Favorite quotes

scarletlatitude

• 4 weeks later...
imnotafreakofnature!

The ones in my signature line, and this one from The Little Prince movie: "It's only with the heart that one can see clearly. What's essential is invisible to the eye."

probably my favorite quote:

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.” (Douglas Adams)

In honor of it being October:

In the real world, babysitting is a groovy way for young people to learn responsibility (and earn a little pocket money). In the Terrorverse, it's a plot device used to kill teenagers.

According to the laws of early twenty-first century cinema, anyone speaking Japanese is in a horror movie.

10 PLACES TO NEVER, EVER, EVER GO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES:

Rooms lit by a single hanging light bulb.

Rooms lit by nothing.

Any graveyard that isn’t Arlington National Cemetery.

Summer camps whose annual counselor murder rate exceeds 10 percent.

Maine.

“The old_____________.”

Hotels/motels that aren’t part of giant international chains.

Upstairs.

Downstairs.

Any log cabin anywhere on the face of the earth.

Seth Grahame-Smith, How to Survive a Horror Movie

• 1 month later...

I hope it's not necromancy posting in this thread now, but I'm currently listening to the audiobook of "Goodbye Things" by Fumio Sasaki and he said some very insightful, interesting things. 

"We all have an app installed that recognizes loneliness. (...) and unfortunately, we can't remove this app. It's pre-installed by default and cannot be deleted." 

"I think that no matter how much of a lone wolf someone may appear to be, there's some level of desire within them to have another person - anyone - turn their attention to them."

"We need others to recognise our qualities, so we can believe our life is worth living." 

"The accumulation of small achievements is the only way to do something incredible." (he quoted a sportsperson here, but I didn't write down the name...)

FinneganCatch

"There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

I think the next best thing to solving a problem is finding some humor in it. Frank Howard Clark

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities. Theodor Geisel

Trust that little voice in your head that says "Wouldn't it be interesting if..."; And then do it. Duane Michals

I see now that the path I choose through that maze makes me what I am. I am not only a thing, but also a way of being--one of many ways--and knowing the paths I have followed and the ones left to take will help me understand what I am becoming.” - Daniel Keyes in Flowers for Algernon 

“In happiness the seeds of independence, and in independence the seeds of revolt.” - Mervyn Peake in Titus Groan

• 5 months later...
J. van Deijck

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

- William Gibson, Neuromancer 

"It didn't make any sense to feel the way he did, wary and a little disgusted.  The gender of the person interested in him didn't matter, or even whether he liked them or not.  Nothing seemed to make a difference.  He just wanted to back away whenever it happened.  It was like an itchy unwanted feeling on his skin — not an itch he needed to scratch, but one he wished would go away.  Something that required antifungal treatment, perhaps.  Sometimes he wished people didn't notice his physical body at all." A Quiet Man by Hollis Shiloh

‘You know the sound that the TARDIS makes, when it lands? That wheezing, groaning?’

‘Yes.’

‘I love it. Don’t you.’

‘Of course I love it.’

‘Then swear this,’ she said, taking my hand. ‘Swear that wherever that sound is heard, it will bring hope.’

‘I swear it.’

Her grip on my hand was tighter now. ‘No, swear it and mean it. Swear that anyone, anywhere, who hears that sound will turn and look, and know they’re not alone.’

‘I swear it. I swear on both my hearts, and all my lives, that whoever hears that sound will know they are not alone.’

The Day of the Doctor by Steven Moffat

"Listen, Morty, I hate to break it to you, but what people call "love" is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage."

-Rick Sanchez

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

"The ultimate act of courage is to sacrifice for what you value."

-Me

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

It is not for me to judge another man's life. I must judge, I must choose, I must spurn, purely for myself. For myself, alone

- Herman Hesse-

The highest result of education is tolerance.

- Hellen Keller -

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 6/2/2018 at 9:55 PM, [noize:injekktion] said:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

- William Gibson, Neuromancer 

Definitedly one of my personal faves! *high 5*

StupidDream

"Oh, a sarcasm detector. Oh, that's a real useful invention" 😂

If we are doing book quotes then "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen" *shivers*

"The approval of a cat cannot but flatter the recipient." Amelia Peabody - The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog

"love has a most unfortunate effect on the brain," Amelia Peabody - Crocodile on the Sandbank

"Another dead body. Every year it is the same. Every year, another dead body..." Abdullah - Lion in the Valley

"The way to get on with a cat is to treat it as an equal - or even better, as the superior it knows itself to be." Amelia Peabody Emerson - The Crocodile on the Sandbank

"There was no warning, not even a knock. The door flew open, and he forgot his present aches and pains in anticipation of what lay in store. The figure that stood in the door was not that of an enemy. It was worse. It was his mother." From Ramses Emerson's POV - The Ape Who Guards the Balance

Amelia Peabody Mysteries by Elizabeth Peters

J. van Deijck
3 hours ago, Deus Ex Infinity said:

Definitedly one of my personal faves! *high 5*

yay! :D I knew you'd understand me :3

I even have a tank top with this quote :D

Blissful_Sins

"The walls have ears." 

The problem with an open mind is that people try to put stuff in it.

The pen is mightier than the sword only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp.

Both. Terry prachett quote

Kitteη χ

"One day, dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm, I'm gonna run, I'm gonna run into the woods, and I'm never gonna come back, and when I come back, I'm gonna be the knife master."

- Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan

"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions."

Commander Shepard

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

― Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

5 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

― Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

Vimes is one of my favorite characters, other than DEATH.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deus Ex Infinity

“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”  ― F. Scott Fitzgerald

Archived