I do not understand...

binary suns

I pretty much think everyone is beautiful or gorgeous or some sort of good-looking. I cannot look at two people and think that one person is more good looking than the other, although I might prefer to call one by one adjective and the other by a different adjective.

But I have a "type", well a few "types".... there are people who I prefer to look at over others. It isn't that I think they are better looking. It's just that they have a certain kind of look that I sort-of feel squishy towards. And I don't feel like I should "ask them out" I mean I used to but that's when I needed to put something in the pigeon hole "attraction" but it really,,, I don't feel attracted to them, or anything. It is just that, I dunno. They are just "my type" whatever that means for me...

I have a similar experience. I think everyone has good looks in their own way. I get very confused when someone is described as "conventionally beautiful" because I have no idea what that means.

I also used to think admiring someone's appearance or the way they carry themselves meant I was romantically or sexually attracted to them. What a surprise when I found out that those feelings are actually totally foreign to me! :P

I think everyone has "types", meaning people they find more interesting than others. Being human means that the first thing we see is how everyone else looks, so even if it's not physical attraction there might still be something that catches your eye. Maybe something that makes you wonder about that person, or that you just find appealing.

Me, I feel drawn to people who doesn't put much care on how they look. Girls without make-up, with crazy hair and casual clothes. Guys just as natural, who look like they aren't trying to impress.

So, as you said, it's not that I find some people "prettier" than others... Just that for some reason I like a certain look.

I don't know if I have a type when we're talking aesthetics. It's pretty rare for me to be drawn to someone purely for the way they look. It often doesn't occur to me that the way someone looks can be construed as attractive (my thought pattern is along the lines of "this is a human") until I've got to that stage of "mmm personality", but once I'm there I think, "actually this person is easy on the eye". That probably doesn't make sense.

binary suns

no, that makes sense. I also get that. it sort of feels like, "my type"s are people who remind me of someone who really mattered to me, whether it is a person I once knew or a singer I really like or an anime character I really "got", and the more I get to know someone, I find them more "easy on the eye" xD and someday I'll see someone who reminds me of them and take a double-take and be like "that person is a person!" and then be like "duh, all people are people -_-" and then remember the person who I once knew and be like, I miss that person...

I think... I think when you aren't on the search for a "mate"... you wouldn't be? Friends or acquaintances of mine will openly talk about who they find more attractive or who's too ugly--doesn't fit their style--and I'm tempted to think they're playing the "who can get the hottest husband" game. I enjoy a lot of things about most people I meet and I relate them to objects--like this one guy, when I look at him, he's like a fleece blanket. I genuinely don't know anyone who I didn't like to look at.. And this is only on the superficial layer; I'm going to find someone visually and emotionally disgusting if I think they have a personality equal to a leech. There are some things people do that fit my aesthetic (makeup, especially hair style, and clothing) but it doesn't set them any higher than someone wearing a striped polo. All i look for is 'friendship' and unless I'd have any other reason to care, I don't mind whatever appearance someone has. Obviously you could say that a model is "amazing" but they're amazing in a different way, like strangers are on the street if you took time to look at them. Like, "what a nice nose!"

idk.

I feel rather shallow now haha...

but I do have this thing where I think some people are more "aesthetically pleasing" than others.
It's entirely subjective though, because what is "handsome" in my book is "meh" to "yikes" in the books of other people, and vice versa...

Also for me "handsome" isn't just physical looks, it's somebodies whole stance, the type of vibe they emit.

I consider myself to be quite good looking, but when I emit a shitty vibe, my looks deteriorate dramatically (I have seen it on pictures of me xD)

Aesthetic attraction: a fixation on someone because of their looks and or mannerisms. It's different from recognizing what is aesthetically pleasing; which has no fixation; no pull to look.

binary suns

yeah, maybe. I guess. like, I could be looking at Claire Elise Boucher and feeling all "fixated" or something, but later on if I go and think about her, I mean I know I felt differently but she's just a person I admire, once in my memory instead of in my vision. so I tend to forget I experience that, because it is not something that is my mind all day... and it's always been a cliche thing about attraction, that "you can't get them out of your head" and I don't get that. I only feel sort of fixated/squishy on a few people when looking at them, or an urge to exchange various contact with some people I care for, such as a hug or w/e. I think I do feel aesthetic attraction.. but someone being "my type" is not the same thing. I mean, well for me at least, I think it is based off of that, that "my type" is different because it is derivative of my aesthetic attraction.. but not everyone who is "my type" am I aesthetically attracted to, so it is confusing. "My type" is recognizing qualities that I've been attracted to in people in the past! That makes sense, at least for me.

I guess that what makes it weird, is the whole thing that "attraction" has always been something that determines a relationship, that people are attracted to each other and so they get to gether. but my sensual attraction and aesthetic attraction, do not compel me to seek a relationship with the person...

Oh yes, I totally agree! I was just thinking about this for a couple days. I really think everyone is beautiful in their own way, but there are some people who really catches my eye and feel sort of squishy towards and they seem like "my type", but I'm not interested in asking them out or anything... They're... they're just... TOO ADORABLE!!! :o Those who catch my eye more are usually guys who are kinda feminine and girls who are kinda boyish in their expression and attitude. There are some exceptions of course, but it's pretty rare. I mean, those who "catch my eye" are uncommon to begin with. :lol:

binary suns

usually it is someone with female form that catches my eye.. but then it is because I assumed I liked girls when I didn't understand anything as a kid. Each day I am noticing more, of a male form catching my eye :D

although I am still perturbed by the miniscule selection of "male" clothing compared to "female" clothing... and I can only understand the "gender" ness of clothing where it goes as far as "sized to the common form of body" -_-

"my type"

San-and-Ashitaka-princess-mononoke-17256

Ashitaka-and-San-san-and-ashitaka-257235

96979_1218048166686_full.jpg

Yah, i can't feel aesthetic attraction and romantic attraction at the same time either.