Article on "gentle platonic touch" between dudes :D

ithaca

Notte stellata

I don't get touched all that often, other than the occaisonal handshake or obligatory hug. I'm quite fine without it, and could actually go without said obligatory hugs. The fact that this article says that this should be making me sick is rather unfortunate.

Yeah, it shouldn't assume EVERYONE wants touch. Plenty of people are either OK without, or touch averse and would actually be harmed by getting it. :(

It also assumes everyone wants platonic touch, but there are many (possibly most) people who want intimate touch, but only with romantic partners. When they don't have a partner, they miss touch but won't seek it from friends. Nothing wrong with that either, just like many people won't have sex outside of a romantic relationship.

I was talking about this the other night. The main issue we had with it was the assumption that all males were included or should be included. It's just as outlandish as saying that all the people like like touching each other have a mental disorder. This is just absurd.

Kitty Spoon Train

Late to the party, but just wanted to say that I agree with most of the commentary so far, in that I think the article makes some good points but goes off the rails a bit by generalising too much. As well as putting "homophobia" up as the main culprit, and advocating gay marriage as a solution.

On a totally personal note: as a male, grey-asexual cuddle slut who is mostly interested in cuddly buddy type relationships with girls, I've actually been told repeatedly that I would do a lot better on that level if I was gay. :lol:

Turns out, if I'm holding hands with both a guy and a girl simultaneously, people don't think that I'm polyamorous and bi/pan! ;)

I think this is a decent solution.

Archived