau.

These are the "trivial zeros" of the function. They need Tau's, not just Pi's.

Further, if we take the derivative of the zeta function and evaluate them at these trivial zeros, we get results with Tau's. For instance:

taus.jpg

Positive even numbers also give values determined from Tau (due to the two pi in the equation):

1ac2fe4a57481a891fff2dfffe2cb19c.png

The non-trivial zeros are the interesting numbers. The first three are 0.5 + 14.134725141...i, 0.5 + 21.0220396387...i, and 0.5 + 25.0108575801...

Note that the real parts are all one half (0.5 exactly) and the imaginary parts are irrational. Heart will prove that the real part of every non-trivial zero is one half (that is important).

Also, the values of the imaginary parts of the zeta zeros (14.134725141..., 21.0220396387..., 25.0108575801..., and so on) are very important, since one can obtain the prime numbers from them. That is a little more in-depth, but come over and we will share a bottle of wine and I can show it to you. :)

Anyway, we know that Pi R square, and cake are round, so for the sake of Tau Day in AVEN, let us define, since Pi only covers half of a round cake:

:cake: = Tau

Pi = half circle or :cake: /2

So, we can look for two Pi's in the solution for the zeros of the zeta function.

Using another (but fully functional) equation for the zeta function:

e2730bb09c486aef157bfda8bc92fdef.png

And solving it at the first non-trivial zero (0.5 + 14.134725141...i), we have, for the first 50 complete terms:

pi1.jpg

pi2.jpg

These solutions draw, basically, semicircles, or pies.

We can also make a solution to the first zero a sum of pie slices. Using:

NumberedEquation11.gif

Which is a much simpler formula (but does not converge nearly as rapidly as the previous equation). However, it only works if the real part of "s" is greater than zero. But since the main action is where the real part equals one half, this is good enough.

Solving it at the first non-trivial zero, we have, for the first 100 complete terms:

pi3.jpg

pi4.jpg

Zooming in, we have:

pi5.jpg

pi6.jpg

What we have are slices of pie (triangles) rotating in a circle (Tau) and converging in on the magic zero.

Anyway...

Posting two pies is mandatory! :)

FYWI00LGLHRYUTQ.MEDIUM.jpg

pizza4.jpg

Lastly...

Oh my goodness, I am so speachless with ... I don't even know the word for this emotion! The most awesome amazing beautiful wonderful emotion there is!!!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

I shall post pics of the pies I made too in a bit, I have to get them off a friend's phone because I am camera-less and phone-less at the moment :D

Love you guys. Seriously. There is no winner any more, because you guys are so awesome you broke my awesome meter. How could you? :P

nerdperson777

This thread is so active and I didn't realize. I didn't even know about IBs until I saw them on college apps. I only have 5 AP courses to show for it. The only thing I have to show for is a 5 in Calculus AB. :unsure: I used that to convince my parents to get me a new computer case, which I used to break my computer and then fix it by buying a new motherboard and PSU. :wacko:

The ultimate nerd thread! Bring it! (In my physics class, my professor had one of the XKCD comics in the lecture slides.)

complex_conjugate.png

littlepersonparadox

Ok i know i'm late to the tau party. Like almost 2 days late. But i spend tau (yesterday) in my own way by having 2 friends over at the same time. Steph and a awesome friend of mine whos a queer ally. I met her at all girls summers camp & she was the 1 good thing out of it. I came out to her as genderfluid eary on and she constantly checked prnouns when we were having long conversations. I'm NEVER letting her go!

Anyway for those of you who might not have seen it:

and

enjoy

Awesome stuff, people. <3

This is eatable and describes the superiority of Tau:

6983216611_88b14666ae_b.jpg

Dodecahedron314

*insert obligatory explanation that I won't be able to AVEN anywhere near as much as I have previously because college*

Random thing I thought might be related to this thread: one of my new friends here is another gender-nonconforming ace who's really into physics and math! What are the odds? (Rhetorical question, I think I actually worked out most of the probability at one point, I don't remember what it was though.) I neglected to ask if they're on AVEN...hmm, I should do that sometime, because maybe they would find this thread interesting.

