Supernatural sexy stuff

AveSatanas

You people on AVEN seem to know just about everything, so I'm asking for a distraught friend who is too embarrassed to go to her social network and ask. What do you call some one who only experiences sexual attraction to the supernatural? Is this a fetish of some kind and what is it called? Is there a religion for people like her? Does it have a name that she can Google to find a community? She identifies as asexual because she says tearfully that she has no desire for anybody who is human and corporeal, but I think this has got to be a legit sexual attraction and some body out there must have a name for it. I've scoured the internet and all I can find is Satanist literature talking about having sex with demons. I don't know if demons are her thing but there's got to be more to it than just that one expression.

What do you mean by supernatural? Like.. she is attracted to ghosts or demons / angels? Or God? Or is it more of a fictional character type thing? I probably don't know the term for it, though. I'm curious as to what you mean by supernatural.

SecretLibrary

Well, I've heard of sex magic, which is any type of sex/sexual behaviour done for religious/magical purposes - but it doesn't sound quite like what your friend is asking about. Or rather, it sounds like you're asking about two sort-of connected things, and I'm going to deal with them separately.

There's any number of magical groups that practice sex magic - even the relatively familiar Tantrism is a form of sex magic (Kama Sutra, etc). And that's definitely got spiritual/religious aspects to it. And then there's Ishtar, for a more 'western' example. Those are relatively positive forms of sex magic. Googling that term or looking for books on the subject will get her any number of results, and there are any number of sources she can explore. Satanists might practice symbolic sex with demons (possibly a demon 'summoned' into a person for the purpose of the ritual), or 'deviant' sex (to raise energy or for transgression's sake) too. That's a somewhat darker sort of spirituality, at least symbolically. (there are a lot of predatory types attracted to those groups, even if the basic philosophy is not *really* as bad as Christians would make it out to be; some also practice Satanism as a semi-satirical religion, though, so there are all types there. If your friend explores that route, I'd advise her to be very careful and wary about who she deals with, and to take things with a grain of salt.)
(Although I'm not practicing any of these traditions, I've been actively pagan for about 20 years, so I've stumbled across a lot of these philosophies in the past).

But you've also conflated the question with the idea of fetishizing it, and I'm less clear on that. Do you mean an attraction to imagined supernatural beings? Or a preference for fantasy/sf erotica? I've not heard of a specific name for that, but I do know that there are *lots* of erotic stories in that genre. Do is this more like a roleplaying/costuming/furry-like kind of thing? I don't know a lot there, but you might want to drop a line on the 'Kink' thread in the grey area forum - people there have a lot of interesting specialized knowledge. It may not have a specific name, but there are people out there who spend a significant amount of their time living as mermaids, so I expect there are others with this particular kink, whatever it is, out there. :)

SecretLibrary

Another possible resource/outlet for her might be Second Life? I'm not there, but I hear there are all sorts of interesting micro-communities there with unusual self-expressions. She might find people who are into what she's into there. ...whatever it is she's into. ;)

What do you mean by supernatural? Like.. she is attracted to ghosts or demons / angels? Or God? Or is it more of a fictional character type thing? I probably don't know the term for it, though. I'm curious as to what you mean by supernatural.

She is absolutely secretive (to me) about her spiritual practices, so I can't say if she prefers ghosts, or demons or angels or God, or any combination of the above. What I can tell you is that she says that spiritual energy has far more power and flat out feels better than any form of physical touch. Don't know who the spiritual energy is coming from, or if is is just her imagination but she likes it.

My sisters practice sex magic and from what they say I think sex magic is usually done with a partner, or through masturbation. I don't think that's quite what my friend is on about. She said "I have been turned on by the supernatural since I was little, and I've been having other side encounters since my thirtieth birthday. What the hell is wrong with me?"

The mind is very powerful thing. I don't like to see her putting mental energy to waste feeling guilty. I will look up the kink thread in the grey forum and see if anybody over there has heard of this

Null_and_Void

Well you make it sound like she legitimately believes that she has had sex (or sexual relations of some sort, at least) with something supernatural, so not to be a dick, but I think your attention should be directed toward getting her psychological help, not trying to find a meaningless label (we are what we are and labels only help to convey what we are, beating ourselves up over fitting a label is ridiculous). Then again, most people on Earth do believe in the supernatural, so my advice is likely to be ignored.

Well you make it sound like she legitimately believes that she has had sex (or sexual relations of some sort, at least) with something supernatural, so not to be a dick, but I think your attention should be directed toward getting her psychological help, not trying to find a meaningless label (we are what we are and labels only help to convey what we are, beating ourselves up over fitting a label is ridiculous). Then again, most people on Earth do believe in the supernatural, so my advice is likely to be ignored.

Very interesting reply indeed. I will not forget that you want to pathologize and ridicule some else's sexuality when you yourself are a member of a sexual minority group. I am not trying to find her a label, I am trying to find her community which is easier if she has a label. It is not my place stomp on either her taste in lovers or her spiritual beliefs. She already sees a psychiatrist who is very much in favor of her having some form of worship as he feels that it provides her with stability. That is what she told me when I offered her humanism. I will not be ignoring your advice; I will be rejecting it, thank you very much.

