Are asexuals more inclined to be attracted to the same sex than sexuals?

NoLongerWanted

Janus the Fox
I am, though in terms of attractions, its a bit ambigous, theres a slight aesthetic preference for the same sex. If I am interested in a relationship, its more likely be with another guy, with a deep emotional and romantic connection, similarities and whatever else a relationship has to hold if it ever happens at all. Otherwise im deeply involved in virtual Fetish communities, there though, my dealings with virtual sexual clients clearly favours the same sex more than the opposite.

I suppose I prefer women but it has little to do with being because I'm asexual...at least not the way you describe. Gender doesn't matter to me so much on an individual basis, but as a whole I find girls more aesthetically pleasing and though everyone's different, girls tend to be more sympathetic and well....less entitled than men. Not to say all men are entitled but society tends to push guys into thinking they need to bang a chick to be worth anything and I've met far more guys than girls who think they're entitled to the girl they're dating or think I'm just a challenge. That and having a girlfriend would mean sharing clothes if we were the same size, and boobs are GREAT pillows and girls are just SO DARN CUTE!

Slightly more on topic, I do think someone who's asexual might be more likely to have a less strict preference romantically in terms of gender. I mean many people do have a set preference but it seems like it'd be more fluid than a sexuality where you might fall for someone but not realize it for what it is because you don't want to have sex with them as you would other people you've been romantically interested in. For an asexual person however, if you happen to meet someone outside your gender preference who somehow interest you anyway, you're more likely to recognize these feelings as there's no "Ah but I don't want to have sex with them" to make you question it.

That's what I think anyway. Partly because before realizing I was asexual I failed to recognize a crush of my own because I assumed attraction would accompany a crush.

infinityandbeyond

Not for me, always preferred friendships with girls over blokes and have never seen a man and found him aesthetically pleasing...If anything the opposite, I don't know what anyone sees in men. I just get along with women better and find the lack of machoism the best thing, more sincere.

Purnkin Spurce

Idk I tend to notice more hetero aces than anything. I myself tend to be more attracted to females.

Hm I would say it's an individual thing, but who knows, there may be some correlation.

Aesthetically, I can be attracted to anyone, and I mean anyone, I have no type whatsoever, it's completely random for me haha..

However, when it comes to romantic feelings (I'm bi-romantic), I tend to prefer females it seems. On the other hand, I'm a bit confused when it comes to emotions so it's often hard to tell what exactly I'm feeling. Sorry, I'm not being very helpful :/

That asexual guy

I prefer hanging out with guys to girls. I have more in common with them. It seems to me a lot of people only hang with the opposite sex when they are a couple.

Before I knew I was ace I always tried to force myself to think I was interested in some men. Nowadays I'm still hoping I'd fall in love (or at least get a squish.)

I get aesthetic attraction to anyone.

clueingforlooks

Aesthetically speaking, I view men and women pretty much the same attraction wise, but I've never formed a romantic bond with someone of my own gender.

I used to think I was only attracted to the opposite sex, but that was before I realized it was possible to like the same sex. My current crush is a trans guy, the one before that was a guy and the one before that was a girl. I think that since my crushes don't involve wanting sex, it doesn't matter what sex/gender the person is. The characteristics that belong to their gender are just part of their personality/appearance, and not general categories where I can only like people from one. That's how it works for me, but it probably doesn't work that way for everyone.

I find both men and women aesthetically attractive, but as far as romantic attraction I'm not really sure because I'v never felt that way for anyone. I've imagined myself in relationships with both men and women and both scenarios seem really nice, but I just feel like I would be more..comfortable with a girl; probably because there wouldn't be any expectations based on gender. This is also why I love androgynous people most of all (in personality, and also in looks for guys because I really don't like tall, hairy, burly men). I find femininity very attractive, and only some really subtle aspects of masculinity, but ultimately it's more like a mix of stuff with me because I don't like making a clear division between guys and girls. And I just like people who feel the same way, regardless of their gender.

