Asexual Headcanons

nerdsbianknight

Not at all fictional, but there was a writer here on Spain that never wrote about love and romance (really weird for the time), and he's not known for having any kind of relationship/being suspect of homosexuality in his entire life, so i got this headcanon that Pio Baroja was indeed ace ^^

I've heard a fair few headcanons about Katniss Everdeen being aro/ace! Or even demisexual, depending on your interpretation.

Which should make sense to those who have read the books, since it's all written in first-person pov you get a clear view of how she sees the people in her life. Maybe only twice ever does she allude to feeling more-than-platonic towards Peeta during the three books. This aro/ace perspective is kinda emphasised when you think about the explicitly romantic and sexual characters she is surrounded by. And the majority of the time Katniss is using kissing as a tool - for instance to gain support from sponsors, or to maintain public adoration as the "star-crossed lovers". Anything genuinely romantic/love-related appeared to be very very low on her personal priority list, even to the last book. This is a more in-depth article that references specific quotes from the books which back up the headcanon if you're interested :)

I read those books before I discovered asexuality, and I always thought of Katniss as someone with little romantic interest and no romantic priority. I probably self-interted myself, because that's how I am regarding romance (when I was 16, one math test was enough to for me to remove all focus away from romance).

I still think a low-romantic (gray romantic?) Katniss was likely what the author was going for, but now I would be very curious as to her thoughts on it. An aromatic Katniss also makes a lot of sense. I definitely see either an asexual or a demisexual Katniss. Probably demisexual based on the one comment that she wanted more than kissing (of course it's not too hard to suppose that just meant more kissing or cuddling or something).

And obviously Harry and Hermione have a really strong asexual platonic relationship. It kind of bummed me out when JK said that she wanted to put them together.

I imagine Rowling would have written the stories very differently had Harry/Hermione ended up together, but regardless, Harry/Hermione have the perfect relationship as it is. Very refreshing to see an honest friendship like that.

I'm more bummed with Rowling thinking she HAD to pair Hermione either with Ron or Harry. Those were the only two options for her. Like why? Hermione didn't have to end up with anyone or it could have been left open-ended. Not to say that Hermione had to be written to be aromatic (although she could have). I was disappointed by the idealistic HP ending. All heteronormative pairings, no one single, and all with kids. Boring... but that's another rant all together.

(Referring to the major characters. I think Charlie Weasley could be aro/ace, but he's a minor character).

Oh! Oh! I just thought of a popular one: Elsa! There are so many vids on youtube using Elsa as the Disney princess who doesn't need a man to make her happy.

Yes. Although it seems a far more popular head canon is that she is gay? I'm not sure why. She could be asexual homoromantic, but that's fairly speculative.

-

Does is bother anyone else when people headcanon characters as asexual or aromantic when they very obviously aren't? I'm active on tumblr and inevitably things come across my dash about characters being asexual or aromatic. Mostly from TV shows and often these characters have had canon sexual or romantic encounters - often more than once. I've asked people why they think this character is asexual when she hooked up with someone she barely knew... they said it was because she normally prioritized other things higher than sex. Often characters get labeled as aromantic if they prioritize friends or family before romance.

I'm glad for awareness, but I think the misrepresentation bothers me. Like is that how asexuals/aromantics are seen? It also does a disservice to sexual and romantic people, because being sexual or romantic doesn't mean that's always a priority or even something that matters.

I'm cool with fan fiction (written out or not), so if they take a character and change them a bit, that's okay. But when they are saying... here's what I believe and I'm supporting this by the source, I don't get it. I want real asexual representation but I'd rather nothing that a false idea of it....

Dodecahedron314

I'm still standing by my Black Widow aroace headcanon, no matter how badly Joss Whedon shoehorned certain things of which we will not speak into the latest Avengers movie (and yes, I'm still sore about that). Even if that wasn't a massive fluke (though hopefully it's something that gets dropped later on), I think she could definitely still be grayro ace. (And no, she hasn't been flirting with Hawkeye all this time, despite the most strident objections of one of my friends who ships them together. I could see them being QPPs, but not romantic, that would just be weird.)