Very interesting reply indeed. I will not forget that you want to pathologize and ridicule some else's sexuality when you yourself are a member of a sexual minority group. I am not trying to find her a label, I am trying to find her community which is easier if she has a label. It is not my place stomp on either her taste in lovers or her spiritual beliefs. She already sees a psychiatrist who is very much in favor of her having some form of worship as he feels that it provides her with stability. That is what she told me when I offered her humanism. I will not be ignoring your advice; I will be rejecting it, thank you very much.

I was not going to reply to this thread because I don't believe in the supernatural at all. Nothing from a God to ghosts, and I find it so difficult to even begin to try and visualise what your friend must be thinking. So I couldn't help you out with your OP at all but I thought I'd reply as I do understand why Prince_Deity said what they did. Without trying to sound disrespectful, it should be pointed out that the supernatural is very weird to those who don't believe in it. I don't think Prince_Deity's response was supposed to come off as rude or standoffish, as "she needs help" is a normal reaction for someone who doesn't believe in something that has clearly come to be such a big part of your friend's life.

I can't think of any other point where two beliefs can conflict more. To the non-believer, the notion that supernatural beings could even exist is incomprehensible and (for some) even laughable because they can see no proof at all. To the believer, it's insane to even question the existence of the supernatural because they can see proof all around them. Because the concept we're discussing is completely abstract it's so hard for either party to see from the other person's point of view.

Prince_Deity's comment wasn't helpful to your friend's situation, but I hope I've managed to offer some insight into how, to them, psychological help is the logical and safe route. And I really hope there's no hard feelings?

(Also, their point about labels being meaningless may actually be of some use to your friend. Maybe there isn't a label for what she has, and that's almost better in a way because it means she can find herself through looking inside herself for guidance rather than finding a label that kind of fits and then forcing herself to change to fit it exactly.)

I was not going to reply to this thread because I don't believe in the supernatural at all. Nothing from a God to ghosts, and I find it so difficult to even begin to try and visualise what your friend must be thinking. So I couldn't help you out with your OP at all but I thought I'd reply as I do understand why Prince_Deity said what they did. Without trying to sound disrespectful, it should be pointed out that the supernatural is very weird to those who don't believe in it. I don't think Prince_Deity's response was supposed to come off as rude or standoffish, as "she needs help" is a normal reaction for someone who doesn't believe in something that has clearly come to be such a big part of your friend's life.

I can't think of any other point where two beliefs can conflict more. To the non-believer, the notion that supernatural beings could even exist is incomprehensible and (for some) even laughable because they can see no proof at all. To the believer, it's insane to even question the existence of the supernatural because they can see proof all around them. Because the concept we're discussing is completely abstract it's so hard for either party to see from the other person's point of view.

Prince_Deity's comment wasn't helpful to your friend's situation, but I hope I've managed to offer some insight into how, to them, psychological help is the logical and safe route. And I really hope there's no hard feelings?

(Also, their point about labels being meaningless may actually be of some use to your friend. Maybe there isn't a label for what she has, and that's almost better in a way because it means she can find herself through looking inside herself for guidance rather than finding a label that kind of fits and then forcing herself to change to fit it exactly.)

Pathologizing someone's experience based on your lack of spiritual beliefs is a form of erasure and ridicule. There is no evidence to suggest that just because someone believes in the supernatural that person is crazy or needs a psychological adjustment. As Prince_Deity said most of the world does believe in the supernatural. Of course there are hard feelings. Someone called my friend crazy; I can certainly see why she doesn't want to do this exploration for herself. In my experience any sentence that has to be prefaced by "I'm not trying to be a dick," is ignorant and rude and passive agressive and should be left unsaid.

If I double post it's because my internet briefly dropped out and I can't tell if I've already posted :(

Pathologizing someone's experience based on your lack of spiritual beliefs is a form of erasure and ridicule. There is no evidence to suggest that just because someone believes in the supernatural that person is crazy or needs a psychological adjustment. As Prince_Deity said most of the world does believe in the supernatural. Of course there are hard feelings. Someone called my friend crazy; I can certainly see why she doesn't want to do this exploration for herself. In my experience any sentence that has to be prefaced by "I'm not trying to be a dick," is ignorant and rude and passive agressive and should be left unsaid.

To be fair, they never called your friend crazy. And needing to see a therapist, psychologist, counsellor or psychiatrist does not make you crazy. I need psychological help dealing with certain aspects of my life and that doesn't make me any less mentally sound. Psychological help does not necessarily mean you're going to be fixed because you're broken, for a lot of people it helps them to come to terms with themselves.

Null_and_Void

Way to miss the entire point. I don't care what a person is into. She can find supernatural things attractive, I don't care, but to say that she genuinely believes that she has had some sort of sexual relation with something supernatural points to some psychological issues. It is no different than hearing voices or halucinating, and I truly hope that she gets the help she needs.

