The Black Ring

Hello all, I was wondering how many of you have a black ring and how often you wear it? What does your ring look like? Has anyone ever recognized what is was? Also why do you personally wear it? (in the hopes someone will recognize it, as a conversation piece, etc.)

I'm quite new to this whole thing and just wondering what everyone else does. :)

Thanks in advance! :cake:

DandelionFairy

I wear a dark grey one as I am grey-asexual... my girlfriend bought it for me today actually... I doubt anyone will recognise what it is as there are so many black/dark grey rings around, but that is not why I wanted one anyway... for me it is more about reminding myself that it's okay to be ace and accept who I am ^_^ :cake:

10995682_10152731530731316_4219821202514

I wear my ace ring all the time. I can't even think of a time this year when I took it off. Mine is a shiny black steel ring, though a lot people use tungsten rings I think. There's a lot of variety in what people use for black rings. Before I got the ring I have now, I used to use a silver ring with a black gemstone.

I'm part of an asexual and aromantic club on my campus and the people there recognized my ring, but I haven't had anyone recognize it outside of that group.

I wear my ring primarily as a reminder that my identity is valid and that I'm not alone. ^_^ It certainly would be cool if I accidentally met another ace who recognized the ring, but that's not the main reason I wear it.

ElectricMongoose

I wear mine everyday! I love the way it feels and looks. I got mine inscribed with a dolphin because Dolphins to me represent friendship and a strong bond I would love to have with other people. They are very friendly and accepting to other creatures and have been known to adopt or take in other types of dolphins and animals.

41pJJEO.jpg?1

hV8tdBw.jpg?1

I've been wearing a black ring since last summer, so almost a year now. Mine is a simple one that I made myself out of string and black beads. I keep meaning to get a nicer one, but I can never find one that I like, so I've stuck with homemade rings for a while now.

I personally don't wear mine as a way to get recognized as ace or anything like that. Perhaps one day someone will recognize me, and that will be a cool bonus, but so far it hasn't happened. I wear it mainly as a reminder to myself that it's okay for me to be different than my peers, and that there is a whole community of people that feels the same way I do. It makes me feel connected to something larger than myself, and that is more important to me.

Scottthespy

I wear my ring all day every day, in the hopes some one will ask so that I can spread asexual awareness, and its made of...a zip tie. Seriously, I took a small shiny black zip tie from a dollar store pack of one hundred of them, fit it to a size that can easily be slipped on and off, and trimmed the end as close as I could. I keep the connection point on the inside of my hand, and it looks pretty nice from the outside. Also gives me something to fidget with when I don't have anything to do with my hands. It took a bit of squishing to get the ring to be more circular than tear drop shaped, but it works great, and is a good, durable, and cheap starter for some one who isnt sure how wearing one will feel, or is worried about loosing it.

I've had my simple black ceramic ring since last month and have been wearing every time I go outside. No one ha confronted me about it though, so I guess they don't know. Partially I think it's for the bet as it saves me from being bombarded with questions, but at the same time, since people want me to be less introverted and tell people about myself, this might shut them up for a while.

I wear my ring everyday, only twice have I forgotten it. I have yet for people to recognize what it was.

One time this girl asked me if my boyfriend gave it to me and I responded by saying that I didn't have a boyfriend. After an awkward pause, I knew that she assumed that I was a lesbian... no big deal though. I didn't correct her because I didn't feel like explaining what it meant and she didn't really treat me much differently anyways.

My mom asked me if it symbolized anything and I was hesitant to tell her. Her phone was ringing, but she still wanted me to answer the question. Once I told her it was an "ace ring" she asked what that meant and I said "short for asexual". She picked up her phone and said that she'd talk to me later and she hasn't gotten back to me about the subject since... I'm a little nervous about that...

I wear it for myself really. Not really for anyone else to recognize it... maybe a little, but it's mostly for myself. As a reminder that I'm not alone and that there are other people like me and we really do exist. Here's my ring...

etKmD8Y.jpg

Edit: Goodness, I need to clip my nails. :wacko:

Oh, and also, I got my ring for $10 off amazon... it's cheap, but it's actually a really good ring! And better than getting it from the store for about $50-$100.

1_zpsws6u3sym.jpg

I wear mine all day, every day. It reminds me of all my friends here at AVEN, when I can't be on AVEN. No one has recognized it yet, but I don't really wear it for that. I wear it for me. Plus, I love the LOTR movies.

thatonederpface

I wear mine nearly every day. I forget it about as often as I do my glasses though. Which is to say, like, one day every couple weeks or so. It's mostly just for a sense of security, I guess, knowing that I'm not the only one? It's the same one as Tja, though, so I've also gotten some people asking, "Shouldn't that be gold? And on fire?" Naaahhhhhh :P

EggplantWitch

I got mine for 87p (or US$1.32) from a British Heart Foundation shop, so not only was it cheap all the profits went to charity! Yaaaay.

