Were you picked on for being A?

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

I was.

The guys who bullied me in school, all tried to convince me I was gay, retarded, sober, unarmed---everything that was considered un-hip for a schoolboy back in the 1980s. The girls in school picked up on this, and for the most part, avoided me because of it.

Lady Heartilly

Um . . . can I ask how people even knew about that? I mean whether or not you have sex, it's not something you would do in front of all your classmates (or at least I'd hope not @_@) so I'm not really sure how anyone would know . . . I didn't even know asexual was a word until about two months ago, and I only told my closest friends . . .

Though I guess you could say I was picked on a little by some slutty cheerleaders who found it amusing how I didn't have many friends or a boyfriend so they decided to play the game of asking me to sit with them and then ask as many personal questions as they could think of until I felt degraded.

No I was picked on because I was the fat, dumb kid.

Highschool though I was just ignored, that was better.

SorryNotSorry

With you, it was the cheerleaders... with me, it was practically all the other guys. Some of them had been having sex since they were 9 or 10... illegal of course, but they still did it.

Vicious Trollop

No... while I'm sure a fair percentage of my peers were sexually active, plenty of us weren't. My whole friend group did not date, and we were all well-liked and accepted. I don't think it stands out that much in high school that you're A, but maybe I was lucky.

No, although I was often picked on for other reasons in elementary and middle school. No one at my high school gives a crap about anything, though. People don't get picked on unless they're generally rude and offensive and set themselves up for it.

I am a bit worried about it in college, though, since supposedly that's all college kids do, besides partying, which I won't be partaking in either. :roll: I guess I'll see when I get there.

Vicious Trollop
I am a bit worried about it in college, though, since supposedly that's all college kids do, besides partying, which I won't be partaking in either. :roll: I guess I'll see when I get there.

It depends on who you hang with. I moved into the honors dorm with 30 other people who didn't have time for sex ;)

I wasn't. Though in my younger days (teens through to late 20s/early 30s) people often suspected I was gay. I guess the idea was that since I expressed no overt interest in women, I must be hiding my interest in men.

Strangely enough, into my 30s and now in my 40s, I get that less and less... except for some of my idiot relatives, half of whom think the reason I'm still single is because I'm gay...

No I was unpopular and picked on but it wasn't to do with that.

It was just my general oddness.

I was picked on and beat up in high school. Being a geeky little weirdo wasn't helping the situation. Many thought I was gay and a-many a-rumours started circulating. They look at the fact you don't look at girls. The fact you don't look at guys either doesn't come into play. Anyhow, before long it was common misknowledge that I was a gay little slut into bathroom shennanigans.

I sure don't miss high school! lol

-Doc

I didn't date at all while in school, but no one picked on me about it. I went to Stuyvesant High School, which has a science emphasis and a tough entrance exam, so there were lots of smart nerdy guys and not a lot of dumb jock types to pick on them. And I think I tended to come across to people as cute and innocent, kind of oblivious to the entire idea of sex; they'd take for granted that I wasn't dating.

I'm kind of an amalgam from the posts above. I really haven't been, so to speak, "picked on" since probably the 6th grade (I'm now a senior); and all of that was so arbitrary. It didn't mean anything. In some other circles, I'm probably thought of as a homosexual because I don't date, but that doesn't bother me. Let them think what they want; I could care less.

Re the upcoming college thing, yeah, I'm in Jesh's position as well but also gunning for the honors dorm. Got any more random stories / information on yours, VT?

I never really fit in or had that many friends at school, and got occasional "gay" comments aimed at me. People didn't really pick on me though, probably because I was bigger than most other people. I'm not a fighter by any means, but it just shows that the kind of people who pick on other kids for such petty reasons will only do so to people who they think are easy targets.

Nope, I've never been isolated for being asexual. I have an idea that this is due to my race and its supposed culture/religion. My friends/acquaintances don't expect me to act like a sexual because they know that Indians are traditionally very conservative with regards to sex, meaning that sex and even romance outside of marriage is scandalous. Most Indians aren't like this nowadays of course but people assumed that I am a traditionalist in this sense. So instead of the question, "How come you don't have a boyfriend?" I more often get "Have your parents found a husband for you yet?" :roll:

I was picked on in high school because I was smart. While being intelligent is good, it is still a kind of deviance and people will pick on others for deviating from the norm.

There are other activities, besides partying and sex, that occur in college. These just seem the most obvious, especially since people are away from parents where they act more freely.

I was picked on and beat up in high school. Being a geeky little weirdo wasn't helping the situation. Many thought I was gay and a-many a-rumours started circulating. They look at the fact you don't look at girls. The fact you don't look at guys either doesn't come into play. Anyhow, before long it was common misknowledge that I was a gay little slut into bathroom shennanigans.

I sure don't miss high school! lol

-Doc

Well, I am in college, and the same thing is still happening; I guess it is not just a high school thing. :roll:

I never really fit in or had that many friends at school, and got occasional "gay" comments aimed at me. People didn't really pick on me though, probably because I was bigger than most other people. I'm not a fighter by any means, but it just shows that the kind of people who pick on other kids for such petty reasons will only do so to people who they think are easy targets.

Unfortunately, that's human nature. Like you, the only people who ever picked on me in high school were bigger than me or those who were popular; somehow, they are justified for being arsehats.

Never picked on for being A, it was for being the slightly chubby and smart kid who wouldn't fight back. Of course the only reason I wouldn't fight back were the academic reprocussions of it.

As for college, while there may be plenty of fornication going around, being A does not seem that big a deal. From my experience, people tend to be more open minded and such. But then again that may just be the people I hang out with.

