Understanding Sex Talk

So I know a lot of asexual people post stuff about not understanding what people are talking about when it comes to something sexual. Not saying that's bad or weird in any way but is it just me or do other asexual people actually understand when people make a dirty joke? I don't understand everything and I don't go out looking for information I just understand, sometimes, a dirty joke, and someone telling me how attractive someone is. I may not completely understand the appeal in a part of the person someone is referencing to but I'm not completely clueless. Although i understand a dirty joke I don't find it funny; nevertheless, I'm not clueless. Is it just me or are there actually other asexual people like this? Fyi don't mean to be rude :)

I get some dirty jokes, struggle a bit with others. I think sometimes sex isn't the first thing my mind goes to so unless a joke is obvious I need to think about it before I get it. When I was younger I often needed dirty jokes explained to me, but now days I guess I've heard most jokes and their variations so it's been a long time since I've needed a dirty joke explained to me. Still often need to think about them before I get them though.

I understand dirty jokes and I make them as well, and I find some of them funny. I think I understand all sexual stuff people say/hint at. I suppose it is because I'm still getting used to the asexuality thing but I find it curious that from what I've read around here many asexuals don't get sexual references, for me it's like even if I'm not interested in sex, it is at the forefront of my mind most of the time.

I almost never understand them. I look like an idiot when i have to ask ppl to explain so i just stopped asking. Its not anything i need to know and i doubt i could wrap my mind around most of it anyway lol

I'm always the last to get dirty jokes but the time difference isn't noticeable or anything. I don't really find them funny but that's probably because I don't find one- or two-liners funny anyway really.

I understand sexual talk and can respond to it I guess but I'd never initiate it. I don't even swear in front of others.

I often understand them, although I rarely find them funny, and that is frequently interpreted as my not having understood them. They're often made quite obvious, at least by the people I know. It does sometimes take me longer to get them than it seems to take other people, but (at least so far) I always figure it out eventually.

I get them most times but it takes me a minute as my mind doesnt usually go to the dirty place first. More often nowdays sometimes I find it hard to know if they mean it in a dirty way or not.

I understand dirty jokes and I make them as well, and I find some of them funny. I think I understand all sexual stuff people say/hint at. I suppose it is because I'm still getting used to the asexuality thing but I find it curious that from what I've read around here many asexuals don't get sexual references, for me it's like even if I'm not interested in sex, it is at the forefront of my mind most of the time.

Completely agree with your first sentence. Before I identified as asexual (just over 10 years ago, when I was about 42), I'd be embarrassed by banter and jokes, but I'm much more secure and confident in my own orientation, and my sense of humour allows that stuff without my feeling conflicted. I can get that many very young people who are identifying as asexual might not be comfortable, but I wonder whether that's because they're A, or because they're young...

Autumn Season

I often understand them, although I rarely find them funny, and that is frequently interpreted as my not having understood them.

Me too. ^^ Once my friends told a dirty joke, I understood it immediately and some others needed it explained first. While everyone else was laughing, I sat there with a poker face because it WASN'T FUNNY. Some dirty jokes are funny, but this one wasn't. So everyone looked at me because I was the only one not laughing, they even explained the joke two more times . I said "I get it", but apparently they didn't believe me. ^^°

It's not just about sex jokes though. Some people expect everyone to laugh about their jokes and think the joke wasn't understood if somebody doesn't react.

I sort of understand most innuendoes and sex jokes, some of them are vaguely funny, though there have been a few slightly more subtle references which I didn't get (for ages I thought a blowjob was a kind of hairdo which involved blow-drying. Thank goodness I never asked for one at the hairdresser's). Generally I can laugh along anyway if I'm with a group of friends.

MissLunarWolf

At first it took some explaining (that's what s/he said, blah blah), but I caught on eventually.

But then the jokes got more "sophisticated/dirty". In highschool, there was one joke... something about being wet, and I was like...

Point_over_your_head.jpg

It's never funny if you need something gross explained to you.. Sometimes it takes me minutes to even decode what they're getting at. Then I laugh out of surprise/awkwardness... it's weird..

I'm usually very quick to make and understand sexual jokes/innuendos. As to whether I find them funny, well, that depends on how funny they are...

divided_sky

I'm usually very quick to make and understand sexual jokes/innuendos. As to whether I find them funny, well, that depends on how funny they are...

Yeah, I don't have any issue picking up on that sort of stuff, at all. And no issue being the one to initiate such jokes either. I'm not phased by it in the slightest. A lot of people's attempts at sexual humor just plain suck, though. I get it, but it isn't funny, because they aren't funny people. Back in high school, I was definitely slow to pick up on things and often didn't understand what was being said, but since I've managed to figure things out over time, it's all good with me. Just be funny, is all I ask. I can't be bothered to fake a smile for a bad joke.