:O!

Noky

So, I actually swooned today. It was like, for one second, and I really tried to keep the moment but then my anxiety kicked back in and I went back to feeling nothing.

Le Sigh, it was nice while it lasted though, I remember feeling that way once but just barely, it was long ago but it was carefree too, and nice ^^.

I was unaware swooning was a thing. I am not sure how emotions are for you but for a long time I lost them and felt nothing, which is worse than even negative emotions to me. I learned to feel them again over time. Carefully and slowly.

Kappamaki

You swooned!?!

Okay, please describe what that was like. I'm actually really curious. How could anyone get emotional in a way that causes fainting? It doesn't make any sense to me! Fainting is caused mostly by low blood pressure around the brain - how would emotions affect this? Is it just strong emotions in general, or is it certain kinds of emotions - like surprise?

Or perhaps it's actually the act of fainting that causes this emotional rush through an altered state of mind, in which case you could replicate the effect by strangling yourself (I strongly dis-recommend this, as it can lead to permanent and even fatal damage). So... which came first, the emotions or the physical act of swooning?

I wonder if there scientific studies on the connection between fainting and emotion in swooning. I'm not sure how one would set up the conditions for an experiment to collect data, but this seems like the sort of thing it would be good to know about.

I was unaware swooning was a thing. I am not sure how emotions are for you but for a long time I lost them and felt nothing, which is worse than even negative emotions to me. I learned to feel them again over time. Carefully and slowly.

This.

Mine came back more or less over a short period thank God, but for a horrible, horrible, horrible half a year I thought that I was dead. It was inexplicably and most undeniably, exquisitely horrible.

But yeah, 'love' is something I've never really done, so anything close to that is maybe still 99% locked off. Like said on this site somewhere else I can just about bring myself to say hi to total strangers, but if I'm interested in them... I'd be lucky if all I did was look like a completely idiot somehow.

You swooned!?!

How could anyone get emotional in a way that causes fainting?

Had to double-check but, yes, I'm not all gone yet, it can also just mean to be 'overcome with adoration or admiration', the fainting thing is not mandatory, and definitely not what I'd been going for, sorry!

But yeah, fainting, or syncope, is a transient loss of consciousness with associated loss of postural tone... and some other stuff I'm forgetting (self-esteem-40 again, etc.).

It's basically always caused by fall in blood-pressure, one way or another, and you basically knock-out for a while and drop, anything else isn't technically real syncope (can't find my bloody definition, where did I write it? -___-).

Anyway, one of the long list of causes for the fall in blood-pressure leading to loss of consciousness, is extreme emotional states. A term for a lot of the common things that actually caused syncope is actually vaso-vagal syndrome, and basically it means that your vagus nerve, the one that can lower your heart rate, is stimulated, which obviously leads to decreased blood pressure, and in some people, fainting.

The vagus nerve can be stimulated in a lot of ways, but extreme emotions are one of them (I'm not remembering the exact word used, but most of the examples were about anxiety). Anyway, that's why most of the people you see fainting in movies do it out of fear, there's also some psychological stimulus that's kind of like emotion but not really? Like seeing blood, I don't think it was classified under fear but, it had something to do with strong emotions again associated witht he site of it that basically screwed with your psyche and sent you into LOC.

So yeah, research actually has been done. Specifically how emotions interact with vagal stimulation I really cannot remember, but the connection is there somewhere, and some people are just most susceptible for a varied reasons I guess.

Btw- the strangulation euphoria you're talking about, isn't derived from fainting, so much, in that you don't have to faint to do it. It's actually just the lowered oxygen levels in the blood being transmitted to your brain that cause the Euphoria. It's been used in S&M practices for a whiiiile before most of us, but it can get extremely dangerous and even then a lot of people used to die, especially if they tdid it while they masturbated, so no one else was there to help. That particular one is called erotic asphyxiation.

Swooning means to become faint or extatic from extreme emotion. (not necessarily fainting but feeling faint)

Typically felt with limerence; infatuated or obsessed and desiring reciprocation.

Swooning means to become faint or extatic from extreme emotion. (not necessarily fainting but feeling faint)

Typically felt with limerence; infatuated or obsessed and desiring reciprocation.

OMG, I don't think it was that bad either... wait no it was, that definition is right :redface:

This.

Mine came back more or less over a short period thank God, but for a horrible, horrible, horrible half a year I thought that I was dead. It was inexplicably and most undeniably, exquisitely horrible.

But yeah, 'love' is something I've never really done, so anything close to that is maybe still 99% locked off. Like said on this site somewhere else I can just about bring myself to say hi to total strangers, but if I'm interested in them... I'd be lucky if all I did was look like a completely idiot somehow.

For me it lasted years. I can not ever remember how long. It started going downhill when I was five and did not really heal until (if it is even accurate to say I am fully healed. I think I still have healing to do.) maybe a year or two ago (I am 20), but the amount of time I was without any emotion at all was maybe 5 years or so. Truly it was hell. Nothing is fun, because there is no joy, nothing has meaning, because there is no emotion. Everything become robotic, repetitive and feels meaningless. Simple questions like why eat? why get out of bed? why even take another step? Why do anything at all? became unanswerable. It takes to much effort to do that and I do not get anything out of it. I invented some excuses so I do not die and as long as I did not think about it it was at least enough to keep me alive. Pretty much five years of everything feeling like that. Then when I finally got them back, it started with the worst emotions: Depression, rage, hatred, emotional pain beyond what I would wish upon anybody ever. I try to look at it as a positive thing because I guess I gained strength from it in the end, but still it was bad, really really bad. I would not want to ever go back to that.

As for love, I have experienced many different kinds of love, but I have yet to get to delve into romantic love. It does not help that I went though the fear of dating. For some reason I could not say a word as soon as it even got close to asking somebody I was interested in. What really helped was a friend of mine who told m how everybody is just as afraid when asked, so we are all on the same playing field. Simple logic but it really did help me alot.

Yeah, ppl have told me that too, unfortunately my fear about hat stuff is too blown out of proportion to respond to anything except slow, barely perceptible change. It's better than nothing though.

Sorry you felt that way for so long.

Archived