After having just seen the wonderful Mad Max: Fury Road, I am headcanoning Furiosa as asexual.

fish of hearts

Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, although being a walking pile of goo, that might be straight up canon. I'm sure he's also demi-panromantic, and he has a nice QPR with Lwaxana Troi.

Omg yess to Holly Short from Artemis Fowl!!! (I read those books and loved them way before I knew asexuality existed but it all makes sense now!!!)

And Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz!! I can get behind that one! :)

My current, really strong ace headcanon is Ben Wyatt from Parks and Rec. Someone back me up on this. :D

Oh, another one I just remembered... Fate and Nanoha from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. They are QPP, and raising an orphaned girl.

Not sure if the girls are aro/ace or anything, but, they are just really close friends. Aside from the fact they literally nearly kill each other in the first season, but they got past that.

I am not sure if that is what the author intends or not, it is left (intentionally?) vague.

Ooh, I have a pretty big list of ace headcanons~

First in the Dragon Age series, I headcanon Solas as heteroromantic asexual (because exploring the fade sounds like a much better thing to do at night than sex), and I headcanon Merrill as either biromantic asexual or demisexual.

Legend of Zelda, I headcanon Link as ace. So many people are into him, but he just carries on saving the world haha.

I heard that Maya from Borderlands is canon asexual

I headcanon Levi Ackerman from Attack on Titan as homoromantic asexual

I also like the aro/ace Katniss Everdeen headcanon, and of course Sherlock Holmes.

Another literary ace headcanon I have is Vin from the Mistborn trilogy, because a lot of her insecurities about being in a romantic relationship I can relate to, even if it wasn't outright stated that she's ace. Especially since she still has insecurities even after getting married.

I definitely see TWD Daryl Dixon as being ace, since he has a lot of important connections with people despite being a loner, and none of those connections are portrayed as sexual.

Asexual headcanons are really important to me, especially with varying types haha

Until reading that post I didn't realize bout Katniss, I don't know if she's asexual in fact, but how her sentimental relationship develop I agree she could be ace. When I was reading the books I didn't had those experiences yet, but now, recalling how everything turned out I can relate to her a lot.

I was going to post about Elsa. Yes, for me, she's asexual. I don't know if aro, but ace. I never read anything about her being homosexual, but i remember, that while being in a RP forum, a character wasn't accepted because she was asexual (i know how many would feel about tht), and the user changed her to be homosexual, because, the the socially expected relationship it's still heterosexual. So I feel like calling her gay, is facing somehow what i experienced in that RP forum. (it's just personal point of view that).

LadyWallflower

I think many people head canon Elsa as a lesbian because the lyrics of “Let It Go” make it seem as a very good coming out song. But it could be used for asexuality too. I listened to the song a lot when I was first wondering about my asexuality. But it is not just the song. Elsa has a secret that she is not allowed to tell anyone, something she is born with. She hides away from the world in her room (she is hiding in her closet). Her parents tell her no one must know. Elsa ends up ostracized, but her sister shows her love and support and accepts her. Elsa realizes love is the key to saving the city. As you can see, Elsa’s entire story is a metaphorical coming out story, and that is why people head canon her as a lesbian. I see her as a lesbian too.

I think Merida could be asexual. Also, already mentioned, but I see Katniss and Charlie as aces too.

One that is not mentioned is Hope from the Final Fantasy 13 series. In the first one he is only a kid, but he reads ace to me in the second one.

Also Luffy from One Piece is a confirmed asexual. Although he is an Ace because the creator said boys do not care about romance.

Edit: Was using google and realized that Brave was released the same weekend as the Pride Parade. Probably a coincidence, but still…

I think many people head canon Elsa as a lesbian because the lyrics of “Let It Go” make it seem as a very good coming out song. But it could be used for asexuality too. I listened to the song a lot when I was first wondering about my asexuality. But it is not just the song. Elsa has a secret that she is not allowed to tell anyone, something she is born with. She hides away from the world in her room (she is hiding in her closet). Her parents tell her no one must know. Elsa ends up ostracized, but her sister shows her love and support and accepts her. Elsa realizes love is the key to saving the city. As you can see, Elsa’s entire story is a metaphorical coming out story, and that is why people head canon her as a lesbian. I see her as a lesbian too.

