Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

That's pretty impressive, Sky.

I saw a snow goose today while walking around a lake. They're not know to migrate here, so the sighting came as a pleasant surprise.

• Like 6

Did you ever read the story, The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico? It's pretty good. He wrote several books/stories I like, including The Silent Miaow and Honorable Cat. Although it's been ages since I read any of his works.

• Like 3

I couldn't find that picture.

Anyway, I came home from work to see a chickadee on my feeder eating the suet! Finally! 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, LVG said:

I couldn't find that picture.

Well, I just clicked on that link and it wasn't there!  They changed the original photo that was posted with that article.  It was a great photo of a deer just standing inside the front door of someone's home. 

• Like 2

I saw the picture of the deer inside the house, looking like "wtf is all this?". :P (when it was first posted here)

• Like 4

I saw the red squirrel! It was on the bird feeder at 6.30am, and it was very beautiful. Made my early morning insomnia on a public holiday actually seem like a good thing!

I have a trail camera that is pointed at the feeders, which I used for the first time in several months this week. As a result, I knew that Squirrel had been on the feeders yesterday. (I found that I had some shots that show parts of the squirrel: white belly, tufted ears... I have no pictures that show the whole animal...yet. The thing is, because the squirrel comes up from the ground and climbs the pole, I don't think it sets off the motion sensors, so I'll only ever get pictures if a bird happened to fly past at the same time.) Somehow, though, knowing it was there and seeing it with my own eyes are quite different things, and I had fabulous views this morning. :)

• Like 5

@Tystie I have found that creatures as small as birds and squirrels need to be fairly close to the camera in order to trigger the motion sensor.  Once I set a camera less than two meters from a robins' nest and it captured a lot of their activity.  I set it on video mode and got some great shots of both parents feeding their young.  I didn't know that male birds also tended the nest until then.  I wish there was a good way to post video clips here and I would share it with you. 

• Like 6

Went a walk yesterday and saw my first bluebells of the year :)  It was cold, windy and rainy (it was a bank holiday after all), but it was great to get out in the fresh air and have some space.  Saw lots of tiny lambs - looking a bit chilly!

• Like 6

Red%20squirrel%2015042017%20v1_zps7qhiis

The red squirrel, caught on camera this morning. :)

@BlackthornI was thinking just a couple of days ago that the bluebells won't be long now. I suspect that yours are going to be a few weeks earlier than ours, but you've inspired me to go looking! Bluebells are one of my favourite things about spring.

Our fields are also suddenly full of lambs. They are still all new and small enough to be cute and cuddly looking. It's almost a pity that they turn into sheep!

We have a field of black sheep near us. The lambs are delightful. As they grow, their horns begin to develop, and for a while they look like the cutest little devil lambs. They're almost comical.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, AspieAngel said:

April the giraffe finally gave birth this morning and it's a boy!!!

I watched it. It was wonderful!!

• Like 5

I've been having issues with a squirrel going after the berry suet. I've had to chase it off twice now. However, I finally just saw a woodpecker eating the suet. Then I had a robin trying to go after it too but couldn't figure out how to cling to the sides of the cage. I kind of felt sorry for it, but it was funny to watch. 

• Like 6

Thinkin of hiking into the woods tomorrow and seein what's growin, maybe collect some bones too :>. Making mourning dove calls again as well.

• Like 5

Just had a couple of Great Tits chirrupping on the fence whilst I was pegging out washing. Happily the furries took no interest. 

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Tystie said:

Red%20squirrel%2015042017%20v1_zps7qhiis

The red squirrel, caught on camera this morning. :)

@BlackthornI was thinking just a couple of days ago that the bluebells won't be long now. I suspect that yours are going to be a few weeks earlier than ours, but you've inspired me to go looking! Bluebells are one of my favourite things about spring.

Our fields are also suddenly full of lambs. They are still all new and small enough to be cute and cuddly looking. It's almost a pity that they turn into sheep!

We have a field of black sheep near us. The lambs are delightful. As they grow, their horns begin to develop, and for a while they look like the cutest little devil lambs. They're almost comical.

Red squirrels, wow. :o  So jealous.  The greys here are quite comical to watch, but also a nuisance as they destroy feeders and take more than their fair share of bird food.

• Like 6

I don't mind visits from the greys.  I know they are Victorian invaders, but they don't realise that.  I think it is really important that we try and save the red squirrel population where we can though.

There was something on the news the other week about Prince Charles suggesting that grey squirrels should be sterilized by giving them laced nutella - it could have been an April Fools' joke though <_<

• Like 4

Plants can be fun to look at and pick if you know them, but caution is needed.

• Like 6

The Hedgehog is back :):)

So happy as my neighbour fenced her garden off over the winter so I didn't think it would be able to get through to my garden. 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
AspieAngel

I was just reading some random stuff on the net being bored... Since I don't do make-up I had forgotten about this handy little tool we used often at the wildlife rescues... Any mascara users on here??? Check with your local wildlife rescues to see if they need or use the mascara wands.  save the wands from your used or old mascara tubes. Wash them in warm soapy water and send them to them in a ziploc bag. They use them to remove fly eggs and larva from the fur. Also,if you are in the donating mode, they are always in need of other things (old blankets, sheets, that random pillow case always left in the linen closet, even  Dawn original dishwashing liquid, and many other things) Even your local dog and cat rescues can also use these things. Check with them to see what their needs are. Many of us are spring cleaning once a year. Just something to keep in mind. :) 

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2017-04-28-at-11.23-850x831.jpeg

On a separate note, I have some Canada Geese wandering about in front of my apartment. Messy buggers. Its a mild rainy week here in Ohio. Flooding here and there. Saw a baby grey squirrel yesterday, I wish I had a camera. Soooooooo cute.  

• Like 7
Myssterry

The sun came out briefly bringing the temperature up to something like Spring.  The little solar fountain in the pond had started up, the fish were lurking around waiting for their food and there were birds everywhere.  The robin had a beakful of food, so presumably has chicks to feed in a nest somewhere, the great tit was taking food to his nest in the nesting box on the apple tree, and there were baby long-tailed tits everywhere.  Too many to count.  Judging by their not very confident flying skills, and their very downy appearance, they had just fledged.  Wonderful moment, to be surrounded by such beauty and hear their calls all around me. 

• Like 6

Nice, @Mz Terry!

I saw a beautiful red wing blackbird while driving to a job today.:)

• Like 5

Looks like we have several little fish (dark and gold) in our pond/water feature in my backyard. :)

• Like 4

Any time I come across a body of water, especially creeks and streams, I always look for fish. A lot of creeks and streams around here are polluted by mine subsidence, so when I see fish or even tadpoles swimming around, it makes me happy to know the water can sustain life. The good news is more and more waterways in the area are being cleaned up.  

• Like 6

This is an artificial water feature (but has water running through it so it's not just a static feature). I can only think the fish must've been hibernating during the colder days and the warmth of yesterday and today has made them more active. I'm surprised cats and birds and other wildlife haven't gotten to them, but that's good that they seem to be thriving there.

• Like 4
Blackthorn

My small garden is busy with birds at the moment - starlings, sparrows and blue-tits in particular.  They are keeping me busy making sure all the feeders are topped up!

• Like 7
divided_sky

Posting to remind myself to post bird pictures later

• Like 4