Deleted

Vestal

Awesome!

LadyWallflower

Wow, very cool! It is great to be validated by science!

• 4 weeks later...
virtualperson13

Thank you for sharing. This is GREAT !! I am very happy that hear there are people in the scientific community researching asexuality.

So I have a theory.

But first a story. Before I identified as ace, I thought I had low desire. I didn't talk to a doctor about it or get treatment for it, but I felt like something was wrong with me. I had the symptoms shown in the video (distress, depression) and I had lots of sex in an attempt to make myself enjoy it. Then a few months ago I started reading the AVEN FAQ and identifying with asexuality. Now that I identify as ace I am on the other end: I don't have sex very often, I'm not depressed, and I'm not distressed.

In my experience, the difference between low desire and asexuality has been my point of view. Now, I realize that some people are sexual and suddenly lose their desire and maybe that is part of the clilnical diagnosis. However, if it's simply a personal identity of never having sexual desire, I think that we can choose whether or not to treat it as an orientation or an illness.

• 2 weeks later...
fish of hearts

I think when surveying and questioning potential asexuals, one should be sure to clarify the difference between distress caused by the lack of desire and distress caused by pressure to perform desire. Also, the operational definition of "sexual attraction" needs to be made blatantly clear as many people do not or cannot differentiate between aesthetic, romantic, and sexual attraction given society's current lexicon and examples of courting behavior.

• 1 month later...
AceTrainerSasha

It's so exciting to see current science surrounding asexuality and sexual disorders-- and the findings are thrilling! More and more, science is supporting that asexuality and sexual disorders are not related. This may not seem huge to us, but for clinicians, this is massive. If science actually validates asexuality, clinicians will take that to heart, and developments to the healthcare system (particularly the mental health system) can be made.

Side note:I recently sent "fan mail" to Dr. Brotto after seeing this video. I'm also a psych student at UBC. We started talking, and, long story short, I might be helping in her lab next year? (So stoked!)

Archived