Yeah, I've had the Elsa argument with my former roommate a few times. I, an ace, see her as ace, while my roommate, a lesbian, sees her as a lesbian.

I don't usually do headcanons but I have a number of webcomics that I read, so it might be interesting to see if any of the characters in them come across as asexual.

Although not many of the webcomics I read deal with sex or lust all that much, so there could probably be an ace argument for a lot of characters.

JediVulcan

I have so many...

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker are both totally aro-ace in the movies. (The EU makes things more complicated, unfortunately.) Mace Windu is another one that's easy to read as ace, as are quite a lot of Jedi, actually. Even Anakin seems rather demisexual. And that's not even mentioning Jango Fett, the man who literally reproduced asexually when he wanted a son.

Doctor Who: Every incarnation of the Doctor, although I think romantic orientation is specific to each regeneration. 9, 12 and the War Doctor are all definitely aro-spec. Torchwood's Ianto Jones seems pretty biromantic demisexual to me.

Pacific Rim: Mako, Raleigh, Newt, Pentecost... So many folks in that film come off as ace. It's rather wonderful.

Legend of Korra: Lin Beifong. Yes, I know she had a relationship with Tenzin, but I think that was more expected of her than what she actually wanted. Notice how she's never pursued any other sort of relationship since then.

Marvel Cinematic Universe: I'm not sure where on the spectrum I headcanon Steve Rogers, but he's definitely somewhere on it. I favour aro-ace because I'm aro-ace myself, but you could convincingly argue that he's biromantic asexual, demi- or grey-sexual. I'm also a fan of aro-ace Natasha Romanoff.

And then there's Bilbo Baggins, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Weasley... I'm loving the ace!Nicholas Angel stuff in this thread, too. Susan Pompoms from El Goonish Shive is another, and Remus Lupin is totally somewhere on the spectrum. Enterprise's Malcolm Reed is a character I headcanon as being on the aromantic spectrum, but not ace, as well as Avatar's Toph Beifong.

As you can possibly guess, ace headcanons are a hobby of mine...

Ace of Cakes

I think many people head canon Elsa as a lesbian because the lyrics of Let It Go make it seem as a very good coming out song. But it could be used for asexuality too. I listened to the song a lot when I was first wondering about my asexuality. But it is not just the song. Elsa has a secret that she is not allowed to tell anyone, something she is born with. She hides away from the world in her room (she is hiding in her closet). Her parents tell her no one must know. Elsa ends up ostracized, but her sister shows her love and support and accepts her. Elsa realizes love is the key to saving the city. As you can see, Elsas entire story is a metaphorical coming out story, and that is why people head canon her as a lesbian. I see her as a lesbian too.

Yeah, I've had the Elsa argument with my former roommate a few times. I, an ace, see her as ace, while my roommate, a lesbian, sees her as a lesbian.
I think that goes to show how cool her character is, that different people can relate to her for different reasons! Of course, as an ace, I totally headcanon her as ace as well ;)

I suppose I'll share my other headcanons as well!

Doctor Who: Every incarnation of the Doctor, although I think romantic orientation is specific to each regeneration. 9, 12 and the War Doctor are all definitely aro-spec.

Yes! I headcanon him as ace too! I love when Four says, "You're a beautiful woman... Probably." Very ace in my eyes :)

Anyway, I have many more headcanons, some of which have already mentioned, but I'll share what comes to mind.

Elsa (aro/ace)

Katniss (demi)

Tris Prior from Divergent (demi)

Luna Lovegood (demi-panromantic ace)

Charlie Weasley (aro/ace)

Severus Snape (demiromantic heterosexual, so not ace, but still worth mentioning)

Sherlock Holmes

Enjolras from Les Mis

Dr. Maggie Pierce from Grey's Anatomy (demi)

Dean Winchester (aro-spec bisexual, again, not ace, but still)

Mary Poppins

The Professor from Gilligan's Island

WhatsSheCalled

So I have some Les Mis ones...

