Favorite quotes

scarletlatitude

50bff48f11f940ecee9eae5f5e8b9138.jpg

My mum is especially guilty of this. She has even given irrelevant replies before. She hears but she doesn't always listen and even if she listens, she doesn't always understand.

Grumpy Alien

9bb9ad853faaf4842c0d6d8e27245955.jpg

Squirrel Combat

See my profile for my favorite. No, I'm not just blowing my own horn.

Splatacus

I can think of several that I really like, including almost anything written by Douglas Adams, but the two that leap to mind first:

henry-ford-quotes-if-you-think-you-can.j

9f39c3fcf79074cc7a48526055d324fa.jpg

"Artists endure suffering that feels like pulling the entire universe out of their ass to create their works."

~ Sakata Gintoki, from Gintama

Grace Barton

You can see my favourite quotes in my signature. They're the ones I refer to when I'm feeling uninspired and need some motivation. I obviously don't include the one from me in that - that was just me being silly. XD

Null_and_Void

"It's good to lean from your failures, but I prefer to learn from the failures of others." - Jace Beleren

It's a quote from a fictional character. I have no idea what actual person wrote it.

scarletlatitude

553e7aa7c20ee19dfb6acb32c8df771e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

"I'm not okay. You're not okay. But that's okay."

~this comedian whose name won't come to mind

"If I had the answers I'd have written them out

So I can tell you what to do and what this thing is about

But everything I've learned comes secondhand

And I dare not preach what I don't understand"

~from Make a Move by Icon for Hire

• 2 weeks later...

"Am I in Hell? Does Hell have beds? You'd think they'd have beds of spikes. Or spiders. Or spiky spiders...spikers!"

~Bardock in Episode of Bardock Abridged

It's in my signature, helped me last time during a really really harsh motivation test :P

A Place With A Tree

"Death comes behind the back, not behind the sea."

-Russian saying

"Humans are the only animals on earth that run into house on fire to save a stranger, humans are also the only animals that set the strangers house on fire in the first place."

-My grandmother (yes i am quoting my grandma, she deserves it.)

"War doesnt determine who is right, only who remains."

-Finnish saying

"I am so clever that sometimes i dont understand a single word of what i am saying."

-Oscar Wilde

a-real-friend-is-one-who-walks-in-when-t

Your quote reminds me of something a friend of mine once said to me when Mum passed away: "You don't realise who your true friends are until you're really in the sh*t...."

scarletlatitude

12f77f51ec88d795647803e42cdf86eb.jpg

LocustTheLurker

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"

-- Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Truth has rushed to meet you since you called upon it. If you knew Who walks beside you on the way that you have chosen, fear would be impossible. You do not know because the journey into darkness has been long and cruel, and you have gone deep into it. A little flicker of your eyelids, closed so long, has not yet been sufficient to give you confidence in yourself, so long despised. You go toward love still hating it, and terribly afraid of its judgement upon you. And you do not realise that you are not afraid of love, but only of what you have made of it. You are advancing to love's meaning, and away from all illusions in which you have surrounded it. When. you retreat to the illusion your fear increases, for there is little doubt that what you think it means is fearful. Yet what is that to us who travel surely and very swiftly away from fear?

ACIM

I believe all suffering is caused by ignorance - 14th Dalai Lama

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional - Haruki Murakami

Wander every path. Only you can. But grasp: none may ever accompany you - Mark Z. Danielewski

LocustTheLurker

Listen--I want to run all my life, screaming at the top of my lungs. Let all of life be an unfettered howl. Like the crowd greeting the gladiator.

Don't stop to think, don't interrupt the scream, exhale, release life's rapture. Everything is blooming. Everything is flying. Everything is screaming, choking on its screams. Laughter. Running. Let-down hair. That is all there is to life.

-- Vladimir Nabokov's short story "Gods"

978368_orig.jpg

This was in a book I listened to yesterday which I liked:

My father would sigh, and escape into his world of isotopes and carbons. I learned that radioactive elements are by nature unstable and that they lose mass over time because of emissions from their nuclei.

But who cares? I'd ask my dad.

Well, he'd answer, holding his chin between his thumb and index finger. These radioactive elements decay in order to become more stable. I rather like that, he'd say.

VindicatorPhoenix

I've got a bunch of quotes that I love in my signature line, so I might as well throw in some other ones I like to avoid redundancy and avoid redundancy (oops, I already messed that up :D ).

"Once in a while it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world in the way they've been told." ~ Alan Keightley

"Apology doesn't mean that you were wrong or the other person was right. It means that your relationship is more important than your ego." ~ Anonymous

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." ~ Nietzsche

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition." ~ Steve Jobs

TooOldForThis

If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. - Terry Pratchett (via Havelock Vetinari)

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? - J.K. Rowling (via Albus Dumbledore)

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Edited slightly so they're not addressed to Harry or whatever :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived