Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

My darling dog had a close encounter with a skunk a few nights ago.  We have been living in Hawaii for several years.  Maybe he forgot the rule about leaving the black kitties with fluffy tails and a white stripe alone.  Hawaii had centipedes but at least no skunks.  

The skunk was trying to get into my trash can when the dog ran it off getting a bit of "side spray" but not a direct hit.  He did manage to rub skunk smell all over the inside of the house before I could get him cleaned up.  Urg.

• Like 6

The weather has been pretty cold here lately and I have been getting a lot of bird visitors to the garden :) A flock of around 8 goldfinches comes every day - they love the sunflower seed feeders.  The blackbirds have been getting the berries off the elder tree.  I also had a visit from a female greenfinch the other day - the first I have seen in my garden.  The robin also continues to visit regularly.

• Like 4

I saw a Brewer's black bird for the first time while in Las Vegas last week. I realize they're extremely common out West, but we don't have them in East, so it was pretty cool. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, LVG said:

Brewer's black bird

Cool :)

I noticed a bright white light out of the corner of my eye a little while ago, through the window. Then I realized it was the "super moon". :)

• Like 1
Elftober Country

I saw a rather large bird of prey today. It was brown with a cream / white breast with brown spots. What was it?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Octo Claus said:

I saw a rather large bird of prey today. It was brown with a cream / white breast with brown spots. What was it?

It probably depends on where in the world you are, but I think there are plenty of eagles, and even some hawks and owls that could fit that description. :)

• Like 2
Elftober Country
8 minutes ago, daveb said:

It probably depends on where in the world you are, but I think there are plenty of eagles, and even some hawks and owls that could fit that description. :)

I'm in the UK (Midlands) it wasn't an owl. After some googling, I think it may have been a sparrowhawk?

I think it looked like this - minus the blood :) 

IMG_7698.JPG

• Like 2
Elftober Country
Just now, daveb said:

Sparrowhawks are one of the smaller birds of prey. :) 

Bigger than a kestrel though? I dunno, I only caught a glimpse of it, looked big to little ol' me :) 

• Like 1
Elftober Country

Could have been a harrier hawk? Do we have em here?

• Like 1
Elftober Country

Looked more like this...

BB-hharrier-8.jpg

• Like 1

I think Kestrels and Sparrowhawks aren't much different in size. Sparrowhawks may get slightly larger. Maybe what you saw was a Peregrine Falcon? They are widespread in the British Isles and Europe.

• Like 1

the most common around here (which is easy travelling distance to you, as you know :P ) are buzzards.

And they could well fit your description (of the bird, not yourself, obviously)

• Like 2
Elftober Country
1 minute ago, Midland Tyke said:

the most common around here (which is easy travelling distance to you, as you know :P ) are buzzards.

And they could well fit your description (of the bird, not yourself, obviously)

Octo requests stalker provide a photo (of buzzard, not Octo)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Octo Claus said:

Yup. I think it was probably a buzzard. 

Yeah! Anything else I can help you with?!?

• Like 2
Elftober Country

Yeah! Anything else I can help you with?!?

Yes, I've got this boil......:ph34r:

• Like 1
Elftober Country

I'll send Sir Lancelot

You witty little shit ;) 

• Like 1
Elftober Country

"sweets to the sweet" :ph34r:

• Like 1
Elftober Country

No, you're a loaf. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 12:30 AM, Octo Claus said:

Yup. I think it was probably a buzzard. 

We have a pair of buzzards round here - watching them ride the thermals is something magical. I thought they were slightly larger than a hawk though. 

• Like 3

Stepped out of my truck, and watched a stag and 3 doe, come running past me.

They were on a small hillside, behind where I parked, weaving through some trees. Beautiful! :)

• Like 6

Don't know if there's a reason for it or they're just doing it for fun :) 
*Quality not too good in parts but hopefully still enjoyable *

• Like 4

Driving through the Suffolk countryside late last night we saw a Great Owl stalking the hedgerows. It's possibly the first time I've ever seen one that close 

• Like 8