Some people have already said Enjolras is ace, and someone mentioned Javert. I personally don't see Javert as ace-spec (or at least I haven't really thought about it that much) and I definitely see Enjy as ace, probably homoromantic, but really not enough people talk about Jean Valjean himself.

Because face it, Valjean is hella aroace:

- never once shows attraction, romantic or sexual to anybody

- has never had a romantic relationship, either before or after he was imprisoned

- HUGE focus on other kinds of love, eg familial or just genrally being a loving person within the community

- also is the main character is never shown in any negative light for his sexuality and like why don't people care about this more?

Aroace Jean Valjean

Some people have already said Enjolras is ace, and someone mentioned Javert. I personally don't see Javert as ace-spec (or at least I haven't really thought about it that much) and I definitely see Enjy as ace, probably homoromantic, but really not enough people talk about Jean Valjean himself.

- has never had a romantic relationship, either before or after he was imprisoned

- HUGE focus on other kinds of love, eg familial or just genrally being a loving person within the community

- also is the main character is never shown in any negative light for his sexuality and like why don't people care about this more?

Aroace Jean Valjean

Didn't Valjean get thrown in jail for stealing bread to feed his family? Though, I suppose he could still be aroace and have a family. It is implied though it is for his kid, isn't it? Or is that just in the stage adaptation?

CrochetFool

Aroace Jean Valjean

Didn't Valjean get thrown in jail for stealing bread to feed his family? Though, I suppose he could still be aroace and have a family. It is implied though it is for his kid, isn't it? Or is that just in the stage adaptation?

It was for his sister's children.

WhatsSheCalled

Aroace Jean Valjean

Yeah, having read the book, basically before prison Valjean was a tree pruner in this poor town and specifically never had a romantic relationship, but helped his sister (who I think was a widow and had like 6 kids) get by, and one winter there wasn't work for him and they were starving, so he broke the window pane of a baker's shop, stole some bread, was caught immediately, and so begins the story of Les Mis.

And I'm pretty sure he says 'my sister's child was close to death' in the musical as well.

But yeah, you'd think given the large proportion of ace and arospec people in the Les Mis fandom, people would have caught on to it a bit more. ^_^

Aroace Jean Valjean

Yeah, having read the book, basically before prison Valjean was a tree pruner in this poor town and specifically never had a romantic relationship, but helped his sister (who I think was a widow and had like 6 kids) get by, and one winter there wasn't work for him and they were starving, so he broke the window pane of a baker's shop, stole some bread, was caught immediately, and so begins the story of Les Mis.

And I'm pretty sure he says 'my sister's child was close to death' in the musical as well.

But yeah, you'd think given the large proportion of ace and arospec people in the Les Mis fandom, people would have caught on to it a bit more. ^_^

Ok, it has been a while since I had seen the musical... I couldn't remember. I knew a child was involved in his reasoning for stealing the bread.

SpeckledAngel

To actually add to the list, I headcannon Kel, the main character of Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small quartet, as on the spectrum. Pierce is great and her heroines are all strong w/out the need for a male, but Kel is the only one I would consider on the spectrum, though as grey- or demi-.

What follows is a short discourse on the Doctor:

Although I like the aro/ace Doctor headcannon, I must disagree. For one thing, the Doctor was married and had kids and grandkids. Obviously not strong evidence alone. However, the First Doctor fell in love with and proposed (IIRC) to a human very shortly after meeting her, so that's evidence for being romantic, though one might also argue that he's more cupioro, or rebounding after losing his wife or both. Against that but for general romanticism is that the Ninth Doctor flirted with the tree woman in his second episode. The Tenth Doctor also gets a lot spin as a flirt (mostly from Moffat, and I personally disagree with a lot of how he wrote both Ten and Eleven but he's the writer so alas it is cannon). Aro/Aces can be flirts, of course, but these points taken together don't let me headcannon him as aro/ace.

Instead, my headcannon is that the reason the Doctor mostly reads as aro/ace is that he is surrounded by humans, not Galifreyans. He may look human to us, but he never (or rarely) forgets the difference. The First Doctor proposing is before he had so much to do with humans, and therefore might not have made such a clear distinction. I would also argue that the Tenth Doctor never completely loved Rose the way she loved him, but Tentoo (his clone) could, because he was half human.

