(Trigger Warning) Who raised you

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

(TW) Who raised you?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following people filled the traditional role of a parent in your life?

• Biological/birth mother
    • Biological father
    • Adoptive mother
    • Adoptive father
    • Grandmother
    • Grandfather
    • Aunt
    • Uncle
    • Brother
    • Sister
    • The system (foster care, orphanage etc)
    • Foster Mother
    • Foster Father
    • Other relation
    • Friends
    • Parent(s) of friends
    • Prefer not to answer
    • Other (not related)
    • Step father
    • Step mother
  2. 2. How many people raised you

• None (foster situation where you were given the bare minimum to survive etc)
    • 8-12
    • 13+
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Just curious, sorry if this is hard for anyone

Hugs xxxx

EDIT: I have added options for step parents, sorry.
If an admod could change the votes of those who wish it, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Personally, my friends raised me. My parents literally never did anything but set rules and buy me things; there was no real raising by them.

So should i be clicking 3 boxes or just one here?

My mom, because my parents divorced when I was pretty young.

My mom, I guess, up until I was nine and she died. After that it was kinda all over the place with other relatives of different sort but no one really taking full responsibility. Especially not my dad. I love him. But man was he just never fit to be a parent. He got lucky that I was such a low maintenance kid, because I'll be damned if he ever made sure I did homework, brushed my teeth or took a bath.

My mom raised me, dad had a little part too, but they never made sure if I do my homework, brush my teeth or if I really go to school :lol: , my father never knew in what school I am, but it was cool cause I was always responsible with those things and even now they say that they never had to push me to do the right things. On the other part, they were obsessed in knowing if I had a proper meal and if I am home when it was getting dark.

WhenSummersGone

My biological mother and father. The emotional parenting part wasn't and isn't good but other than that I'm doing fine.

both my mother and father were very involved in my upbringing, and i still have a good relationship with both.

Star Bit, I can't quote on this browser, but I just wanted to say please tick however many boxes you need to describe the situation as closely as possible, and by that I mean your truth, if your truth means ticking friends, parents AND no-one, then that is your truth, likewise if you feel that your friends raised you alone, then please tick that one, or whichever you choose. Hugs to you, and everyone who has posted so far.

I was adopted when I was just a few months old. I love both of my adoptive parents, they were in their 40's when they adopted me so I'm part of the older parents team. I'm not even slightly curious about my biological parents. I don't wanna meet them, I don't care about them. I don't hate them, but they are not relevant in my life.

There's no such thing as perfect parents but I think my parents are perfect for me <3

Guest Sheka4

I was raised by my mother, I know who my paternal parental unit is, but there are a lot of actions on their part that can be summed up to emotional and physical abuse and just other bullshit that has led me to completely exercise the family unit on the paternal side from my entire life, so I'm really happy to have been raised by my mother.

At 53yrs...I'm still being raised. An aunt remains my only living 'guardian' and, I sense, we've still got a long way to go yet! :ph34r:

I'd say I'm technically still being raised by my biological Mother and my maternal Grandma (I live with them, my younger sister and our pets).

My parents divorced when I was about seven, he remarried and then passed away in 2009.

Nothing more to it.

My biological mom and after the age of 6 with my adoptive dad. We joke he dated us, not just her. My grandma & her husband were a big part of my early years too, but I think it would be a stretch to say they raised me. My grandma's husband, who was my favorite grandpa by a long shot, was my first close death and I am pretty sure I went into a depression partly because of that. Thankfully it wasn't a full depression, but it had a significant effect on my attempt to go to college.

Both of my biological parents, now sadly no longer alive. They were bloody strict though.

Boringly I was raised by both parents until I was 14 when they separated, then just my mother. In all fairness mine was about as close to the optimum upbringing as you could wish for.

How is this a trigger warning?

How is this a trigger warning?

Perhaps because it might remind people of a rough childhood? ?_?

Everyone but my parents. I was fobbed off on absolutely anyone when my mother decided it was her life's mission to sleep with everything with a pulse and a penis. Funnily enough my dad couldn't take it either.

Squirrel Combat

My parents were and still are pretty supportive. I just need to fly away from the nest now.

My biological parents. (Though I'm not sure if my mom is in fact, my biological/birth mom).

And Now The Weather

No option for stepparents? Or would that just count as other?

Define traditional parental role. My parents stayed together until I was 15, but my dad was pretty much just a paycheck and had little to do with the kids. However, in some views, the father just kinda being there and providing money is their role. My grandmother and my mom were the ones that did the nurturing though.

I was mostly raised by my bio mom and my step father, and to a slight degree my maternal grandparents and a great aunt. But probably mostly my mom, since my step father worked long shifts (where he was gone days at a time; that and he had a side job) and not only that he was an alcoholic and could be quite miserable to be around. My mom also had a lot of health problems when I was a child. That, coupled with my step father's shift work, meant I spent a decent amount of time at my grandparents house, where my great aunt also lived. It's unfortunate that my grandfather passed away when I was ten, as he was much more of a father figure than my step father was.

BTW my bio father was a womanizer whom my mom divorced when I was about 9 months old because she caught him cheating. He was too busy chasing skirt to bother with me or my half brother, so he could come up and knock on my door and I'd have no idea who he was.

Grumpy Alien

My (biological and birth) mom was and is my mom and only parent figure. But her mom and sister helped raise me.

drjohnhwatson

My biological mother and father raised me. My dad also raised my mom's first child and basically adopted her; in fact, I didn't even know she was my half sister until some random girl told me in middle school that she was my sister's sister. But that's another can of worms. :lol:.

scarletlatitude

With the first poll, I have to say my parents technically. I still have both.

But as for how many people raised me... well then you'd have to consider every adult in my family. :P 8 uncles, 7 aunts, 4 grandparents, 1 great grandparent, 1 older sister, several of older sister's friends, and other family peoples.

I voted 2- just my genetic parents.

But that's because there were an awful lot of very important adults for me who didn't really do enough to be quite parents. However, some teachers, some family friends, and my first boss, did an awful lot of parenting.

My mother was enough ashamed of me to pretend we weren't related when I was still a kid. I attempted suicide for the first time when I was nine. I don't really feel like my parents did nearly enough parenting... but they still did do a lot.

I wanted to be raised by forest animals, or possibly space aliens, or elves, but I was raised by my suburban family, especially by my mother and my two older sisters. I had three moms! Rather strict ones. My dad was (and is) my pal.

Archived