Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

6 hours ago, Tanwen said:

Advice from the RSPB (and I don't think American birds will be any different :) 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rspb-news/news/284908-feeding-birds-in-summer-mythbusting

Thanks

I didn't see them mention suet specifically. So I googled and it looks like suet is good year round, but may need a non-melting version for warmer seasons.

• Like 4

Today, I have had visits, encounters or some other kind of interactions with a pregnant mule deer (twice), a curious bull moose (twice), a resident rock chuck (marmot) who was chirping all afternoon,  numerous birds, and a snake.  The snake was all coiled up under a metal pan I was picking up.  He just stayed there while I studied him and then he slithered into the rock wall.  It was a very plain, garden variety non-harmless creature, that extended to two feet long when he slithered off.  Through all of these sighting and encounters, not one dog chase or even barking!

• Like 6

I'm slightly jealous. My mom saw a chickadee fledgling this morning. She took a picture on her phone, and although it's fuzzy, the little bird is so cute. 

• Like 6

Today, I hung out with mountain bluebirds, robins, sparrows and a prolonged encounter with a red tailed hawk.  Watched it through the binoculars for 10 min or so.   He was perched on the uppermost branch of a dead lodgepole pine tree, overlooking the river, and was able to turn its head 180 degrees!   The beaks and talons of a hawk are surely built for battle! 

• Like 6

A little light avian entertainment. Whilst on a tube train a pigeon boarded at one station, strutted around the carriage, and exited at the next stop, many a silent chuckle and acknowledging glances amongst passengers 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

A little light avian entertainment. Whilst on a tube train a pigeon boarded at one station, strutted around the carriage, and exited at the next stop, many a silent chuckle and acknowledging glances amongst passengers 

One of those stunt pigeons we hear about? ;)

• Like 5

I've heard about pigeons riding the Tube. Apparently stray dogs in Moscow have also developed this behavior.

• Like 5

I visited a nature reserve today, and saw beautiful dragonflies, the four spotted chaser and the broad bodied chaser.  There were quite a few birds around, notably marsh harriers and a garganey drake.  The huge skies of the fenland were beautiful, blue with wispy white clouds for most of the day.

• Like 4

The blue-tits have been bringing their fleglings to the garden over the past few days - they like the suet coconut and the suet sprinkles.

I saw a male and female bullfinch in the garden yesterday - rare visitors for me.  They were perched on either side of the sunflower heart feeded.

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

We've had an increase in rabbit numbers over summer and autumn. We used to have a fox around here, but I haven't seen it for some months (wouldn't be surprised if someone shot it - most of the neighbours have chickens, and I think we're the only ones that keep the chickens in a large fenced field. The chickens on the nearby properties seems to roam free - in fact, I've seen them wandering on our land. I'd rather protect my chickens and leave the fox alone, but everyone doesn't see it that way :rolleyes:. Anyway, in spring we had quite a lot of tiny, cute baby rabbits, but of course they do grow up, and now we have some pretty large, fat ones. Summer was a good season, with lots of rain and plenty of soft green grass: I don't grudge them a bit of grass, but I do draw the line at my veg gardens  (although we haven't lost much so far, and from the pattern of attack I actually think the kangaroos are more likely culprits.) Yesterday I spotted two fat rabbits lurking near the raised beds, so I wandered down the slope, and the rabbits made a leisurely move, a few metres ahead of me, then sat down to wait and see what I'd do. We went on like this, a few metres at a time,  until I finally saw them off the property . . . cheeeky little devils! :lol:

• Like 7

The Foxes in England may be safer for a little while at least.....

• Like 5

Urban foxes are, rural ones no, because there's more way to kill a fox than an organised hunt 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The woodpeckers are visitng the feeders with a juvenile.  The young have a red cap and are very striking.  

Picture not mine.  Just added to show how stunning they are.

Image result for juvenile greater spotted woodpecker pic

• Like 5

Hundreds of fire-flies put on amazing display, last night.

Went to go to a Dr. appt., and a kitten was next to my pickup. it ducked underneath, and disappeared.

I opened my hood, and there were 4 feral kittens on my engine! :o *Thank goodness, I didn't use my remote to start my truck!!*

They freaked, and jumped off, before I could grab any of them.

On the way back, a beautiful turtle was crossing the street. I set my flashers, walked it across, and lifted it over the curb.

• Like 6

A bald eagle visits a park behind my subdivision.  I had seen it out on the islands, which are kind of far away for good photos.  Finally caught it up in the trees tonight and was super excited.