*Note: I didn't get a chance to watch more that a few episodes of the First Doctor out of all the Old Who, so there's probably a lot of examples for/against that I missed

Ace of Cakes

To actually add to the list, I headcannon Kel, the main character of Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small quartet, as on the spectrum. Pierce is great and her heroines are all strong w/out the need for a male, but Kel is the only one I would consider on the spectrum, though as grey- or demi-.

Although I like the aro/ace Doctor headcannon, I must disagree. For one thing, the Doctor was married and had kids and grandkids. Obviously not strong evidence alone. However, the First Doctor fell in love with and proposed (IIRC) to a human very shortly after meeting her, so that's evidence for being romantic, though one might also argue that he's more cupioro, or rebounding after losing his wife or both. Against that but for general romanticism is that the Ninth Doctor flirted with the tree woman in his second episode. The Tenth Doctor also gets a lot spin as a flirt (mostly from Moffat, and I personally disagree with a lot of how he wrote both Ten and Eleven but he's the writer so alas it is cannon). Aro/Aces can be flirts, of course, but these points taken together don't let me headcannon him as aro/ace.

Instead, my headcannon is that the reason the Doctor mostly reads as aro/ace is that he is surrounded by humans, not Galifreyans. He may look human to us, but he never (or rarely) forgets the difference. The First Doctor proposing is before he had so much to do with humans, and therefore might not have made such a clear distinction. I would also argue that the Tenth Doctor never completely loved Rose the way she loved him, but Tentoo (his clone) could, because he was half human.

*Note: I didn't get a chance to watch more that a few episodes of the First Doctor out of all the Old Who, so there's probably a lot of examples for/against that I missed

Not sure if you're saying you disagree with just the aro part or the whole thing, but I'll share some thoughts anyway! :)

Yeah, he did have kids, but like you said, having a partner/kids doesn't make you sexual. Plus, I'm not an expert on Gallifreyan mating rituals, but didn't they use looms or something? (Also, he rarely mentions his partner (can't think of any references off the top of my head honestly, but it's been awhile), more often he mentions his kids.)

When he "fell in love and proposed," also, to me, it seemed as though he was caught off guard when his offering of cocoa (I think?) was read as a proposal. I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I watched any of the First Doctor's episodes. Anyway, it does seem that he loved her, but it never appeared sexual to me. Maybe, romantic, but I tend to read a lot of the Doctors as quioromantic, so... idk. My headcanons for him are pretty complicated. And yeah, I definitely read Ten as fully romantic... Not sexual though. And even though Moffat tends to write Eleven as somewhat sexual-seeming, stereotypes and generalizations can be wrong, and I believe Matt Smith even said he saw his Doctor as ace.

I do agree that an element of it might be the human vs. Time Lord thing. I too read Tentoo as being sexual, and see some of the pain in Ten's eyes when he pretty much says Tentoo can give Rose what he never could, as being related the fact that Tentoo, a human, will be sexually attracted to her. (I mean, there's the whole growing old together thing too, but still.)

Anyway, I definitely thinkg the Doctor can be read in a lot of different ways, but I tend to err on the side of more ace rather than less :P Here's an interesting analysis on the topic! I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but it definitely has some good points :) (Be sure to click the link at the bottom so that you're taken to Part II, the analysis on Time Lord relationships).

I also headcanon the Doctor as ace, although Ten especially seems romantic to me. Dean Winchester from Supernatural is definitely an aro-spec bisexual, Castiel I see as graypanromantic ace, and Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow is an aro/ace, regardless of whatever happened in AOU. Katniss I also always saw as aroace!

Not sure if you're saying you disagree with just the aro part or the whole thing, but I'll share some thoughts anyway! :)

Yeah, he did have kids, but like you said, having a partner/kids doesn't make you sexual. Plus, I'm not an expert on Gallifreyan mating rituals, but didn't they use looms or something? (Also, he rarely mentions his partner (can't think of any references off the top of my head honestly, but it's been awhile), more often he mentions his kids.)

