Favorite quotes

scarletlatitude

"But it's not my conscience

That hates to be untrue

I asked of my reflection
Tell me what is there to do"

"Green and white foods can NEVER touch each other" - DW (from Arthur)

"Whatever comes, let it come.

Whatever stays, let it stay.

Whatever goes, let it go."

- Papaji

"If there is peace in your mind you will find peace with everybody. If your mind is agitated you will find agitation everywhere. So first find peace within and you will see this inner peace reflected everywhere else. You are this peace. You are happiness, find out. Where else will you find peace if not within you?"

- Papaji

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." ~Andre Gide

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks! That one happened to be in an old document of quotes I had without a name listed and for some reason it didn't occur to me to look it up. :wacko:

Lover Of Cats And Cake

"If you're going through hell, keep going"- Winston Churchill

"It's not that I'm isolated, I just choose to be alone"- Nyo England

VindicatorPhoenix

"Worry about your character and not your reputation,

because your character is who you are

and your reputation is only what people think of you."

“Beware of the fury of the patient man.”

-John Dryden

"I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it." (Edith Sitwell)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

― Oliver Goldsmith

• 3 weeks later...
VindicatorPhoenix

62dc9ec9e19dbe42f00ddba39178dacd.jpg

DannyFenton123

My three best quotes:

Be yourself; those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. - Dr Seuss

"It may not be my fault, but it is my responsibility." - Danny Fenton

"You can never say 'bubbles' angrily. No really, just try it right now and see." - One of my classmates

• 3 weeks later...

I thrive on quotes, but it'll be too long to list every single one of them. Here are my top three:

"Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodet?" [translation: but who watches the watchmen?]

- Juvenal

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”

- Sirius Black

"We will not be slaves, but we will be conquerors."

- World of Warcraft (Warlords of Draenor)

LocustTheLurker

A logophile's turn-on:

"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other. It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words. My language trembles with desire."

-- Roland Barthes, A Lover's Discourse: Fragments, "Talking"

• 11 months later...

“Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.”
J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

"Evil takes a single thought. Goodness takes a lifetime to cultivate."

"Live drunk, die happy."

Vigilante in the Mask

"How much land does a man need after death?" Legend of the Condor Heroes

"There is no right and no wrong. No good. No evil. All is merely a perception." Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre

All my quotes are from martial arts dramas.

• 2 months later...

"People Die.....
Beauty Fades.....
Love Changes... 
And You Wll ALways Be Alone." 

"pulvis et umbra sumus." 

E herna e heath an Oros fi belony us thun eyon ash chi jor us. 
(may the magic of this earth course through my veins from this day unto my last!) Allanon

"wanting what you cannot have leads to misery in madness." paraphrased from Will Herondale

"What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stonger." Men of the Iron Islands 

"Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei." Monroe, Grimm

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…"
"What a stupid lamb."
"What a sick, masochistic lion..." Twilight

"swear on something important, something that matters."
"fishfingers and custard." The Impossible Astronaut 

"The more people you love, the weaker you are." Cersei Lannister

Momoko "人間は一人で生まれて、私たちは一人で考え、死ぬ単独"

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." 4x20 "Conflicted" - Criminal Minds - Reid

"For how should man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his father and the temples of his gods?" : Mr Jefferson, Dr Who, The Impossible Planet

"I dislike death, but there are things I dislike more than death, Therefore, there are occasions when I will not... Avoid Danger." Duncan & Methos -Chivalry

As Toshiko once said "naki tsura ni hachi."

Morgan: "Garcia, you listen to me. Take this gun –"
Garcia: "I don't believe in guns."
Morgan: "Trust me – they are very real."

Reid: "Thank you, Garcia."
Garcia: "You, my fine furry friends, are welcome."
Hotch: "Remind me to have her drug-tested."

Godric "kan du vara följeslagare i döden?"

"Do not attempt to adjust your set. This is a Streaming Freedom Video bulletin. The cable hack will last exactly 60 seconds. It cannot be traced, it cannot be stopped and it is the only free voice left in the city."

"You're a Yorkshire lass and Yorkshire lasses have iron in their souls."

“I've never swum naked in the Thames, but I know I wouldn't like it."
"But think how entertaining for sightseers," said Tessa, and she saw Jem duck his head to hide the quick flash of his grin.” - Jem Carstairs, Will Herondale, Tessa Gray

• 7 months later...
J. van Deijck
 "I am lonely, yet not everybody will do. I don’t know why, some people fill the gaps but other people emphasize my loneliness."
- Anais Nin

"I am a world that cannot be explored in one day. I am not a place for cowards."

but this is my special favourite because it's extremely relatable to me:
tumblr_osjenfxeU51rmw0cso1_1280.jpg
  • 1 month later...
WobblyWallaby

"For tyranny to flourish all it required was the complicity of good men.”

-Claire North, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

9 hours ago, kellyon said:

"You know what the issue is with this world? Everyone wants a magical solution for their problems, and everyone refuses to believe in magic." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Just to clarify, that's not from the Alice in Wonderland book, Lewis Carroll didn't write the quote. It's from the tv series, Once Upon a Time, according to IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2104520/quotes :)

p.s. I don't mean to pick on you. It's just that I was suspicious about the quote so I did some searching. It didn't sound like something he would have written, at least not with that phrasing.

• 2 weeks later...

"War is young men dying and old men talking" - Troy (movie)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret" - The Dish (movie)

"Those who talk the most have the least to say." - Matthew Prior

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"Writer's block: when your imaginary friends won't talk to you. Inspiration: when they won't shut up."

"Don't taunt the genius; that's why they turn evil."

"The richest aren't those with the most, but those who need the least."

"If you approach a matter in only one way, you are blinded to potential possibilities. "

"Revenge is best served cold. Revenge is sweet. Revenge is a flavor of ice cream."

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... or the laziest alternative to originality."

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong." - Clark's 3 Laws

All this fuss about sleeping together. For physical pleasure I'd sooner go to my dentist any day.  Evelyn Waugh

7 minutes ago, Zebrafinch said:

All this fuss about sleeping together. For physical pleasure I'd sooner go to my dentist any day.  Evelyn Waugh

Books are a uniquely portable magic - Stephen King

Highly organized research is guaranteed to produce nothing new. - Frank Herbert

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” ― Aldous Huxley

“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.” ― Isaac Asimov

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” ― Terry Pratchett, Diggers

“Sarah smiled, one of those little childish smiles she was so good at. It very nearly broke the Doctor’s heart. ‘You know what I think? I think you don’t really regenerate at all. I think you just keep taking off masks.” ― Lawrence Miles, Doctor Who: Interference - Book Two

Reader's Bill of Rights
1. The right to not read
2. The right to skip pages
3. The right to not finish
4. The right to reread
5. The right to read anything
6. The right to escapism
7. The right to read anywhere
8. The right to browse
9. The right to read out loud
10. The right to not defend your tastes
Daniel Pennac