You totally should invite them to this thread Dodec! And Kelly, Paradox, Nerd, all you people are so awesome I'm not even able to keep up. It's been another twelve hour day at CERN, but I'll be back in pie-eating action on the weekend, and then I'll get around to uploading my picture of my pie :D (I made two, but I got too excited and served the first one before anyone got a picture of it :P )

littlepersonparadox

You totally should invite them to this thread Dodec! And Kelly, Paradox, Nerd, all you people are so awesome I'm not even able to keep up. It's been another twelve hour day at CERN, but I'll be back in pie-eating action on the weekend, and then I'll get around to uploading my picture of my pie :D (I made two, but I got too excited and served the first one before anyone got a picture of it :P )

Spoken like a true math nerd heart <3

Spoken like a true math nerd heart <3

<3

Awesomeness is our middle name :D

TauDayPie.jpg

MASSIVE thanks and cake to Mic for helping me upload this!!!

Tau day was celebrated in style with two apple pies: one was made in a traditional manner, with one type of apple, cinnamon and sugar. The other, pictured here, was made with three different types of apple, including granny smith for flavour, and caramel, cinnamon, walnuts and lemon juice. I went wild with the experiment, and it actually turned out amazingly :D

This is a picture taken after eating the first pie, and sitting on the balcony in my apartment with friends, waiting for this one to cool down so we could eat it too ;)

Edit: This floated across my facebook feed, and with all the math and pie around here, I felt the need to share :D

math-demotivational-posters1.jpg

I think we need a new math thread! (Thanks, Heart, for pointing me at this thread...)

Firstly, the focus on the RH is the location of the zeros of the Riemann Zeta function. There are trivial and non-trivial zeros. Let us look at one zeta equation:

We have some Pi's in the equation, and we can see that this will go to zero whenever the sine function equals zero, and that is when "s" (and "s" is a complex number) is equal to -2, -4, -6, -8, etc. That is, whenever the numerator in the sine function is a multiple of minus Tau.

Further, if we take the derivative of the zeta function and evaluate them at these trivial zeros, we get results with Tau's. For instance:

taus.jpg

If I didn't make an error the general version of the first two equations is

zeta'(-2n) = (-1)^n(2n)!/(2*tau^(2n)) zeta(1+2n) for integer n > 0

(sorry for not doing Latex).

This follows from the reflection formula that Kelly wrote down earlier.

Calculating zeta'(0) seems a bit trickier but I think it follows from the alternating series Kelly wrote down later along with the Wallis product for pi.

Positive even numbers also give values determined from Tau (due to the two pi in the equation):

1ac2fe4a57481a891fff2dfffe2cb19c.png

If anyone wants to try and prove this, here's a hint. Start with the equation

cot x = 1/x + sum_(r=1...inf) [1/(x-r*pi) + 1/(x+r*pi)]

(This formula follows by logarithmically differentiating Euler's sine product.)

From here you just need to differentiate. Differentiating both sides and analysing the x->0 behaviour gives you, with some algebra, zeta(2) = pi^2/6.

To get the general relation for zeta(2n) that Kelly wrote down you might want to make use of the definition of the Bernoulli numbers as the following generating function:

x/(e^x - 1) = sum_r B_r x^r/r!

Two further exercises: can you derive zeta(-2n-1) - i.e. the value of zeta at the negative odd integers? Hint: Kelly's reflection formula again! Also can you get the values of:

1/1^3 - 1/3^3 + 1/5^3 - ...

1/1^5 - 1/3^5 + 1/5^5 - ...

?

One final small puzzle: as Kelly writes

Why doesn't this show that zeta has trivial zeroes at the *positive* even integers too? After all the sine function in that formula does go to 0 at these values too...

Archived