When he "fell in love and proposed," also, to me, it seemed as though he was caught off guard when his offering of cocoa (I think?) was read as a proposal. I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I watched any of the First Doctor's episodes. Anyway, it does seem that he loved her, but it never appeared sexual to me. Maybe, romantic, but I tend to read a lot of the Doctors as quioromantic, so... idk. My headcanons for him are pretty complicated. And yeah, I definitely read Ten as fully romantic... Not sexual though. And even though Moffat tends to write Eleven as somewhat sexual-seeming, stereotypes and generalizations can be wrong, and I believe Matt Smith even said he saw his Doctor as ace.

I do agree that an element of it might be the human vs. Time Lord thing. I too read Tentoo as being sexual, and see some of the pain in Ten's eyes when he pretty much says Tentoo can give Rose what he never could, as being related the fact that Tentoo, a human, will be sexually attracted to her. (I mean, there's the whole growing old together thing too, but still.)

Anyway, I definitely thinkg the Doctor can be read in a lot of different ways, but I tend to err on the side of more ace rather than less :P Here's an interesting analysis on the topic! I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but it definitely has some good points :) (Be sure to click the link at the bottom so that you're taken to Part II, the analysis on Time Lord relationships).

Are you talking about The Aztecs?

The Doctor seems pretty startled, and none too pleased by the idea that he's gotten engaged when it happens. In fact, it add impetus to his working on a solution for the TARDIS crew to escape.

Ian Chesterton : [speaking of the brooch carried by the Doctor.] "Where did you get hold of this?"

The Doctor : "My fiance"

Ian Chesterton : "I see... Your what?"

The Doctor : "Yes, I made some cocoa and got engaged..."

fish of hearts

Sherlock from Elementary seems to be written as a sex-indifferent, aromantic asexual. After this last season, I'm convinced Joan is lithromantic, though still heterosexual.

KaijuPanda

Another literary ace headcanon I have is Vin from the Mistborn trilogy, because a lot of her insecurities about being in a romantic relationship I can relate to, even if it wasn't outright stated that she's ace. Especially since she still has insecurities even after getting married.

Oh yes! Her marriage with what's-his-face (been a while since I read it, haha) always seemed pretty platonic. She was very drawn to him when they met, but it never felt like a sexual or romantic attraction. She liked his huge..piles of books ;)

Honey_Badger

We'll have enough LGBTQA characters in fiction when we can headcanon however we like without people accusing us of poaching from our friends in the rest of the alphabet soup. :)

Android, thank you! It all makes sense now! Egon was reluctant to be with Janine because he worried she'd want sex. Head canon accepted!

I have NO problem seeing Egon as aro-ace due to his utter clumsiness in GB, and his utter cluelessness and terror at Janine in The Real Ghostbusters.

However, I love the dynamic in the animated series, especially those episodes written by Straczinsky. I can see that he obviously loves her in the cartoon but pretty much has to have a cinder block bashed over his head to "get it".

In the first movie they were *supposed* to be married, and there was even a wedding scene shot...but that was cut from the final edit.

Janine/Egon has been my favorite animated couple since I was 8 years old ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
Mimikyu Senpai

Princess Merida from Brave. She almost caused a civil war (not to mention damaged her relationship with her mother) because she did not want to be married! I always knew there was a reason I felt drawn to her. :cake:

Apart from the ones already mentioned, alot of people think Chris Redfield from Resident Evil, I do wonder if hes in some sort of platonic relationship with Jill from the same series.

Couple of interesting suggestions I haven't seen from anyone, Keith David's character in Saints Row IV is the only character you can't romance. Benjamin King from the same series can be but in more of a geek fandom at meeting their favourite author.

I'm a massive Harry Potter fan and total nerd, and I love the Charlie headcannon! I also know there is a lot of discussion about the sexuality of Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock (another obsession of mine) and his sexuality. A lot of people believe he is asexual, although I would like to think he would have some kind of relashonship with John. The Doctor is also sometimes considered asexual, but I think it depends on which one.

Archived