Never picked on for being A, it was for being the slightly chubby and smart kid who wouldn't fight back. Of course the only reason I wouldn't fight back were the academic reprocussions of it.

I was in the same position as you, except I tried to fight back whenever I could. That never seemed to work, as I was smaller than the other kids and had no idea how to fight back.

Then I hit puberty, and wound up being bigger than the other kids... and they stopped picking on me. Presumably because I had a few inches of height and a few dozen kilos over the others. ("Crush puny humans!")

No, but I wouldn't recommend my way of avoiding it. I have a mild physical disability about which I was teased long before I or my classmates would have been sexually active - the upshot of it was that by the time I made it into secondary school I had completely isolated myself from others (to the point of aggressively rejecting overtures at friendship) with a bad attitude that tended to make people either avoid or pick on me because of it - the sexuality thing did eventually crop up, but by that time I simply didn't care what other people thought of me and it was never used as an excuse for bullying, merely mild teasing as a rather older teenager.

Phil

people gave me shit in school, but when i got older, i gave them shit back. for halloween my senior year of high school, i was "typical." i wore an abercombie and fitch t-shirt, a pair of low cut jeans, flip flops, a blonde wig (made of human hair, borrowed from the drama department), my contact lenses, eye make up, and lip gloss. i carried a little tiny purse and my books in hand. a lot of people got pissed off, and a lot of people didn't know what to say to me. but if people could dress like me and wear thick glasses and call themselves "geeks," why couldn't i dress like them?

Hamster on Caffiene

heh..the first big rumor ever spread about throughout grade school was that I was a lesbian. oh and being fat, smart and not pop culture smart, and not being guy crazy(constant bugging who do i have a crush on), tomboy, being a 'poor' country 'hick'......

I was picked on becasue I was different, I can't say I was picked on because of the specific difference of being asexual.

Though I guess you could say I was picked on a little by some slutty cheerleaders who found it amusing how I didn't have many friends or a boyfriend so they decided to play the game of asking me to sit with them and then ask as many personal questions as they could think of until I felt degraded.

I was in a similar situation in middle school. Only, they focused mostly on asking me who I liked, rather than degrading me with more general personal questions. I told them I didn't like anyone, but they didn't believe me. They asked me about all the boys they could possibly think of, told me that a couple of them thought I was hot just to see my reaction, and tried to set me up with another boy that they constantly picked on. They picked on him much more openly, though, without hiding behind a mask of friendship like they did with me. Eventually they must've concluded I was a lesbian, because they got some girl to ask me out. Had I accepted, I'm sure she would've laughed at me and said she wasn't serious, and from then on I would've been taunted about being a lesbian. :D Fun times.

During high school, though, people thought I was a lesbian but never bothered me about it. All I got was the occasional misguided friendly gesture of people I didn't know and didn't care to know asking me to sit with them, just to prevent me from eating lunch alone, which I was more comfortable with anyway.

I was picked on throughout school for being weird, not for being asexual. I didn't even know there was such a thing until a couple years ago at most and didn't identify as it until several months ago.

But being asexual has caused me grief.

On an unrelated note, there may be another of us out there, so I hear...I was telling a friend from work that I didn't like to be touched, and she said I sounded like her sister, who's been nicknamed Ice Princess (ahem).

I was picked on for some strange reason and that one seems likely, i can't really remember it happened when i was about 8, still the guy who was bothering got payback, i bloodied his nose and gave him a black eye as pay back for beating up on me. I'm never especially violent though and i try never to be its never the best answer :roll:

Meh it's been a strange life :roll:

I was (and still quite am) picked on by my family and schoolmates. Though I have net and phone-call friends who I can discuss many things in which I differ from the people who don't understand me, so I became pretty lethargic to criticism and crudeness... it tells something about a bullier, not about my lacks or qualities.

SorryNotSorry

Update: time wounds all heels. Many of the kids who picked on me throughout school (and even for a short time after high school) found out that being #1 can hardly be listed on the "occupation" line of a tax form. Some of them ended up getting killed, while others, 20 years later, are still in and out of jail.

Heh, I always thought the best way to deal with bullies would have been to skim them from the regular schools, then dump them into a special bullies-only school where they can beat the stuffing out of each other. :twisted:

That was really cruel of them, I must say.

In my own case, I had hell from the men for not being interested in sex at (English) public-school/university, while women couldn't understand why I didn't have a relationship etc. I at first tried to make lame attempts to fit in, but, in the end, I found I was such an eccentric that, in the end, I didn't actually give a damn. It's funny, but, time and again, I've found that if you genuinely don't care what people think then they will leave you alone, whereas if you show even slight nervousness about anything they will pick up on it and bully you mercilessly.

Depends on the person. I got teased from elementary school to high school for various aspects- in elementary, people assumed I was in a relationship with my best friend, who was male. I wasn't. Middle school, I had no interests in the opposite sex as others did. I got teased. High school, at least two people would chronically try to hook me up with friends/relatives/etc, and I resisted with every bit of might I had. That upset me more than anything. That for some reason people assume that if you're not in a relationship, you must be unhappy and they of course have the cure by hooking you up with a complete stranger you've never even heard of in your life, because yes, this friend of yours has a COMPLETE profile of your personality, appearance, likes/dislikes even though they really don't know you at all and wouldn't know anything about your internal self if it fell out of a tree and whacked them over the back of the head.

*HUFF* *HUFF* ...Good lord, I sure can ramble when I go into that sort of thing. But I suppose it shows how much it upset me. :/ The only people who really bother me about being asexual nowadays are either the ones that want to have sex with me and won't take no for an answer (online people mostly) or this one guy who thinks he 'cured' an 'asexual' by boffing her. Joy! :x

Archived