I'm pretty sure it's made of hematite which everyone says breaks easily, but I've had it for four months and wear it every day and it hasn't even cracked yet. I don't wear it 24/7, though, and I often don't wear it when I'm at home.

Nobody has recognised it yet, but maybe someone will when I go to uni and join the LGBT+ club there ^_^

Mine is black steel with a silver chain around it that I fiddle with constantly. I don't wear it very often because I'm just not used to wearing a ring on that finger anymore. The only person who has recognised it was someone I met on here who I then met in real life :)

Apostle of Carlin

1_zpsws6u3sym.jpg

I wear mine all day, every day. It reminds me of all my friends here at AVEN, when I can't be on AVEN. No one has recognized it yet, but I don't really wear it for that. I wear it for me. Plus, I love the LOTR movies.

You should be wearing that on a chain around your neck.

UnplannedCauli
Mine is a stainless steel thin ring, painted black. The only one I could find that was not huge: because there are no feminine rings in the size needed for my middle finger.
At first I wore it sporadically, now I wear it all the time. It's a kind of charm for me, a reminder that I'm unique and a much better person than my upbringing made me think. Because of time correlation two discoveries about myself are connected in my brain: that I'm asexual and that I'm a narcissist's scapegoat child.

ring.png

Gallantrv2427

My first one was black ceramic--I loved it, but it fell off and broke in half so I replaced it with a steel one. I love my steel one, because my dad is a welder and it reminds me of his friendly and accepting spirit (is my dad a dolphin??) and the strength that steel represents.

1_zpsws6u3sym.jpg

You should be wearing that on a chain around your neck.

Are you making fun of my PRECIOUS!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: ... ;) :P

Feelingalien

I've just gotten one, but it was the wrong size, so I sent it back. I can't wait to get a fitting ring! :)

lostinfiction

I wear mine almost constantly. Its plain black, titanium, but it suits me well.

tumblr_nnhn066B571uqzrs5o1_1280.jpg

A bit off-topic, but I like the fact that you wear ace and aro colored bracelets as well! :)

lostinfiction

A bit off-topic, but I like the fact that you wear ace and aro colored bracelets as well! :)

Haha thanks! That's a more recent development than the ring.

Love the bracelets! :wub: 8)

lostinfiction

Thank you!! I make them myself, it's my current hobby.

So talented! I wish I could make something like these. Just beautiful.

lostinfiction

It's pretty easy! It's just embroidery thread, and I found instructions online.

It's pretty easy! It's just embroidery thread, and I found instructions online.

Hmmm...I shall investigate this. ;)

I love the bracelets I too am an Aro Ace

Back on topic. I have a black tungsten ring that my friend bought me. I also have a black ring for my left ring finger to signify the death of my 2 marriages, lol! Anyway, I wear my ring all the time, to remind me that I'm Ace and proud of it! I have never been asked about my Ace ring, but plenty of people noticed the black ring on my left ring finger. I've explained that I wear it because I'm not interested in getting married again! But I will never say never! Who knows?

I wear my ring everyday, so much that I feel uncomfortable without it on. It's an adjustable bronze ring with a big black stone in the center. Sometimes people compliment me on it, but nobody has ever recognized it as an ace ring, but I don't really care whether people know what it signifies or not.

:O Maybe you could sell them? I would like one or two. I also made an ace scarf and plan on making an ace blanket similar to it.

C5EDyMj.jpg

I just bought my ring today. It's going to signify a lot to me. First, it'll serve as a reminder to myself that I'm not the strangest person in the world because of my utter lack of interest in having sex. Second... I started identifying as asexual during a time when I was seeing beyond my high school's boundaries and into what the real world looks like for the first time, and it was a little scary, but more liberating than anything else. So it'll also serve as a reminder to me that I'm not like the people at my school, and that I don't need to be like them to be a rational, functional human being. I plan to, when I graduate, stop wearing my class ring and start wearing my black ring instead, because the black ring will represent more to me than a ring from a homophobic/transphobic school that I hate does.

Maybe, one day, another ace will recognize it... but that's not why I'm going to wear it. I'm going to wear it for myself- not for anyone else. =)

(Side note: Those bracelets and that scarf are all amazing and I'm honestly kind of jealous of them all right now. XD)