But I'm sensually more attracted to girls.. It's just romantic attraction that I need to figure out, but in theory I could see myself with either of them.

I have noticed that when you remove sexual activity from the equation, another person's sex or gender becomes less relevant. At least this has been my observation from the time I have spent here.

I've actually been wondering the same thing for a while now. Sexuality is hella confusing, so I don't even have a definitive answer from my own findings, but I think I can say that only being interesting in non-sexual romantic/platonic relationships has made me more open to multiple genders. It's weird because people say that they don't really "change" their sexualities as they get older but I feel like I went from very hetero-oriented to a weird kind of panromantic? I don't really like putting labels on my sexuality, I don't know... all I can say is that my attraction to different genders feels different.

I've actually been wondering the same thing for a while now. Sexuality is hella confusing, so I don't even have a definitive answer from my own findings, but I think I can say that only being interesting in non-sexual romantic/platonic relationships has made me more open to multiple genders. It's weird because people say that they don't really "change" their sexualities as they get older but I feel like I went from very hetero-oriented to a weird kind of panromantic? I don't really like putting labels on my sexuality, I don't know... all I can say is that my attraction to different genders feels different.

I can relate. Before I knew about asexuality, I identified as straight (since I was never attracted to women, I had to be straight.) And so I kept picturing myself in a heterosexual relationship.

And now that I know sex isn't going to be a thing, it really doesn't matter.

In one way, I think asexuality is a bit freeing.

I feel like asexual people have more of an awareness of what types of attraction they feel and how they differ. I know for me, when I researched asexuality, I discovered I feel aesthetic attraction very strongly, and I think other girls especially are very beautiful. And since I am pretty solid in knowing that attraction is only aesthetic and not romantic, I am more open about it and it might seem to other people who aren't as aware of the different types of attraction that I am attracted to the same sex in more ways than that. So I think just the awareness of different types of attraction and a better understanding and confidence in ourselves and how we feel about people plays a role.

I don't think there's any answer to ALL asexuals, or even majority of asexuals, having anything in common, other than our asexuality, to be honest. In my experience, romantic orientations are as varied as with any other trait of people. Even when one says 'I date people of ___ gender/s/lack of' they can still mean wildly different things and sets of traits from other people using the same descriptor for the experience.

From my experience (fluctuating grey-ace/demi here, leaning hard over to the demi side of the spectrum) I don't tend to feel gender matters as much as individual people themselves. I tend to navigate toward certain fields of experience & upbringings & backgrounds more than anything else, if we happen to match in them, if we happen to match in how we view and navigate the world, I am fairly flexible about everything else.

I don't experience "attraction" at all. I do find aesthetic beauty in both sexes, though I appreciate it more and I feel it much, much more strongly in males...maybe because i think aesthetically pleasing men are just not as published and harder to find than pleasing women (who have their faces and boobs and butts plastered and advertised all over everything more often than males.)

EDIT: When it comes to women, I love complimenting women out the wazoo for their clothes, especially if they're cute or they're a neat color or accessorized well. I've already explained to someone that I'm not checking certain women out, I just LOVE their flair for clothes and style....with some things they wear are so cute!! :wub: But still I appreciate physical beauty in both sexes.

I much prefer men over women. The only real difference I've noticed between aces and sexuals is that a lot of the aces seem to be trans of some kind. I think it goes along with the dysphoria aspect of being trans :)

I don't think any romantic feelings I've felt for someone has been associated with their gender. The majority of people I've felt some kind of romantic feelings towards seem to have been male or non-binary/agender, but occasionally female as well. "Pan-" might be an appropriate prefix for me. (Also definitely panaesthetic in terms of aesthetic orientation.)

I get where the connection can be seen. Asexuals in the first place are going to have a higher chance of questioning and figuring out their romantic orientation than someone who is sexual. I had been learning about LGBT+ identities for a long while before ever hearing about a distinction between romantic and sexual orientations. Many who are only sexually attracted to one gender/sex might assume their romantic orientation corresponds to their sexual orientations, yet that's not always the case.