^Ok you're on your own there pal.

@Orithiel I hope your friend can find some way to accept herself, and she seems to already be on the right path if she's got a friend like you that's not only understanding but willing to help her find out more about herself.

WünderBâhr

Speaking as a fellow member, simply stating that one available option could be to seek guidance from a mental health professional is general enough. Making a judgment call about the necessity of it based on personal faith of that person could be read as an unnecessarily personal and judgmental remark, regardless of it being personal opinion.

That being said, this is an open forum, so personal opinions are bound to be shared and potentially clash. We should move forward with the idea of helping each other figure things out rather than "put each other in boxes".

I do, also, hope that the OP's friend is able to find some answers to help her.

Speaking as a Mod, people are free to disagree with one another. Controversy is fine, as long as it doesn't result in insults or attacks. Should you find yourself strongly disagreeing with another member, refraining from posting/responding (taking some cool off time) is suggested. Should you feel content or behavior is inappropriate for the forum, every member has the option to utilize the report function.

Moving to The Gray Area, Sex and Related Discussions forum.

Bipolar Bear

Asexual Q&A Mod

^Ok you're on your own there pal.

@Orithiel I hope your friend can find some way to accept herself, and she seems to already be on the right path if she's got a friend like you that's not only understanding but willing to help her find out more about herself.

Thank you Orchid you're very kind to say so. I'm going to take some advice from the moderator and just cool it. with Mr. hallucinations and delusions up there :angry: I can't force people to respect my friend and I think my energy is better spent talking to her and trying to get her to open up to me than in slugging it out over religious freedoms with people with closed minds and fear of anything different than them. Thank you to the moderator for moving this post to the appropriate forum.

Autumn Season

So I did a bit of research. Maybe it's helpful.

All quotes below are from the English Wikipedia.

Spectrophilia is sexual attraction to ghosts or sexual arousal from images in mirrors, also the phenomenon of sexual encounters between ghosts and humans.
Paraphilia (also known as sexual perversion and sexual deviation) is the experience of intense sexual arousal to atypical objects, situations, or individuals.
An incubus is a demon in male form who, according to mythological and legendary traditions, lies upon sleepers, especially women, in order to engage in sexual activity with them.
A succubus is a female demon or supernatural entity in folklore (traced back to medieval legend) that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. [...] See also: Similar creatures in folklore.

Sexuality in Christian demonology: Christian demonologists agree that sexual relationships between demons and humans happen, but they disagree in why and how.

Psychic vampire: A related form of psychic vampirism is known as sexual vampirism, where one is said to be able to feed off sexual energy.[15] A mythological example of a sexual vampire would be a succubus or a rokurokubi.

The terms alien abduction or abduction phenomenon describe "subjectively real memories of being taken secretly against one's will by apparently nonhuman entities and subjected to complex physical and psychological procedures".

Witchcraft
Spirit possession
Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person, either falling asleep or awakening, temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by complete muscle atonia(muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body).

^

Possible explanation of supernatural experiences.

Same thing below.

v

Narcolepsy /ˈnɑrkəˌlɛpsi/, also known as hypnolepsy, is a chronic neurological disorder involving the loss of the brain's ability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally.[1] People with narcolepsy experience frequent excessive daytime sleepiness, comparable to how people who don't have narcolepsy feel after 24 to 48 hours of sleep deprivation,[2] as well as disturbed nocturnal sleep which often is confused with insomnia.

A sexual fantasy, also called an erotic fantasy, is a mental image or pattern of thought that stirs a person'ssexuality and can create or enhance sexual arousal.

Erotic target location error (ETLE) is having a sexual preference or strong sexual interest in features that are somewhere other than on one's sexual partners.[1]

When one's sexual arousal is based on imagining oneself in another physical form (such as an animal, an infant, or an amputee) the erotic target is said to be one's self, or erotic target identity inversion.

Animal roleplay is a form of roleplay where at least one participant plays the part of an animal. As with most forms of roleplay, its uses include play and psychodrama.

The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife (蛸と海女 Tako to ama?, literally Octopus(es) and shell diver), also known as Girl Diver and Octopi, Diver and Two Octopi, etc., is a zoophilia-associated woodcut design of the ukiyo-e genre by theJapanese artist Hokusai.

List of paraphilias

A fixed fantasy — also known as a "dysfunctional schema" — is a belief or system of beliefs held by a single individual to be genuine, but that cannot be verified in reality.

Thank You Autumn Season!!! I have come across some of these in my research, but you put together a very complete list. Thank you very much for the time you put into it!

Good news Everybody. My friend has talked to a sex therapist (Because she was getting pretty frantic) and been told that what she is experiencing is mytho-sexuality sort of a term they came up with. It is exactly like being attracted to fictional characters except she's attracted to figures from mythology like Prometheus or Hades. She knows I asked about this on AVEN and she said to tell you that the therapist said that strong suspension of disbelief was essential to the experience just as it is when going to the movies. She is not hallucinating, she is fantasizing. And a big thank you to all the lovely folks who provided links and gave support.

Archived