19429674_1574837389196071_41423775411947

Edited by GeoAmy
  • Like 7
13 minutes ago, GeoAmy said:

A bald eagle visits a park behind my subdivision.  I had seen it out on the islands, which are kind of far away for good photos.  Finally caught it up in the trees tonight and was super excited.

19429674_1574837389196071_41423775411947

Wow! Great photo!

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

Fabulous photo, @GeoAmy - I love bald eagles :D Do you follow the Decorah eagles? (I used to, but somehow I lost touch - I hope they're still going strong!)

• Like 4

I saw a black bear yesterday morning, on my drive to work. It was right in a neighborhood only a few blocks from my house--at first I thought it was a very large dog walking down a driveway, then saw that it was a bear! It went up on a porch, then ambled off again.I guess there have been lots of sightings of this (one?) bear over the past couple of weeks. I'm so glad that I wasn't out walking my dogs.... I have never seen a bear in the "wild" before! I swung back around to the little market a few doors down to alert them, and also called the police just to let them know of the sighting. The officer seemed very unconcerned ("Yeah, we'll send a patrol car, but that bear has been hanging around a lot") but geez, it was a very populated area. Thank goodness classes are out for the summer, as the nearest school is only a block away and it would have been the time the kids were walking there. Sorry, no pictures! 

• Like 5

I went for a nice walk along one of the local footpaths (paved, winds through some wetlands, along creeks/river, between residential areas - in some places there are apartments and house backyards right next to the trail). Spent over an hour walking, at least 3 miles, but probably less than 4. Other than the usual songbirds and crows and such the only other noteworthy wildlife I saw were several ducks curled up right next to the path at one spot. I was probably as close as a couple of feet/maybe a yard as I walked past. They watched, but didn't make any move to get away. Must be used to people walking past them (and even some dogs and strollers and bicycles as I saw all of those as I walked the path).

• Like 3

@Autumn Sunrise Thanks!  No, I don't follow those eagles.  Do they have a webcam on the next?  I think my wildlife rehab friend in Perth has followed them. 

@daveb Thanks!  

I just started more serious photography last november with the purchase of a nice camera.  I find it is a good tool to get me off the couch!  And I just have to go around the corner for great birds.  I think i've seen over 2 dozen different birds in that park, which is great for an area that's primarily flood control.  They did a good job of turning it into wildlife habit with a nice trail around it the ponds.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, GeoAmy said:

I think i've seen over 2 dozen different birds in that park, which is great for an area that's primarily flood control.  They did a good job of turning it into wildlife habit with a nice trail around it the ponds.

There's a park like that a few miles down the road from where I live, and I saw a bald eagle there, too. But it was much farther away. The only way I knew it was a bald eagle was I could see the white head when it turned certain ways. At that park/preserve they raise/lower the water levels at different times of the year to mimic the natural patterns.

Oh, I forgot! I also saw hawk sitting on top of a light pole while I was out walking, too. I walked right past the light pole so I got a pretty view of the hawk. I think it was an adolescent, but one of the bigger species (definitely not a sparrowhawk). :)

• Like 2

@Tja how kind of you to help that turtle across the road!  Why did the turtle cross the road in the first place?  And about those fireflies - what a spectacle.  I have never seen fireflies make fire.  Hell, I have never even seen a firefly that I am aware of.

@GeoAmy what a fantastic photo of that beautiful bird!  Such crisp details......

@teatree It sounds like living with bears is no big deal according to your authorities.  It is a big deal around here, and they usually get themselves shot for the smallest threat or misbehavior.  Bear mischief is simply not tolerated.   I live on the Bear River and I have never seen a wild bear around here.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Hell, I have never even seen a firefly that I am aware of.

Here ya go...

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Why did the turtle cross the road in the first place?

To get to the other side, of course.:P

• Like 2

@Tja that firefly video was interesting.  I thought they just stayed all lit up and flew around - didn't know they just flashed random lights - it doesn't look like they can control when they fire up.  Not what I expected.   And *ding# ding# ding*, you got the right answer for my turtle question!

• Like 2

Actually, @Muledeer, the lights flash in a timed pattern. Though, I'm not certain how this pattern helps them find their mate.

It seems that oxygen is combined with a chemical in their cells which trigger the light.

Scientists aren't sure if the lights are turned on by their controlling the oxygen intake, or through nerve cells.

It is a controlled behavior, though.

*It's just past gloaming here, and they've started to come out* :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tja said:

*It's just past gloaming here, and they've started to come out* :)

gloaming = the time between sunset and dark.  I had to google that one.  Thanks for a new word that I will actually use because that is one of my favorite times of the day.  In just a half an hour, it will be gloaming in Wyoming.

• Like 2

There's an old Scottish song, "Roamin' in the Gloamin'".

• Like 3